Popular Tags: [View All]
Cubby Moore
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking the app on Android so far. The campaign is a really cool idea.

However, I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the Hostile Brothers level and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. It's the level where you can't rotate tiles and not use any living room tiles. The objectives are to win, have more than 100 points, and not have any living room tiles in your castle.

I've played through about 20 times now and just get no where near winning when the opponent can sweep up all the living rooms. I haven't seen anyone else mention this level being a problem so I'm wondering if I'm playing it really poorly somehow.

Any tips from people who've beaten this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubbymoore wrote:

However, I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the Hostile Brothers level and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. It's the level where you can't rotate tiles and not use any living room tiles. The objectives are to win, have more than 100 points, and not have any living room tiles in your castle.

I've played through about 20 times now and just get no where near winning when the opponent can sweep up all the living rooms. I haven't seen anyone else mention this level being a problem so I'm wondering if I'm playing it really poorly somehow.

I can't beat it either for the same reason. I'd love to hear how others beat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you need a bit of luck and fewer living room tiles coming out in order to win this level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, wish I could help. I beat it the first day or two when the app came out and I can't for the life of me remember the special sauce. It did take me probably 10 tries though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cubby Moore
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
cubbymoore wrote:

I can't beat it either for the same reason. I'd love to hear how others beat it.

Glad to hear it's not just me!

I think I'm just going to have to keep trying and pray for a perfect storm.

I've tried a few more times since and either it gets to a point where neither player can place any further tiles and get stuck in a passing loop, or he's sweeping up points with the living rooms. It's mainly a struggle to get to the end really, I've been on course to get 100 with bonuses but then there are no more legal room placements. Very frustrating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizabeth Stanley
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I FINALLY just got through this cursed level. I didn't count (that would have been depressing), but I probably played at least 50 times.

I think I probably got very lucky, but I focused on placing Activity (brick red) rooms first and foremost, especially when able to connect an Activity room to another Activity room. These rooms have the most points other than the verboten (purple) living rooms (and you get a 5 point bonus for completing them).

I also tried to daisy-chain yellow rooms where I could, which allowed me to place more orange rooms and get bonus cards. I didn't place any blue rooms (the bonus on those isn't that helpful, IMO).

Final score: 143 (me) to 128 (the evil Duke Rot).

I realize this is largely luck, but hopefully this will help with your strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cubby Moore
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting about not using blue rooms.

I'd been using them in order to extend the game in order to get more points and more of the tiles I find useful, plus depleting stacks gets more points. But I guess the negative is that the longer the game goes the harder it is to finish.

I'll have to try using no blue rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razor Soup
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ah yes ... this one I cheesed out a bit. After trying a dozen times and never being able to either finish (everything blocked) or get enough points, I came up with a gamey strategy:

My first and primary goal was to get the computer player to get stuck. Once he (or she or it) couldn't move anymore, it would be relatively simple to pass myself enough to get to 100 points and then finish the game.

The challenge with this strategy is that since not as many rooms will be laid down by the other player, you have to absorb some extra rooms on your board - which is already pretty small for the total number of tiles.

So during play, I chose for myself small rooms and/or rooms with exits on the top (which are much more uncommon and needed to take full advantage of the geography). I incentivized the AI with big rooms with limited exits.

After a few tries, this (admittedly lame) strategy worked to get through this otherwise interesting level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RazorSoup wrote:
Ah yes ... this one I cheesed out a bit. After trying a dozen times and never being able to either finish (everything blocked) or get enough points, I came up with a gamey strategy:

My first and primary goal was to get the computer player to get stuck. Once he (or she or it) couldn't move anymore, it would be relatively simple to pass myself enough to get to 100 points and then finish the game.

The challenge with this strategy is that since not as many rooms will be laid down by the other player, you have to absorb some extra rooms on your board - which is already pretty small for the total number of tiles.

So during play, I chose for myself small rooms and/or rooms with exits on the top (which are much more uncommon and needed to take full advantage of the geography). I incentivized the AI with big rooms with limited exits.

After a few tries, this (admittedly lame) strategy worked to get through this otherwise interesting level.

I'm at this level now too. And This seems like a legitimate strategy to me. Admittedly a human opponent would probably catch on to your plan, but when the level is as tough as this, it doesn't feel wrong to exploit the AI's decision-making.

Thanks for the tip; I'll be trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.