Subject: A Hero can spend a defensive roll Surge to recover a Strain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the game and have been reading through the super useful SWImperialAssault_v1.4.pdf. It states "Surge - The attacker can spend to trigger special abilities. A hero may spend up to 1 Surge to recover 1 Strain." Is it true that the Hero can spend a defensive roll Surge to recover a Strain? If so, I must have missed it in the rule book. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessAndDestroy wrote:
I'm new to the game and have been reading through the super useful SWImperialAssault_v1.4.pdf. It states "Surge - The attacker can spend to trigger special abilities. A hero may spend up to 1 Surge to recover 1 Strain." Is it true that the Hero can spend a defensive roll Surge to recover a Strain? If so, I must have missed it in the rule book. Thanks.

Yep. It's in the various rule books several times, as well as three or four dozen threads here.

EDIT: Ha, that's what I get for reading too fast and making assumptions. See below... modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessAndDestroy wrote:
Is it true that the Hero can spend a defensive roll Surge to recover a Strain? If so, I must have missed it in the rule book. Thanks.

Defensive roll surge? Defense dice don't have surges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no surges in the defense dice. There are surges on the attack dice.

Special Situations regarding attacks, page 6 of the RRG wrote:
· During a campaign, a hero performing an attack may spend 1
to recover 1
. Limit once per attack.

Also note that if the hero hasn't suffered any strain and recovers 1
, he recovers 1mb instead.
(See Recover and Strain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Guthrie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, derp. You're right. There are no surges on defensive dice. I read Activation points 4 and 5 as one in my head, hence the "confusion. My bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But according to the wording of the rules, if you could FIND a way to generate a surge during a defensive roll, you COULD spend it to recover 1 strain. EXAMPLE: if you had a weapon, item or ability that triggered due to some part of the attack on you, and it generated a surge, you could use it that way. I won't site specific examples since all I have is the base set, but I have heard that there are character builds that allow for "counter-attack" skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
But according to the wording of the rules, if you could FIND a way to generate a surge during a defensive roll, you COULD spend it to recover 1 strain. EXAMPLE: if you had a weapon, item or ability that triggered due to some part of the attack on you, and it generated a surge, you could use it that way. I won't site specific examples since all I have is the base set, but I have heard that there are character builds that allow for "counter-attack" skills.

Actually not correct. The surge to recover strain ability is specific to performing an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
if you could FIND a way to generate a surge during a defensive roll, you COULD spend it to recover 1 strain. [...] but I have heard that there are character builds that allow for "counter-attack" skills.

I already quoted it. Only the hero performing the attack can spend a surge to recover strain.
Special Situations regarding attacks, page 6 of the RRG wrote:
· During a campaign, a hero performing an attack may spend 1
to recover 1
. Limit once per attack.

But you are right that there are some defensive abilities, such as Fenn's Adrenaline Rush that can recover strain. (Also, Murne Rin's Figurehead can let another hero within 3 spaces to remove a strain token - it is worded in a way that it cannot recover damage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Little
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

So does this mean any item/ability that allows you to recover strain, you treat it the same as rest? For example, the Adrenal Stim Supply Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louwlittle wrote:
a1bert wrote:

So does this mean any item/ability that allows you to recover strain, you treat it the same as rest? For example, the Adrenal Stim Supply Card.

Yes. All methods of recovering strain are able to recover damage when you recover more strain than you had suffered.

Remember that the verb must be 'recover', though. There are also mow methods to remove or discard strain and they can only affect suffered strain, not damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
There are also mow methods to remove or discard strain and they can only affect suffered strain, not damage.

I'm getting into the game after a year hiatus. Care to mention a few?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbe wrote:
Clipper wrote:
There are also mow methods to remove or discard strain and they can only affect suffered strain, not damage.

I'm getting into the game after a year hiatus. Care to mention a few?

Murne Rin's Figurehead checks that the ability targets a figure with strain.

Her Rebel Propaganda also lets discard strain tokens, which only applies to strain tokens. (It does not convert to discarding damage tokens if there are no strain tokens.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.