Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: When Exactly are Agenda cards played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Richardson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Question is in the title. I'm unsure of when to play Agenda cards, more specifically the mission agenda cards. Are these played at the beginning of another mission, at any time, during the end of a mission? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They vary. Each card will say when they can be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you purchase an agenda card (during the last step of the upgrade stage), do what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Basically, you can put the agenda mission card next to the active mission area. Then, as the card says, the next time the Rebel player chooses a side mission, they can choose to do the Agenda mission (which would then be recorded as a side mission in the log). Otherwise, if they choose a different side mission, you will receive the agenda reward regardless after the other mission is resolved.

Take "Dark Obsession" for example. It's basically like the Rebels have intercepted information that the Imperial player is trying to recruit Vader's help in the campaign. They can choose to try to attempt to block that support, but delay their other projects. Otherwise, they can focus elsewhere, but the Empire will still be able to get Vader without opposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For specifically the Mission Agenda cards, there are two types:

Agenda Side Missions cards are immediately added to the active mission pool from which the next Side Mission will be picked. When the Rebels next choose a side mission, they will be forced to choose whether to attempt the agenda side mission to stop you getting the reward, or doing a different side mission and giving you the reward for free after the other mission completes.

Agenda Forced Missions cards are immediately played and they represent the next Mission that will be played (putting the Campaign on hold). The Upgrade phase ends and you play out the forced mission. There is no upgrade phase after the forced mission, you instead resume the campaign as the mission after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
For specifically the Mission Agenda cards, there are two types:

Agenda Side Missions cards are immediately added to the active mission pool from which the next Side Mission will be picked. When the Rebels next choose a side mission, they will be forced to choose whether to attempt the agenda side mission to stop you getting the reward, or doing a different side mission and giving you the reward for free after the other mission completes.

Agenda Forced Missions cards are immediately played and they represent the next Mission that will be played (putting the Campaign on hold). The Upgrade phase ends and you play out the forced mission. There is no upgrade phase after the forced mission, you instead resume the campaign as the mission after that.

Right, Forced missions typically act as a sort of "Part 2" to a previous mission, and therefore must break typical campaign structure to immediately follow the previous mission.

One hypothetical example might be a mission that takes place on the Milennium Falcon. If the Rebels lose, then a forced mission might come into play in which the Falcon has crashed on Sullust, and the Rebels must try to find parts to repair the freighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just described a Story Forced Mission, which has slightly different timing. When a Mission tells you to play a Forced Mission, you play that one immediately without going to the Upgrade Stages. You perform the Upgrade Stages after the Forced Mission and continue the Campaign from there.

This differs to buying a Forced Mission from the Agenda deck which works as I described above. while Story Forced Missions essentially become a suffix to the previous mission, Agenda Forced Missions become more of a prefix to the next one instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Richardson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
This is what I was confused on specifically. Thank you so much for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
You just described a Story Forced Mission, which has slightly different timing. When a Mission tells you to play a Forced Mission, you play that one immediately without going to the Upgrade Stages. You perform the Upgrade Stages after the Forced Mission and continue the Campaign from there.

This differs to buying a Forced Mission from the Agenda deck which works as I described above. while Story Forced Missions essentially become a suffix to the previous mission, Agenda Forced Missions become more of a prefix to the next one instead.

Interesting- I don't know if I've come across any agenda deck Forced missions yet. I'll have to go through my deck and see if I ever played one as a regular side mission by mistake.

(note: When my friends and I play, we usually play for fun rather than super competitively- so as the Imp player, I usually focus on Agenda sets for villains that would make the campaign more interesting. If those missions tend to not be forced, that could explain how I missed it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.