12 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Frigate vs. Galleon -- why buy a frigate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If frigates cost the same as the galleons, and galleons are only worse in one category (Maneuverability), then why in the world would anyone buy a frigate? I feel like the frigate should be cheaper or you should play with the Cutthroat variant where a galleon has a maneuverability of 1 instead of 2. That is the only way I can see a frigate being a better choice.

Am I missing something? (I haven't read all of the missions/rumours/event cards, so does something ever come into effect where a frigate would be better to have?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't do much in merchant raids with a low maneuverability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been debated ad nauseum.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/606125/frigate-vs-galleon-p...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/614266/best-solution-galleo...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/623907/frigate-vrs-galleon-...

...just for starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
make the Galleon Maneuverability of '1',
and problem solved, like with the expansion 'Seas of Glory'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, I wish I wasn't so lazy as to not page through all the other forum posts. Thank you for the quick response. It seems like lowering the maneuverability is the best way (or remind people that getting a ship mod on a frigate makes it 2 higher, hence the bonus seamenship roll).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
Oh, I wish I wasn't so lazy as to not page through all the other forum posts.

You know you can do a search instead of paging through, right? It wouldn't take a minute to pull up a dozen threads on the subject if you know how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I remember trying to do the same with the Geeklist and had a hard time searching and figured there wasn't a way to do that. I now see the light! Thank you for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinster
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb

Because, it's more fun to say... "Frigate".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan David
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
So. Been dying to get my hands on this game past two weeks and just played my first "casual/learn/no PC-targeting" game. Same question arose.

Not going to thumb thru the ad nauseum forum debates, but I believe it's right the way it stands.

The game balances Merchants vs Marauders. Can't make either without weakness or it just becomes one or the other. The precision in the Frigate is that it is a cheap alternative to the Galleon.
_9/10 times you're not going to buy it over the Galleon._

But I saw rumours and missions that can give it for free. Also naval ships early but still ripe for boarding. That good middle ship for a pirate. Snatch it early and throw two or three upgrades on it and it becomes a long-term tool until you can buy that Galleon or snag that Man-O.

And yes, merchants are more hard pressed at 3.
My take on it, and I believe it's brilliantly thought out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Son0fGun wrote:
So. Been dying to get my hands on this game past two weeks and just played my first "casual/learn/no PC-targeting" game. Same question arose.

Not going to thumb thru the ad nauseum forum debates, but I believe it's right the way it stands.

The game balances Merchants vs Marauders. Can't make either without weakness or it just becomes one or the other. The precision in the Frigate is that it is a cheap alternative to the Galleon.

But I saw rumours and missions that can give it for free. Also naval ships early but still ripe for boarding. That good middle ship for a pirate. Snatch it early and throw two or three upgrades on it and it becomes a long-term tool until you can buy that Galleon or snag that Man-O.

And yes, merchants are more hard pressed at 3

The first bold is wrong. The Fregate and the Galleon has exactly the same price. Did you include the expansion and are thinking about the Brig? Or since you think, that no one will buy the Fregate, do you mean that the Fregate is a watered down Galleon? That is true for all stats except for manuverabilty. Which makes all the difference in merchant raids and so it does make a lot of sence to buy a Fregate, if you are taking that rute to victory.

Getting a Man-o-war is extremely rare and hardly worth the risk. It is a cool thing to do, but not something which is a winning strategy to go out of your way to accomplish.

What do you mean by the second bold part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan David
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Randor20 wrote:
Son0fGun wrote:

And yes, merchants are more hard pressed at 3

The first bold is wrong. The Fregate and the Galleon has exactly the same price. Did you include the expansion and are thinking about the Brig? Or since you think, that no one will buy the Fregate, do you mean that the Fregate is a watered down Galleon? That is true for all stats except for manuverabilty. Which makes all the difference in merchant raids and so it does make a lot of sence to buy a Fregate, if you are taking that rute to victory.

Getting a Man-o-war is extremely rare and hardly worth the risk. It is a cool thing to do, but not something which is a winning strategy to go out of your way to accomplish.

What do you mean by the second bold part?

Sorry. Should have been more clear.

First bold: Meant that there should be a couple Naval Frigates that you can steal early on. Hence cheaper than buying.

Second: Frigate vs Galleon maneuverability against an NP merchant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Son0fGun wrote:
First bold: Meant that there should be a couple Naval Frigates that you can steal early on. Hence cheaper than buying.

That's quite a gamble. In ship-to-ship combat between a sloop and a frigate, the sloop is simply out-matched. If you can pull it off, that's pretty awesome. More likely though you get yourself killed and then you're just behind, since this game is basically a race for glory points. Buying a frigate is much safer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.