Hide
3 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Which map model is better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LAO WEILIN
msg tools
I want to make a new terra mystica map,the topic is a island on the centre,there are some map models,which one is best?

other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The existing maps have room for 29 (original/revised map) resp. 33 (expansion map) bridges.

Your map 1 has room for 10 bridges, 3+4 for 6 bridges and the rest for even less.

Furthermore, I suggest to start with maps where the number of land hexes is a multiple of 7 so that every color gets the same amount of hexes. The existing maps all have 77 land hexes and 35 resp. 36 river hexes (depending on whether the top row has 12 or 13 hexes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lewis
msg tools
Hi Lao,

Agreed with everything Doc said.

These designs are beautiful. That said, if you let your knowledge of Terra Mystica fundamentals guide you, beauty will emerge from utility .

Try to have most tiles be next to a river, and nearly every tile within 1 tile of a river (only Dwarves/Fakirs and the best digging factions could reach deep landlocked tiles). Long thin shipping lanes give factions multiple opportunities to connect their buildings, expand to nearby areas, and bridge between them for towns.

Start with simple, straightforward designs, because the hardest part is balancing all the colors and factions. It took months and 8 designs before I made one that didn't have dramatically over- or under-powered factions. Happy mapping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.