Subject: ASL Chapter K MGs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm digging through paratrooper right now and upon getting to mortars it claims you should have gone through MG training but... I must have missed it? Rifles, CC, Morale, Concealment,... what am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I'm digging through paratrooper right now and upon getting to mortars it claims you should have gone through MG training but... I must have missed it? Rifles, CC, Morale, Concealment,... what am I missing?

Well, the text says nothing about "MG training" -- what it actually says is "By now you chowderheads have had some experience with SW and fired a machine gun or two.". But you're right, as far as I can see, the only interaction with SW up to this point is portaging a MTR. Mind you, I didn't read the examples line-by-line.

Chapter K was an experiment from way back in the early days of ASL that was deemed only partially successful at best; some folks found it valuable, but many didn't. It was an attempt to counteract the "reference only" nature of the main rules. Personally, I think it contains some information that might be helpful to an absolute newb, but is no substitute for learning-by-playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only does Chapter K not address MG fire, including Fire Lanes, but also Residual FP. These are significant concepts that ought to have been addressed before moving on to Ordnance. This is all the more surprising given that Day 3 explains Snap Shots, Spraying Fire, and Dash. Other key concepts such as Encirclement are also absent.

The original intent of Chapter K was to help those who played Squad Leader transistion to ASL. IMO, it did a poor job of this; and it has even less value for players new to the system.

Instead, I'd recommend using Jay Richardson's tutorials as a starting point to learning the system. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40482/jay-richardsons-asl...

Get the basics down before moving on to ordnance (and vehicles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.