Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Fight for Olympus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nestor and Heracles (or Nestor generally) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
Nestor allows adjacent units to attack twice. Heracles says "Before Heracles attacks, you may inflict 2 damage total on one or two enemy units of your choice."

When Heracles is adjacent to Nestor, does he inflict 2 damage twice (once before each attack) or once (once before "Heracles attacks" no matter how many times he's attacking)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the ability allows him to deal the extra 2 damage before each attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it only happens once, because that really makes him too powerful.

It says "Before Heracles attacks", not "every time Heracles attacks."

Just my take. He's destructive enough already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias C.
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
I would say that the ability allows him to deal the extra 2 damage before each attack.


That's perfectly correct.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
Sleeran wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:
I would say that the ability allows him to deal the extra 2 damage before each attack.

That's perfectly correct.

Thanks for answering, Matthias! Wow, Heracles can be even more of a bully than he normally is. Some of those multicolor heroes are astoundingly powerful, and you feel compelled to keep defenses in hand in case they're played against you — but that means you risk ceding momentum on the board since you're not committing forces to the fight. Tricky...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
Sleeran wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:
I would say that the ability allows him to deal the extra 2 damage before each attack.

That's perfectly correct.

Thanks for answering, Matthias! Wow, Heracles can be even more of a bully than he normally is. Some of those multicolor heroes are astoundingly powerful, and you feel compelled to keep defenses in hand in case they're played against you — but that means you risk ceding momentum on the board since you're not committing forces to the fight. Tricky...


Plus they're balanced out from any opposing character that affects a certain color. Especially those that say "Does not take damage from (color)." Since the white cards are all colors, they are affected by any of those effects.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
FunkyBlue wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:
Sleeran wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:
I would say that the ability allows him to deal the extra 2 damage before each attack.

That's perfectly correct.

Thanks for answering, Matthias! Wow, Heracles can be even more of a bully than he normally is. Some of those multicolor heroes are astoundingly powerful, and you feel compelled to keep defenses in hand in case they're played against you — but that means you risk ceding momentum on the board since you're not committing forces to the fight. Tricky...

Plus they're balanced out from any opposing character that affects a certain color. Especially those that say "Does not take damage from (color)." Since the white cards are all colors, they are affected by any of those effects.

Sort of. You can plop one of those color hosers in front of Heracles to keep the opponent from getting the bonus and whittle away at him over several turns, but you're still at risk of having any other characters that you play wiped from the board. I've played six times, but I need more plays to determine what kind of defenses or counterattacks work best for characters like these.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:
Sleeran wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:
I would say that the ability allows him to deal the extra 2 damage before each attack.

That's perfectly correct.

Thanks for answering, Matthias! Wow, Heracles can be even more of a bully than he normally is. Some of those multicolor heroes are astoundingly powerful, and you feel compelled to keep defenses in hand in case they're played against you — but that means you risk ceding momentum on the board since you're not committing forces to the fight. Tricky...

Plus they're balanced out from any opposing character that affects a certain color. Especially those that say "Does not take damage from (color)." Since the white cards are all colors, they are affected by any of those effects.

Sort of. You can plop one of those color hosers in front of Heracles to keep the opponent from getting the bonus and whittle away at him over several turns, but you're still at risk of having any other characters that you play wiped from the board. I've played six times, but I need more plays to determine what kind of defenses or counterattacks work best for characters like these.


After about a dozen plays I'm not entirely convinced that Hercales isn't a tad on the over powered side. Not necessarily game breaking but he doesn't require too much effort for how much utility he has while being very difficult to counter. In fact, the two cards that I found to be very hard to deal with are Heracles and Hector because of their very high health and indirect damage. We found that they were single handedly swinging momentum to the controlling player unless countered immediately with very specific cards for the very reasons Eric listed. I also want to get more experience with the game to learn exactly how to defend against these very powerful cards but for now I am treating them like "advanced cards" that I have removed from the game to learn the basic strategies without having them dominate so often. I intend to add them back in once I get more experienced and see if they are still fun to play with. Aside from those two I haven't found any other cards to be so blatantly (and effortlessly) powerful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias C.
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heracles and all the big critters were colored for a long time during the design. After many tests, the color system turned out to be not flexible enough.

Enjoy fighting!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It's Hercules ... he should be over-powered.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.