Subject: Cards Played For NPC Trog Battles Aren't Replaced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to double-check - in a 2-3 player game, where a player is controlling a Trog force in a battle and they play card(s) for tactics from their hand - those cards aren't replaced, are they?

Was wondering because there seems to be very little incentive to do so, unless it's a key situation and you really want the opposing player to lose the battle, because though you're stopping that player gaining points/ground, you're not getting anything, yourself, from winning that battle, so your cards are probably more effectively used for your own actions and battles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
Just wanted to double-check - in a 2-3 player game, where a player is controlling a Trog force in a battle and they play card(s) for tactics from their hand - those cards aren't replaced, are they?

Was wondering because there seems to be very little incentive to do so, unless it's a key situation and you really want the opposing player to lose the battle, because though you're stopping that player gaining points/ground, you're not getting anything, yourself, from winning that battle, so your cards are probably more effectively used for your own actions and battles?

The tactics you play on behalf of the Trogs are placed into your discard pile, and you do not draw replacements.

It's risk reward management, and there are times when you might want to make sure the Trogs win the battle, but I've found that to be rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, thought not but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:

They are not replaced. Your incentives are numerous:
1. Your opponent could lose a Unit as a prisoner, reducing their army size
2. You can force them out of the region, placing an orange token, and creating a wall between your territory and theirs
3. You can cause attrition, leaving them in the territory weak

In many ways, you can use the Trogs to do your bidding.

Finally, it's a good way to bring shame upon your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. Sha-aaaame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought to use cards to help the trogs win! The question I have then is, if you're playing a 3 player game, how do you decide who controls the trog player? Is it whoever volunteers to do so or is there a system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
I never thought to use cards to help the trogs win! The question I have then is, if you're playing a 3 player game, how do you decide who controls the trog player? Is it whoever volunteers to do so or is there a system?

Player to the left of the player fighting against the trogs.

Rulebook, pg 10 wrote:
Note: When battling the Trogs in games with 2 or 3 players, the first player to the left of the player fighting against the Trogs controls the Trogs in the Battle. This includes placing Trog Units on Battle Objectives and playing Tactics cards from their hand. Trogs never score Victory Points and cannot win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow i totally missed that part in the rules. When my friends and i were playing the trogs became a collaborative discussion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting dilemma - the player controlling the Trogs for that battle won't gain anything (e.g. points for kills) from the battle, nor will they re-draw cards used, so any cards played are effectively burned. However you may want to throw a spanner in someone else's works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.