Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just played a great 5 player game of cosmic. I ended up winning solo, but I did so by playing the "Rift 1" from Cosmic Dominion. It is a rather anticlimactic win as the only thing that could stop me would have been the omni-zap. Still a great game but the conclusion kinda fizzed.

So just wanted to hear the options of all you very experienced players. How do you feel about this particular card?
I personally think that you shouldn't be allowed to gain your fifth colony this way.

cheers

edited typo in title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Have do you feel about the "Rift 1"
There are a couple of cards in the CD reward deck that can essentially do this, which is kind of why that reward deck is so terrifying. I'm rather disinclined to invite on the defense when using it, unless it's been mixed with the reward deck from CI (and even then, I worry). Unfortunately, that is the opposite effect I intended with the reward deck in the first place, but what the heck- you have to turn the game on its ear every now and then.

As players get more familiar with the cards in it, the more they will remember these situations. The Rift 1 requires that there by an empty planet, which doesn't happen that often in the game, and as players recall the Rift 1, they will endeavor more to maintain ships, just in case. I'd be more worried about the Duplicity Kicker that screws your allies, so you can win alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Farkas
Hungary
Gyömrő
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need 4 things to play this card:
- of course, you have to own the card
- need a totally empty planet
- you must be the offense
- no omni-zapping from the other players

I think if you can get a colony with Rift 1 then you deserve it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, i get what you guys are saying.
it was actually the second game in a row to end this way, (last time I was one of the losers)
I think my main problem is that I dont have any kind of regular cosmic-(or gaming-) group. So there is always quite a few very inexperienced players. This always leds to everybody inviting everybody (on defence especially), resulting in alot of chaos from all the reward cards, alot of ships in the warp and alot of empty planets. Still a very fun game, but a bit too random for my taste. shake

I guess i'll sort the reward deck a bit when playing with new players, maybe just remove the dominion half cry. There is plenty cards for noobs to learn and remenber as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
The reward deck is definitely not something I would ever throw at new players — and especially not the Cosmic Dominion half of it. The intimidates alone are enough to befuddle even some veterans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the consensus here -- it's okay to leave out the rewards decks with newer players. As much as I enjoy the new cards in Cosmic Dominion (bias alert!), I wouldn't recommend them for inexperienced players.

Jack, I haven't seen that effect on defensive alliances in my group, but I'll start watching for it. Anyone else seeing that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Jack, I haven't seen that effect on defensive alliances in my group, but I'll start watching for it. Anyone else seeing that?

Yes, but in our case it's a case of getting more experienced as well. We were inviting people as defensive allies almost by default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.