Subject: Tank Assault Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my tank which has a MF of 10. I have used 3 MP's to get to the hex I want to be in and on the way I overran a half squad that was shaken so automatically eliminated them. I now wish to use my Assault Move capability to fire at the enemy who are 2 hexes in front of me. My questions are:

1) Are shaken units automatically overrun by tanks and eliminated
2) Can I still conduct an assault move if I overran a unit that I didn't have to fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

15.2: Vehicles cannot use AM to perform an Overrun.

Also, Shaken enemy units are not automatically eliminated by an Overrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the case even if they were already shaken when I entered the hex? If I enter into a melee with a shaken unit it is automatically eliminated so why wouldn't a tank do the same thing?

Basically I'm driving down the road. A shaken unit is in the way so I run over them and continue on my way to conduct an AM against the unit I am after. Seeing as the shaken unit can't fight back surely they just get crushed by my tank. I can't possibly have to drive around them do I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Is that the case even if they were already shaken when I entered the hex? If I enter into a melee with a shaken unit it is automatically eliminated so why wouldn't a tank do the same thing?

Basically I'm driving down the road. A shaken unit is in the way so I run over them and continue on my way to conduct an AM against the unit I am after. Seeing as the shaken unit can't fight back surely they just get crushed by my tank. I can't possibly have to drive around them do I?

In a Melee, you have to stop in the hex, thus your troops are in the process of stabbing/shooting the Shaken enemies to death, etc. You don't get to roll right through (unless you have Running Killer Skill).

In the Overrun, you still have to spend the extra 4 MPs (read: effort to kill those enemy troops) to enter and to move through the hex. Going around them may cost less than the extra 4 MPs to do the Overrun, maybe not. You have to make a tactical decision.

Plus, rules are rules. You can't AM into an Overrun b/c you are firing your weapons at the unit you would be overrunning and not saving your ammo for the target after you finish your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Just doesn't seem very logical that's all. Why would I stop to shoot at a shaken enemy cowering on the ground when I'm in a tank!! And I certainly wouldn't drive around him just because I needed to save my ammo for my other target.

Seems a bizarre rule that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have to think about the scale of things. A hex is 50 meters across. That's a lot of space and you are only 1 tank and the enemy is about 10 guys who are cowering and trying they best not to be seen or shot at. They are not just lying in the road waiting to be run over or shot where they lay.

The 4 movement penalty represents your tank having to drive all over the hex hunting down the scattered enemy soldiers.

Why you HAVE to pay the penalty and are not just allowed to drive through without attacking is that no tank commander in his right mind would get close to enemy soldiers without guns blazing. Just because you the player knows the enemy won't shoot back doesn't mean your tank commander knows that.

It's all an abstraction to try and capture how units and people in the fight would actually react.

***Edit for typos***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh that makes sense. More annoyed that I now have to redo my last game log as I have got it all wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.