Subject: Comprehensive thread for custom scenario generation tools rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Edit: I changed the title of the thread, because I currently lack the time for continuing/rewriting madmap, but other people posted their own works here, so I do not want to close it. Also, its a nice place to gather all information on the various projects.

Hi,

so, I guess everyone agrees that MoM2 would greatly benefit from a scenario editor, especially due to the fact that with all the first edition stuff in the mix, there really is a lot of "physical content" available that is currently unused.
Also, afaik FFG did not react in any way to the UGC scenario builder request. So without further ado, I present to you:

Madmap, a javascript project for semi-interactive haunted house style games
GitHub

So what is this, exactly?

Good question! Basically it is a scripted website that kinda behaves like the app. Some stuff is not done yet, it is work in progress.

Wtf this looks like shit!

Yes it does. It is a proof of concept, it is not important how it looks. It serves the sole purpose of showing that all functions of the app can be (feasibly) emulated in the browser.
Making a greenish white popup window look cool with a border graphic, dark colors and fancier buttons will eventually be pretty easy.

Why did you do this

Because when I read that thread with the scenario editor petition, I thought to myself: Well, the app does not really do that much from a technical point of view. Its mostly a map and popups with buttons. I should be able to that in javascript.
So I rolled up my sleeves, scraped together all the spare time I had (mostly at night) and after about 20 hours, the madmap project was born.
Im actually rather amazed that noone else has presented a similar project already

Can I use this without knowing javascript/programming?

Of course you can "play" it. Regarding making content, Im pretty sure you cannot. Maybe you can if youre very good with copy&paste and pattern recognition. But probably not.

The gory, technical details

Why javascript of all things, you ask? Well, there are several reasons:
- I happen to know it
- it is platform independent
- it does not require installation or a server
- Cool kids use javascript nowadays

I use leaflet for the map. It takes care of all the dragging and zooming and it can display clickable icons on the map. Thats plenty enough for our needs. I wrote a wrapper for the remaining functions I needed - mainly "exploring" a tile and rotating tiles. I also use jQuery because it has some nice features. I tried angular for two hours or so, but I felt that at this stage, using it costs me more time than it saves, so I went back to oldschool js again.
Most of the work went into creating and managing arbitrary modal windows (the MadMapModal class). The rest went into map, tile and tokenhandling (the MadMap class). And yes, the code is a mess. I wanted to have a working prototype as soon as possible. Sorry.

I took the icons for the tokens from a screenshot of the original app.
I took the graphics for the tiles from bgg.

Final words

So yeah. Let me know what you think. I hope you didnt expect too much.

I decided to go public at this rather unfinished point to let the community know: there WILL be custom scenarios, they might just not be in the original app.

If you have questions, ask away, I will try to answer everything.

PS: excuse my london, Im not a native speaker.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Re: I rebuilt the app in the browser, allowing custom scenarios (proof of concept, work in progress)
Hi,

This definitely looks interesting. I would like to draw your attention to this:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

It doesn't support MoM yet, but I've deliberately written it with that in mind and I don't think it will be hard, just haven't done it yet.

This is a recreation of RtL/MoM app it pulls the assets out of the original app so that I am not distribution FFG content. I could build for web, though currently I don't party because I haven't tried and partly because of the take down threat.

I deliberately made all the content in mine as easy to edit as possible. Quests/Scenarios and expansions are all a collection of ini files, and there is an in game editor for quests see documentation here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki/QuestGuide

Why unity? I wanted to use an engine so that I'm not writing everything and Unity is free and targets everything. I've used UE3 before, but I feel it isn't well suited here.

It would be great if we could help each other out, let me know what you think of my approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hesy
Germany
Bad Iburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: I rebuilt the app in the browser, allowing custom scenarios (proof of concept, work in progress)
Surprise Toilet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

I was kind of waiting for somebody to make it happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
FFP have put a stop to several custom apps in the past so they may do so again here. It might be worth not investing too much time into your site at the moment in case they are in touch so that you have not wasted too much time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have also started toying around with such a thing, and might be willing to work on this with you on this. (I'm a HTML5/AngularJS developer.)

My first suggestion to avoid the ban hammer so we can invest our time without getting shut down would be to remove all copyrightable resources, such as the images of tiles and tokens. This also means any copied text in the popups-- even if it results in the same action on the players' part, write your own descriptions from scratch.

(Mostly, I'm responding to subscribe to this thread, because I'm going on vacation for a few days and will have forgotten about this by next week. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Desco wrote:
I may have also started toying around with such a thing, and might be willing to work on this with you on this. (I'm a HTML5/AngularJS developer.)

My first suggestion to avoid the ban hammer so we can invest our time without getting shut down would be to remove all copyrightable resources, such as the images of tiles and tokens. This also means any copied text in the popups-- even if it results in the same action on the players' part, write your own descriptions from scratch.

(Mostly, I'm responding to subscribe to this thread, because I'm going on vacation for a few days and will have forgotten about this by next week. )

Can I suggest you also have a look at Valkyrie? Even if you are only interested in web stuff, one of the todo items is a place to share scenarios(see: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/5)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:

I'm hoping FFG release their own scenario editor or at least make some kind of commitment to do so at some later unspecified date.

But as they don't seem to be willing to do so here's a small suggestion of my own...

The great thing about the title and token images is that we already know all that exist - so you would not even need a database. Give each a unique name as its key and have them in a sub-folder or image list in a library. If they were kept in a separate library\sub-folder it would be easy to swap libraries\folders and so swop between the official images and the surrogate images. That way the public interface on the web would show the surrogate non-FFG images and so would avoid copyright issues and a potential cease and desist order - but for those who wanted it, the FFG tile image library or sub-folder named images could be emailed for personal use only.

[PS added] Finally I would not worry very much about text. FFG focusses on the copyright of images rather than text. It is much easier to enforce copyright for an image than it is for text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
BruceLGL wrote:
Desco wrote:

Can I suggest you also have a look at Valkyrie? Even if you are only interested in web stuff, one of the todo items is a place to share scenarios(see: https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/issues/5)

My understanding was that this project was for Descent chiefly and Mom only when and if the Descent version was working? This is one of the reasons I was less inclined to devote time/resources to it myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
zwaq wrote:
Hi,

so, I guess everyone agrees that MoM2 would greatly benefit from a scenario editor, especially due to the fact that with all the first edition stuff in the mix, there really is a lot of "physical content" available that is currently unused.
Also, afaik FFG did not react in any way to the UGC scenario builder request. So without further ado, I present to you:

Madmap, a javascript project for semi-interactive haunted house style games
GitHub

Since no one else is saying it, thanks and good luck! The community/game really needs this. I hope this moves forward quickly, let us know what help you need. I know scores of us are anxious to start writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
lovecraftgeek wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:

My understanding was that this project was for Descent chiefly and Mom only when and if the Descent version was working? This is one of the reasons I was less inclined to devote time/resources to it myself...

The main reason for this is just that I haven't actually found a chance to play MoM2E yet, so it was easier for me to start with descent. As it has build built to be generic as is reasonable it would be very simple to add MoM support, if this is where the interest lies I will add initial support in the next build.

Additionally, before starting I created this thread here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23446682

Which received very little attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I am a professional user interface designer.
In graphic and in UX, I can help you out to make this better.

I hope this will work someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Valkyrie now has initial MoM support, please check it out:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases/

My priority on what I work on from here will depend greatly on where interest lies and who wants to help with what, so let me know what you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great so far, I'd really love to see something like this come to fruition. I hope FFG don't get their knickers in a twist over these projects, as homebrew scenarios can only be a good thing to maintain interest in the game between official releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
Hi,

This definitely looks interesting. I would like to draw your attention to this:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/releases
https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

It doesn't support MoM yet, but I've deliberately written it with that in mind and I don't think it will be hard, just haven't done it yet.

This is a recreation of RtL/MoM app it pulls the assets out of the original app so that I am not distribution FFG content. I could build for web, though currently I don't party because I haven't tried and partly because of the take down threat.

I deliberately made all the content in mine as easy to edit as possible. Quests/Scenarios and expansions are all a collection of ini files, and there is an in game editor for quests see documentation here:

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki/QuestGuide

Why unity? I wanted to use an engine so that I'm not writing everything and Unity is free and targets everything. I've used UE3 before, but I feel it isn't well suited here.

It would be great if we could help each other out, let me know what you think of my approach.

Hi,

I just checked out the latest version of your project (4.0). It looks pretty cool. The MoM part seems to be quite weird though. I can only assume that it still has the descent interface (which I dont know).
IMO the biggest advantages of your approach are that your app can have the same look and feel as the original and that you can pull media straight from installed official apps. I think that way youre pretty safe from the copyright issues Gavin and Christopher mentioned.
Unfortunately Im not really interested in programming with unity. But I will keep track of your progress :D
I couldnt get the scenario editor to really do anything, so you might want to work on that.

To all the others, thanks for your interest and support offers. Maybe I will come back at you later, atm Im pretty busy with work, so the project will be on halt a bit.

In the meantime, I removed the app's icons from my site and added placeholders. And Nicola, thats exactly the path I will take. During testing, I noticed that proper artwork increases the "hey this is cool" factory IMMENSELY, so I added some for this "release". I will probably remove the artwork tiles in the near future, too, albeit those are freely available on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Keep up the good work guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is awesome, has there been any further development since the original posting? Any means for people to create and upload custom scenarios for other people to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Orlandin
msg tools
I just want to say an huge thank you to Fabian and Bruce for all the effort they're putting in this editor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your work, keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Orlandin
msg tools
If Fabian, Bruce or any other developer need scans of tiles and stuff for the assets don't hesitate to ask, I've first edition, the two expansions and in about a month I will have the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirv
msg tools
Fabian and Bruce, nice work!

I'm a bit late to the party with this, but I too started work on a homebrew scenario app!

The link below goes to a working version, just a couple of rooms with doors and search tokens.
http://agentmirv.github.io/undiscoveredtales/

It runs on javascript and the Phaser game development framework.

There is a gamedata.json file where the text and other game data is stored. In the future, this is were one could write their custom scenario. Perhaps a tool could be written with a user friendly interface which could export this .json file, but I'm getting ahead of myself

The images are not scans, but placeholders, like the other posters were suggesting.

I'm not a javascript programmer professionally, so I was using this as a project to start using it more and to learn Phaser.

Not sure where this will end up, just having fun working on it for now.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hammar
Sweden
Gråbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! It's a nice very playable start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andris Borbíró
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Fabian!

I am very interested in your project. Keep up the good work! If this becomes more advanced, I will try to create my own stories. (I am not fluent in javascript, but I have some experience in C/C++, Java and Python, so hopefully it will not be a big problem.)

cheers,
Andris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Seeing as this is the thread where people are talking about replacement apps (I can create a new thread if anyone doesn't like the hijack), I have question(s) regarding monster health:

A: Has anyone worked out how monster health is determined? What combinations of fixed/random/based on investigators?

B: How would you like it to work for custom scenarios?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
For those playing around with this I have found something slightly disturbing. The text in the FFG MoM app is obfuscated (XORed with 68264378). This in itself is trivial to get around (obscurity is not security!), but it is a bad sign. This is currently not in RtL, but adding it in suggests they are making efforts (however primitive) to stop people accessing app data, which will limit open app replacement options... we will have to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.