15 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Longshot - Excalibur Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
So I am working on an Excalibur expansion (see this thread for full description of what I have planned: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614599/nightcrawler-my-fir...). When it is complete I will compile all the cards into one thread but I wanted to keep them separate during the proof reading and revisions stage so that I don't have to search through a whole thread for comments on a particular card set. Today's effort is Longshot:

I didn't think I was going to make an attempt at Longshot, mostly because building in mechanics that will showcase his incredible level of luck without creating a series of super-powered cards seemed too much for me to tackle. I mean, he is constantly doing the improbable, so in order to showcase that ability I felt like I would have to stack the probability in his favor, but that is a one-way street to an overpowered set of cards. However, I was able to come up with two concepts that I thought would work pretty well. The first is an LONGSHOT Keyword mechanic that essentially turns them into divided cards. One part of the card is pretty standard and the other has highly beneficially trigger based on a highly unlikely set of circumstances. So if you are lucky enough for those circumstances to occur you will get a huge boost, but it won't happen very often. So luck becomes an optional aspect of the card not the only aspect of the card. The other approach I considered was using the "FOCUS" mechanic to allow him to stack the deck in his favor. Such that a card would have you guess the cost of the top card in the hero deck and via "FOCUS X" you could look at that card before you guessed, essentially assuring the favorable outcome. Ultimately I went with the first approach because it felt like a more fun way to go. I can just imagine the excitement the first time you get to use one of his lucky triggers. I may still try out the focus approach but for now I think I am satisfied.

ON TO THE CARDS:

LONGSHOT KEYWORD: At the start of your turn before you play any non-LONGSHOT cards, you may elect to use the LONGSHOT effect (assuming any required condition is met) instead of the normal card effect. Otherwise play as normal. A particular LONGSHOT effect can only be used once per turn, other cards with the same LONGSHOT effect must be played as normal.

Common 1 - I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good
Basic draw a card and a +1 recruit bonus for every other 2 cost hero played this turn. LONGSHOT bonus is a 3 for 1 if you happen to have 3 villains with the printed attack in the city at the same time.

Common 2 - Big Money No Whammies
Shout out to all the kids who spent their sick days from school watching re-runs of Press Your Luck! The base ability of this card is essentially a copy of the other common but for recruit instead of attack. The LONGSHOT trigger is a bit unique for the set. All the other LONGSHOT triggers are based on relatively unlikely circumstances and have no penalty if it doesn't work out, you just don't use that part of the card. This one is more of a no-guts-no-glory play. You have got a pretty good chance of a favorable outcome but you could also really cause some problems.

Uncommon - Luck of the Draw
Versatile Bonus based on number of cards drawn. The LONGSHOT bonus on this card is based on having a bunch of longshot cards (and maybe some wounds or other versatile heros).If you have a hand where the all the cards add up to 0 attack or 0 recruit you can draw the top card of the hero deck and draw a number of cards equal to the printed cost. To clarify this could work where you have 3 longshot cards that all have 0 printed attack/recruit and 3 other cards that only have printed attack. In which case the lucky bonus would trigger because although your cards add up to 3+ attack they also add up to 0 recruit which is one of the way to trigger the bonus. Another clarification that should be covered by the general order of operations but doesn't hurt to mention is...If you trigger the bonus the cards drawn from that bonus do not add to the "cards drawn" versatile bonus on the card. However if you had two of these cards and somehow magically triggered the lucky bonus you could:
1) play your first "luck of the draw" card
2) Trigger the bonus
3) reveal the card from the hero deck
4) Draw the applicable number of cards
5) Play the second luck of the draw card
6) reap the versatile bonus for all the cards drawn from the first "luck of the draw" card.

Rare - One in a Million
Basic Versatile 5 base ability. LONGSHOT trigger on this card is such that if the total cost of the cards in your hand is 7 (meaning just this card and 5 other zeros...or wounds i suppose). you can defeat the mastermind once as well as all the villains in the city for free. Super-powered card if it hits...but that very much an improbable scenario, and if you are the lucky SOB that makes it happen you are going to be pretty pumped.

As always input is appreciated, but particularly with this set. I think there is enough going on in these cards that it is going to take more than just my brain to get it right. Let me know if you have any ideas for adjustments or alternative lucky triggers (or if you think that whole concept is junk and should be scrapped). I think he could be a really fun character if I am able to get it just right so help me out.

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cim Fisher
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen some of the other Excalibur cards you've done and they're all impressive. I like the concept of these cards as they can turn an otherwise depressing hand into a great outcome. Drawing starter cards late game is not something you want, but this can sometimes take that sting off (albeit, fairly rare). Good job.

Just a note however. There is a typo on the "Luck of the Draw" card. You have "prited" instead of "printed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Cimmerz wrote:
I've seen some of the other Excalibur cards you've done and they're all impressive. I like the concept of these cards as they can turn an otherwise depressing hand into a great outcome. Drawing starter cards late game is not something you want, but this can sometimes take that sting off (albeit, fairly rare). Good job.

Just a note however. There is a typo on the "Luck of the Draw" card. You have "prited" instead of "printed".

Thanks man! I am glad you like them. I haven't received as much feedback as most of the other customs in the forum (probably because Excalibur is pretty low on the marvel totem pole for most people), so I haven't been sore if they are well designed or not. I have play tested them and they seem to play well but it is nice to know that someone else thinks they are worthwhile...or even to know if they suck and need to be retooled. So thanks for taking a minute to let me know what you think. Double thanks for catching some of my grammar/spelling issues. It seems like one or two of them always sneak through despite my best efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a couple of notes. I'm not really sold on the whole OR thing. You could make them divided cards (I know not everybody likes that). Also, some of the wording seems confusing as printed. Your long explanation on "I'd Rather Be Lucky..." seems to underscore this. Also, the OR effects on the uncommon and rare will be really easy to use. Since card effects are enacted when a card is played, all you have to do is play all your other cards (or reserve cards that equal 7 cost) to get the effects. It would seem in your explanation that these OR effects may be intended to be used at the start of your turn before playing cards, and should say such. Complicated instructions are made intokeywords to prevent bloat on the card text. Perhaps you should invent one to get your mechanic across.

Perhaps it could be the keyword Lucky, something like this:

Lucky: At the start of your turn before you play any cards, if the Lucky condition is met you may play this card immediately for its Lucky effect. Otherwise play it as normal.

Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
jhochges wrote:
Just a couple of notes. I'm not really sold on the whole OR thing. You could make them divided cards (I know not everybody likes that). Also, some of the wording seems confusing as printed. Your long explanation on "I'd Rather Be Lucky..." seems to underscore this. Also, the OR effects on the uncommon and rare will be really easy to use. Since card effects are enacted when a card is played, all you have to do is play all your other cards (or reserve cards that equal 7 cost) to get the effects. It would seem in your explanation that these OR effects may be intended to be used at the start of your turn before playing cards, and should say such. Complicated instructions are made intokeywords to prevent bloat on the card text. Perhaps you should invent one to get your mechanic across.

Lucky: At the start of your turn before you play any cards, if the Lucky condition is met you may play this card immediately for its Lucky effect. Otherwise play it as normal.

Just an idea.

Great input. This is the sort of stuff that helps the most. It is easy to miss the little details because I know how the cards are intended to work so sometimes meanings and intent gets assumed in the language rather than clearly defined. So thanks for pointing out the unintended loopholes in the wording.

When it comes to the OR mechanic I totally get where you are coming from. It really boats the cards up and is probably better served as a Keyword. I considered a divided card as well but I don't think the version of Legendit I have is equipped for that, and all the wording would be super small so I ruled that out. In general I have tried to avoid new keywords because I don't want to give people more to keep track of if they want to use my cards. However in some cases I haven't really had another way to make things work the way I wanted (see Phoenix and Crazy Gang). So I think I will use your suggestion of using a keyword rather than the OR option. Stay Tuned! And thanks again for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

Well done! Always like to see multiple options for heroes. Yes, even when the other custom is one of my making. Gives folks multiple choices to pick the one that fits their playstyle better.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You misspelled "Versatile" on the uncommon and rare cards at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
RangerRob24 wrote:
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

Well done! Always like to see multiple options for heroes. Yes, even when the other custom is one of my making. Gives folks multiple choices to pick the one that fits their playstyle better.

thumbsup

Thanks. I think your version is still the gold standard, but I am making some tweaks that should be a big improvement...at the very least in the spelling department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
DarthEd wrote:
You misspelled "Versatile" on the uncommon and rare cards at least.

Got it! Thanks, it will be fixed in the 2.0 upload
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
shjacobsen wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Just an idea.

Great input. This is the sort of stuff that helps the most. It is easy to miss the little details because I know how the cards are intended to work so sometimes meanings and intent gets assumed in the language rather than clearly defined. So thanks for pointing out the unintended loopholes in the wording.

When it comes to the OR mechanic I totally get where you are coming from. It really boats the cards up and is probably better served as a Keyword. I considered a divided card as well but I don't think the version of Legendit I have is equipped for that, and all the wording would be super small so I ruled that out. In general I have tried to avoid new keywords because I don't want to give people more to keep track of if they want to use my cards. However in some cases I haven't really had another way to make things work the way I wanted (see Phoenix and Crazy Gang). So I think I will use your suggestion of using a keyword rather than the OR option. Stay Tuned! And thanks again for your help.

Ok, I tried out the keyword approach and I think it does make the cards much easier to govern and understand. I decided to call the keyword LONGSHOT. A bit specific I know...but is anyone else going to use it, I hope so, but probably not. So it probably doesn't matter. I pirated your post for most of the rules and added one further clarification. The rules for the LONGSHOT key word are:
At the start of your turn before you play any non-LONGSHOT cards, you may elect to use the LONGSHOT effect (assuming any required condition is met) instead of the normal card effect. Otherwise play as normal. A particular LONGSHOT effect can only be used once per turn, other cards with the same LONGSHOT effect must be played as normal.

I also changed the LONGSHOT effect for "I'd Rather Be Lucky..." because what I had on the card originally didn't work very well within the parameters of the keyword. So now it triggers if there are 3 or more villains in the city with the same HP, which happens very rarely but I have seen a time or two.

New cards with Keyword approach below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you're using LegEdit, there's a toggle switch to add the background gradient to the Hero name (like what they added to the official cards after FF). Without it, it can get hard at times to read the card name even on actual cards (especially on Instinct class cards).

Templates -> Edit Hero Template -> Edit -> Name Highlight Type -> Banner

Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:
Also, if you're using LegEdit, there's a toggle switch to add the background gradient to the Hero name (like what they added to the official cards after FF). Without it, it can get hard at times to read the card name even on actual cards (especially on Instinct class cards).

Templates -> Edit Hero Template -> Edit -> Name Highlight Type -> Banner

Hope it helps!

Cool! I had no idea. Obviously it isn't critical for function, but as my grandpa would always say "if it weren't for looks we needn't have eyes." Thanks for the pointer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
If I read and understand your definition of Longshot properly, doesn`t it mean that its wrongly used on Big Money no whammies?

Your description says that IF the condition is met, play the Longshot effect. But in the case of that card, the effect is not a condition, it requires an action. Is the intent here to ALWAYS check the top card of the villain deck and then apply any effect if applicable and if not then play the card`s normal text? If so that`s fine, but it does incur a mandatory reveal of the villain deck + the normal text, which could be somewhat OP for a 2 cost card common card no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
Bloodwurm wrote:
If I read and understand your definition of Longshot properly, doesn`t it mean that its wrongly used on Big Money no whammies?

Your description says that IF the condition is met, play the Longshot effect. But in the case of that card, the effect is not a condition, it requires an action. Is the intent here to ALWAYS check the top card of the villain deck and then apply any effect if applicable and if not then play the card`s normal text? If so that`s fine, but it does incur a mandatory reveal of the villain deck + the normal text, which could be somewhat OP for a 2 cost card common card no?

You are correct. I will either need to adjust the LONG SHOT rules or adjust the wording on the card. The idea I am going for is that you can forfeit the standard card effect in favor of a more risky or more unlikely effect. In all the other cases on the cards it is a more unlikely effect that must be met before you play, but this is other circumstance where it is a more risky play. I think adding more rules to the LONGSHOT keyword will make things worse. I will probably just add a Class Icon trigger to the ability. Good catch and thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
shjacobsen wrote:
Bloodwurm wrote:

You are correct. I will either need to adjust the LONG SHOT rules or adjust the wording on the card. The idea I am going for is that you can forfeit the standard card effect in favor of a more risky or more unlikely effect. In all the other cases on the cards it is a more unlikely effect that must be met before you play, but this is other circumstance where it is a more risky play. I think adding more rules to the LONGSHOT keyword will make things worse. I will probably just add a Class Icon trigger to the ability. Good catch and thanks for the heads up.

I ended up reworking the keyword rules rather than the card effects. I think it works now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.