3 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Widget Sidekick - Excalibur Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
I think this really is the last piece to my custom Excalibur expansion. Widget was the ever present, dimension warping, sidekick to the Excalibur team. I think widget was about 50/50 on being helpful or harmful with the dimensional warping stuff. I decided to just assume the intentions were good and made Widget 100% helpful. Although a sometimes not-helpful sidekick might be a fun twist to add into the game at some point. In any case, widget allows you to move all the villains in the city back one space. Any villain in the sewer goes back on top of the villain deck (as does any bystander they captured. I realize this a pretty powerful card, but once you mix it in with the rest of the sidekicks it shouldn't come up that often and most of the Masterminds in the Excalibur expansion have some element of pushing villains through and out of the city so I think it makes sense that there is a sidekick that is specifically designed to combat that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a recommendation, I wouldn't use "may" in the effect. I don't think any of the other sidekicks have "may" in their usage. If a player didn't want to use the effect, they would just not play the card. This would fit in line with the other sidekicks better. Also, then you could just have the card effect, and at the end have return this card to the sidekick deck, or whatever the standard text is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
jhochges wrote:
Just a recommendation, I wouldn't use "may" in the effect. I don't think any of the other sidekicks have "may" in their usage. If a player didn't want to use the effect, they would just not play the card. This would fit in line with the other sidekicks better. Also, then you could just have the card effect, and at the end have return this card to the sidekick deck, or whatever the standard text is.

As it turns out we are both right. The original sidekick cards (with Bucky and Cap on them) were worded just like mine is ("you may..."). The more recent sidekicks (avenger pets) have been worded as you described. The more I think about it, this is probably because the "you may" wording is kind of redundant. There is no rule that says you must play all the cards in your hand, and thus you are free to discard a sidekick during a particular hand instead of playing it. However that doesn't make much sense because the real value of sidekicks is they are cheap place holders that are better than your starting deck but not by much so you are glad they don't stick around forever. I might re-word this card to match more the avenger pet wording. In either case I think the card works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.