U-Boat Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: When do you draw event cards for 'Patrolling'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm reading the 2nd Edition rules while waiting for my copy from the Kickstarter campaign. I get that you draw Event Cards while 'Moving' through a zone while going to and from your base, but when does a U-Boat have to draw the cards for 'Patrolling', and how often do you draw them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played my 1st ed. game that you would draw the event card for "Patrolling" during the "MOVE U-BOATS" segment. You draw the amount of cards specified on the "map" during the Move U-Boats segment of the turn, and not any more or less cards than specified.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So, if I was doing the Happy Times campaign and wanted to go to from my base in Germany, to the British Isles zone, I would 'Move' through the North Sea zone and draw 2 Event Cards for moving through the zone (as opposed to 4 cards for 'patrolling'), then I would arrive at the British Isles zone and draw 3 more cards for 'patrolling' (as opposed to drawing just 1 card for 'moving')?

Once, you've resolved all your contacts and wish to return to port, do you have to draw more cards for 'moving' back through the zones, or am I magically teleported back to my base (like in Hornet Leader) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) The way I've played it is... you move from Germany to the British Isles and, you draw 2 cards for the North Sea. Then you would draw ONE CARD for the British Isles because you MOVED into that area. Say for example... you sink one enemy ship this battle but you want to STAY in the British Isles, After you've resolved all your other subs the "first turn" is over. NOW, second turn you decide to "PATROL" (stay) in the British Isles. This is when you would draw the "PATROL" amount of Event cards. I would say that you do NOT Patrol during your first "move" in the game.

The rules say:
Patrolling Information: Designates the number of Event
cards you draw when a U-Boat remains in the Area.
(I bolded and underlined the word remains for emphasis)

So, the way I READ it is, when you remain in the area is when you PATROL. BUT, if you Leave, then you MOVE. (Maybe someone else reads it a different way? but that is how I play/read the rules)

2.) You must return to a SUB BASE to end the game or during a Medium/Long Patrol to "refit" your sub. You do NOT magically go back to base in U-Boat Leader like you would with Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
That makes sense. Funny, there always seems to be something that needs to be explained in the rules of DVG games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mellonhead3013 wrote:
That makes sense. Funny, there always seems to be something that needs to be explained in the rules of DVG games.

TRUE, but the effort of "DVG rule learning" is worth it when playing them! I ENJOY all 4 of the DVG "Leader" games I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

What game from any company doesn't? DVG don't strike me as worse than most companies and are certainly better than some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
[q="Polydor"]
Quote:
DVG don't strike me as worse than most companies and are certainly better than some.

I just have a few games, so I'm not a 'gamer' by any means, but in my very limited experience I have played DVG 'Down in Flames' which in hindsight has a pretty simple ruleset, but I couldn't come up with a foggier explanation of them if I tried. Some rules were out-and-out missing.

The rules for Hornet Leader were there all right, but they were in no sensible order.

I've got 'Pandemic', which admittedly is not very complicated, but it has an extremely well written set of rules. Carcassonne? Well, the explanation of the rules was fine, but I still can't figure our the borders of the farms with any certainty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.