Subject: Expansion is the key rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several games so far and have noticed that the person who simply built their town out and up was the one who most likely won. Many times players would get so caught up in accomplishing their secret claims or the open claims that they spent extra effort trying to buy specific tiles before anyone else. Meanwhile, the "expansion" player is racking up their income and continues to get +7 points for each large tile they are completing as well as the roofs. In one particular game, this player had 6 large tiles finished, plus roofs, and several small tiles finished... and the citizens that came along with them. Sufficed it to say, they handily won and I don't think they won any claims.

My suggestion would be to try letting your main goal be expanding your town as high and wide as you can and let your secondary goal be accomplishing the claims that coincide with this primary goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Couch
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
When introducing the game to new players, I've always said that a good and safe early game strategy is to build more tiles. More tiles means more income, which means more options. Tycoon cards can offset that extra income, but that's risky. There's no guarantee you'll get the cards you need. And since building and supplying tiles is the main way to get Reputation points, it's never a bad idea to add on to your Saloon.

That said, strategic decision making of what to build and when is a good measure of a new player versus an experienced one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the best secret claim card I selected was the one that has a goal of No Citizens and something else. That card made me concentrate on just building tiles and won by a long shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.