Popular Tags: [View All]
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a streamlined solo game.
I plan to have the game kick your butt.

There are 3 event battle areas with 2 cards played from hand into each event. from your hand you select the battle card type and then you select the helper card (cover).

OK here we go...
once to got the 2 cards set down, you are committed to them, "LOCKED in" for 3 rounds of die rolls then resolving the roll. if you can not resolve any 1 of the 3 events you will be stuck. It is "Possible" for all 3 events areas to be stuck in this way.

Now

You have to do bad stuff you be UNSTUCK.
1. Trash 2 event cards (Out of the game forever) to free it up the area. If all 3 events are stuck you MUST do this to one area.
2. Start a new event (Event 2 or 3) to get more card in hand or a helper card strategically selected to resolve event 1. e.g. the following action is specific and helps you out... re-roll a white 4.

I want to know your opinion on this game of harm overlaid on objective.
and Stuck.

Defending the game
It's solo... e.g. The game of Solitaire

Neg Opinion
Usually a good game will have a separate time thing run out on you or a sudo-AI that floods you with problems.

What is your opinion of Stuck and harm to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, either you wrote this post while drunk, or I am currently too drunk to understand what you are trying to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The universal translator must be broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OldPhartWargamer wrote:
The universal translator must be broken.

Thanks to the insight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
derp de doo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that kind of how plain old solitaire works?
Think about it.. when you run out of moves you have to pull from the draw deck.. and the more you pull from the draw deck the less chance you have to win (I think). Im far from a solo game expert, but it sounds like a valid mechanic to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ssplawn wrote:
Think about it.. when you run out of moves you have to pull from the draw deck.. and the more you pull from the draw deck the less chance you have to win (I think). Im far from a solo game expert, but it sounds like a valid mechanic to me.

Yup it's close to solitaire. The game will require actions from level one victories. so it's engine building.

Final score will be 1. if you finaish then 2. + health/time track score.

Scoring would be hanabi style.

Question is: is being Blocked, like in solitaire, a bad game? It's a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fenemore
Australia
flag msg tools
If you are blocked then I take it that that means there are no more moves you can make in which case it is just another loss condition. I'm not really seeing an issue since most games just boil down to a binary end point, you either win or you lose. My opinion is that you just want to try to design it so that a blocked game isn't the most common outcome. I used to play a lot of solitaire & came to expect that I would be blocked/lose about 50% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
aVoidGames wrote:
ssplawn wrote:

Yup it's close to solitaire. The game will require actions from level one victories. so it's engine building.

Final score will be 1. if you finaish then 2. + health/time track score.

Scoring would be hanabi style.

Question is: is being Blocked, like in solitaire, a bad game? It's a solo game.

would there ever be a situation where you can't unblock? how often would that happen? If that happens, does it mean that the game is lost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tedthebug wrote:
If you are blocked then I take it that that means there are no more moves you can make in which case it is just another loss condition. I'm not really seeing an issue since most games just boil down to a binary end point, you either win or you lose. My opinion is that you just want to try to design it so that a blocked game isn't the most common outcome. I used to play a lot of solitaire & came to expect that I would be blocked/lose about 50% of the time.

You TRASH the cards and now have a quicker reshuffle and less cards in hand and hopefully you didn't use a Victory card in the battle.

3CreativeMinds wrote:

would there ever be a situation where you can't unblock? how often would that happen? If that happens, does it mean that the game is lost?

It is a micro game of 20 cards. If you are unable to resolve an event you would remove them from the game. you would survive and might win.
Discarding happens often and a reshuffle brings you a step closer to losing but the shuffle is the least harmful.

but the unblock by trashing is harmful because now you're deck shuffles 2 cards sooner. and with a win your deck is 1 card smaller but you get an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.