6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for some pick up and play games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vincent h
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, first post after using board game geeks and their top 100 list for many many years to pick out board games to play.

I was looking for your help and suggestions for some good pick up and play games that don't take too many instructions. Looking for something that appeals to complete casuals/non gamers to the most indepth of players.

Looking for games that can hopefully accommodate up to 6 players and with play times of hopefully less than 2 hours. they do not have to be completely pick up and play, but replayability is great.

I'll provide a list below of some games I've played and own and what I consider their level to be. I'm happy with items that fall into the first two. I also am not just set on 1 game as I can happily pick up a couple of them!

Level 1 - Some general pick up and play games I've played/owned are:

Taboo
Cranium
Spot it
Heads up (charades)
Code Names
Bang!
Cards against humanity
Pictionary

Level 2 - Intermediate games I played and owned that are still quite easy to quickly explain and play:

Power Grid
Settlers of Catan

Level 3 - take a long time and are indepth (need the right group) that I played/own.

Agricola
Caverna
Puerto Rico
StarCraft
Warcraft
Game of thrones

Thanks and I look forward to all your suggestions and assistance in playing these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only play up to 5 players but fit otherwise.
Kitty Paw
Sushi Go!
The Game (2015)
No Thanks!

For 6.
Wits & Wagers / Wits & Wagers Party
America /Terra / Fauna
Time's Up! Title Recall!
Sushi Go Party!
Mutant Meeples/Ricochet Robots
Timeline: Diversity /Timeline Challenge
Dixit
6 nimmt!( which you can use the cards to also play:The Game (2015) ,No Thanks! and Pacal.)
2 sets of Dr. Eureka
Doodle Quest/Loony Quest with some extra transparent sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Dixit and King of Tokyo are easy to learn, quick to set up, play 6, and fun to play for all ages and experience levels.

I'd add 7 Wonders as well, but it's a bit deeper than just pick up and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 1:
- Tsuro of the Seas (with Veterans of the Seas expansion adds cannons)
Super easy to teach, bores some people but does play w 6
- Between Two Cities a little more time to teach, but simultaneous play makes it a fast game and everyone is engaged, little down time.
- Lost in R'lyeh card game in a tin, easy to teach, fun to play...lots of playful take-that action. Not expensive.
- Gloom. If your group likes a bit of character play it can be fun.

Level 2:
Lords of Waterdeep - such an obvious choice, plays for five reasonably
Viticulture - well-balance game, appealing, easy to teach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fighterv wrote:
I was looking for your help and suggestions for some good pick up and play games that don't take too many instructions. Looking for something that appeals to complete casuals/non gamers to the most indepth of players.

Looking for games that can hopefully accommodate up to 6 players and with play times of hopefully less than 2 hours. they do not have to be completely pick up and play, but replayability is great.

Hardly any rules in Cartagena except how to move forward, how to move backward in order to send your pawns from one end of the pathway to the other. Quick return on simple investment for the casuals. A payoff for more hardy in learning how to leapfrog everyone's pawns to move forward faster. Plays 5 (not 6). Much less than 2 hours - around 40 minutes for a learning group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have more:
SET
For Sale
Coloretto (Five Player)
Rolling America / Rolling Japan
Junk Art
Scotland Yard
Sleuth
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
IceTowers
Icehouse
Zendo
Hanabi (Five Player)
Skiwampus
Qwinto
Tokaido (Five Player)
The Grizzled (Five Player)
Parade
Go Cuckoo!
Imagine
Concept
Archaeology: The New Expedition (Five Player)
Brynk
Pi mal Pflaumen (Five Player)
Paperback (five Player)
Carcassonne (Six players with Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals )
Birds of a Feather
Coup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.