4 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dar Hilzernod's power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davide P
Italy
flag msg tools
We are playing with the Great Wyrm, and we have a doubt about the possibility to use his lieutenant's power also in encounters. The description states:

Quote:
Power: Special (see below).

When Dar Hilzernod is reinforcing, roll a black power die at the start of the overlord's turn. On a surge, every hero on the board suffers 1 wound (ignoring armor). This wound may not be prevented.

Taken from http://www.descentinthedark.com/_d_/dar_hilzernod.php

Normally, the lieutenant's power can be used during the encounter, apart from when he reinforces a dungeon. What makes me wonder is why specify that his power is valid when he reinforces, when this would be obvious.
Should this mean that it is not usable in the encounters with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
It should say "fortifies," not "reinforces!"
By definition, a lieutenant power is for "fortifying," which means active during the lieutenant battle in addition to dungeons within one trail of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavideP wrote:
We are playing with the Great Wyrm, and we have a doubt about the possibility to use his lieutenant's power also in encounters. The description states:

Quote:
Power: Special (see below).

When Dar Hilzernod is reinforcing, roll a black power die at the start of the overlord's turn. On a surge, every hero on the board suffers 1 wound (ignoring armor). This wound may not be prevented.

Taken from http://www.descentinthedark.com/_d_/dar_hilzernod.php

Normally, the lieutenant's power can be used during the encounter, apart from when he reinforces a dungeon. What makes me wonder is why specify that his power is valid when he reinforces, when this would be obvious.
Should this mean that it is not usable in the encounters with him?

A lieutenant does not "reinforce" a dungeon. To my knowledge, Reinforcement in RtL specifically refers to the process of bringing new minions on the (encounter) board. As I read it, his power comes into play every time he decides to put one or more new monsters next to an entrance. He rolls a black die and on a surge, all heroes (on the board!) suffer one wound. Since it's only applicable in Gold, it's a bit underwhelming, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide P
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback, I was actually thinking of fortifying, mostly because there is no reinforce with him unless the OL has bought red treachery, as he has no minions.
However, I am more inclined towards thinking that the authors actually meant the power to be used when the lieutenant is fortifying a dungeon and in the encounter as it is for all the other LTs, otherwise the field of application as explained by Jan (despite being correct, strictly speaking) would be quite twisted and almost useless.
I know that his power doesn't have a corresponding power card, but it happens for Merick as well. On this regard, in the rules the authors explicitly mention Merick ad an exception to the power card rule though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.