Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game for the first time tonight and was surprised at how brutal combat can be. I'm thinking we probably did something wrong.

1) You draw cubes from the bag
2) Resolve losses based on cubes
3) Remove 2 legions from the attacker if the defender's character is in the region
4) Repeats steps 2&3 until one side is eliminated

Is this right?

I ask because at one point a player used 5 legions to attack a region that was only defended by a single legion. They drew one cube, it was the defender's color, so the attacker lost all of his legions (and the battle) even though he had 5 to one odds. Doesn't seem right.

Another time a player attacked a region that was defended by a single legion and a character. They drew one cube, it was a neutral cube, so the attacker was wiped out by the recurring loss of 2 legions from the defending character.

After reading the rules multiple times, I'm thinking maybe we got step 4 wrong. Where it says "The same number of attacking and defending Legions is eliminated" we took that to mean "the same as in step 2". Does it mean instead that after step 3 you remove an equal number of Legions from the attacker and defender until one (or both) sides are eliminated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:

I ask because at one point a player used 5 legions to attack a region that was only defended by a single legion. They drew one cube, it was the defender's color, so the attacker lost all of his legions (and the battle) even though he had 5 to one odds. Doesn't seem right.

It's been a while, but i think in that example the attacker would win with 3 remaining legions (5 - (1def + 1bag)) = 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
After reading the rules multiple times, I'm thinking maybe we got step 4 wrong. Where it says "The same number of attacking and defending Legions is eliminated" we took that to mean "the same as in step 2". Does it mean instead that after step 3 you remove an equal number of Legions from the attacker and defender until one (or both) sides are eliminated?

Step 4 is indeed wrong. After the first three steps you just eliminate as many of the remaining legions from both sides as the smallest side has remaining. This could result in mutual destruction!

So in your first example the attacking side would lose one legion due to cubes drawn. Leaving 4 to 1 legions. So 1 more legion would be removed from both sides leaving the attacker victorious with three legions surviving.

In the second example the attacking side would lose no legions due to cubes drawn but would lose 2 legions due to the enemy character being present. Leaving 3 to 1 legions. So again one more legion would be removed from both sides leaving the attacker victorious with 2 legions remaining.

***edited because of mixing up your examples***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat resolution is identical to Antike. Just exchange legions on a 1 for 1 basis. The two wrinkles are the weapons bag and the defender's player marker. Weapons just act as "reinforcements", if drawn from the bag, they get removed 1 for 1, as well. The defender's player marker acts as 2 legions (but does't get removed unless the battle is lost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That is what I was trying to say at the end of note. After weapons & characters you reduce both sides one-for-one until only one (or no) side remains. Makes much more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.