Hide
12 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Divided Cards and Abomination Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
I have a question about how divided cards interact with abomination and ultimate abomination. The way I understand it, abomination would check both sides of a divided card, since the rules specifically state that divided cards are treated as one card when in the HQ.

Capt. Zolandia in the sewers above the Light and Darkness Cloak and Dagger card would have an attack of 9, while if we was above the Tsunami of Water and Justice Storm and Black Panther card, we would have an attack of 12.

Same with ultimate abomination, Arnim Zola would get +3 from Light and Darkness and +6 from Tsunami of Water and Justice.

Troubling me, also, is his master strike. I am under the impression that he would check both sides and send the card back only if neither side had a printed 2+, based strictly on the wording of Zola. So, the Gathering Rainclouds and Clues Storm and Black Panther card would go back while the Above and Below Cloak and Dagger card would stay.

My question is, is my interpretation that both sides are counted correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce C
United States
flag msg tools
We can all fight Galactus Right Now!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
straightedge wrote:
I have a question about how divided cards interact with abomination and ultimate abomination. The way I understand it, abomination would check both sides of a divided card, since the rules specifically state that divided cards are treated as one card when in the HQ.
The cost to buy one card should be the same number used by the Abomination keyword. So I wouldn't add the costs together in a Divided card.

My bad. I forgot how Abomination worked.blush
Quote:
Abomination: "This Villain gets +Attack equal to the printed Attack of the Hero in the HQ space under this Villain's city space."
"Ultimate Abomination" means "This Mastermind gets +Attack equal to the total printed Attack of all the Heroes in the HQ."
An Abomination Villain's Attack can go up and down as the Villain moves through the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Divided cards count as both while in the HQ etc, so I would play that printed attack from both sides of the card counts towards the Abomination attack boost.

For Zola's Master Strike which affects cards with less than 2 printed attack, each single card counts as both of it's two sides. I would play that if there is 2 printed attack on either side it does not move, but I could see it being argued the other way, that if either side has less than 2 printed attack it does move.

Similar, would be Morg's ambush effect, put each non-instinct Hero from the HQ on the bottom of the deck. In that instance, would you put one of Storm/Black Panther's ranged/instinct cards on the bottom? I would say no because it does count as an instinct card (though it also counts as a non-instinct card).

I'm just confusing myself now so I'll stop talking. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Yeah, Divided cards count as both while in the HQ etc, so I would play that printed attack from both sides of the card counts towards the Abomination attack boost.

For Zola's Master Strike which affects cards with less than 2 printed attack, each single card counts as both of it's two sides. I would play that if there is 2 printed attack on either side it does not move, but I could see it being argued the other way, that if either side has less than 2 printed attack it does move.

Similar, would be Morg's ambush effect, put each non-instinct Hero from the HQ on the bottom of the deck. In that instance, would you put one of Storm/Black Panther's ranged/instinct cards on the bottom? I would say no because it does count as an instinct card (though it also counts as a non-instinct card).

I'm just confusing myself now so I'll stop talking. soblue

I think it can really be simplified by using the fact that each divided card is both cards when it's in the HQ.

Does one side have an Instinct power? Then it's an Instinct card for Morg's purposes. Doesn't matter what the other side is. This is made easier by remembering that if it's in your hand and you have to reveal an Instinct card, you can reveal the divided card.

Does one side have an attack value (are there cards where both sides have an attack value? I haven't seen any, but haven't looked at them all closely)? Then that attack value gets added to the villain for Abomination.

I think we all try to overthink these things when the most basic explanation is probably right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some good questions. The rules sheet for Civil War says thus:

While a Divided Card is in your hand or the HQ, it counts as all its Hero Classes, Teams and Hero Names. But once you play it, the card only counts as the side you chose.

A Divided Card is one card, not two. So if you have to “discard two cards,” “draw two cards,” or count the number of cards in your hand, a Divided Card only counts as one card.

I would say that since it only counts as one card, Abomination would only add the cost once. Zola's Master Strike makes you put all cards with a printed attack of less than 2 on the bottom of the Hero deck. Since the card in the HQ is one card that counts as both sides, it would only be put on the bottom of the deck if both sides had each an attack of less than 2.

I agree with your assessment of the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
Thank you for these helpful responses. I just noticed that I typed "we" instead of "he" in the original post; oops! I just wish that the Secret Wars rules set had stated explicitly that along with counting as all classes and whatnot, that the card counted as having each printed attack and recruit as well. Glad to see interest in the game is still going strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Zola's Master Strike makes you put all cards with a printed attack of less than 2 on the bottom of the Hero deck. Since the card in the HQ is one card that counts as both sides, it would only be put on the bottom of the deck if both sides had each an attack of less than 2.

All Divided cards have exactly the same cost, so this point is moot. Just check the cost of (either) one. Since they are identical, that is all you need worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Zola's Master Strike makes you put all cards with a printed attack of less than 2 on the bottom of the Hero deck. Since the card in the HQ is one card that counts as both sides, it would only be put on the bottom of the deck if both sides had each an attack of less than 2.

All Divided cards have exactly the same cost, so this point is moot. Just check the cost of (either) one. Since they are identical, that is all you need worry about.

Except a card's cost has no bearing on Abomination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
jhochges wrote:

You might want to actually read the quote I am responding to before responding and looking like an idiot. I was addressing the Master Strike and clearly quoted the bit that said exactly that. Again, read, people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
jhochges wrote:

You might want to actually read the quote I am responding to before responding and looking like an idiot. I was addressing the Master Strike and clearly quoted the bit that said exactly that. Again, read, people.

What you quoted talks about attack value, not cost.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Uhhhh.......what?

First off, how about we keep things classy and stay away from throwing insults around? Sound good? Cool.

Second, since we're talking about people reading before commenting, how about you go back and read what you said. You were talking about a card's cost when it comes to the Master Strike. I pointed out that a card's cost has no bearing on that. Sure, I did write Abomination - my bad. Either way, a card's cost still doesn't apply to Zola in any circumstance.

Are we all settled down now? I sure hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:

Uhhhh.......what?

First off, how about we keep things classy and stay away from throwing insults around? Sound good? Cool.

Second, since we're talking about people reading before commenting, how about you go back and read what you said. You were talking about a card's cost when it comes to the Master Strike. I pointed out that a card's cost has no bearing on that. Sure, I did write Abomination - my bad. Either way, a card's cost still doesn't apply to Zola in any circumstance.

Are we all settled down now? I sure hope so.

I was not intending any insult, nor did I think I was giving any as I worded my post rather carefully to avoid actually calling anyone any names. Apparently that did not come across very well and for that I apologize. I have not actually gone to look at Zola's card recently, but since several of the people before me stated that his master strike referenced the cost of the card (in the same paragraph as they mentioned the ultimate abomination) and expressed confusion as to which side's cost mattered, I was stated that the cost was identical and therefore it was a moot point. Having actually gone back to read said card, I now realize that by "cost" they meant "attack value" which was a really confusing and imprecise way to word it, but a mistake I could have avoided had I gone back to re-read the card.

Anyhow, I now understand what everyone was talking about and apologize for the confusion and the offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.