5 Posts

The Big Book of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Destroy 3 spells upon arrival on 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco Belladonna
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm a bit concerned about this monster. Espeically if it happens early on in the game on 2 players, this could be devastating and also impairing the enjoyment of the game (much less options early on).

Any chance there is an errata pointing out it works differently based on the number of players? There isn't a lot you can do if it's the first card you draw...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Does a 19 work for ya?
badge
Not Pictured: minikeg of black powder strapped to its back
mbmbmbmbmb
One point of clarification: this can't ever be the very first monster you encounter because it's not a front cover. In a two player game you will always have had at least 2 turns before you see this monster.

My first game was a 2-player game where this monster flipped as early as it possibly can. It was annoying, but we were able to focus on spells that were superseded by purchased spells (we had both purchased at least one spell by this point). I don't really see you not wanting to replace 2+ of your starter spells at some point in a 2-player game anyway, so it does basically nothing to harm your late game potential. Just be careful not to kill anything you don't know you can replace (don't ditch your starter blue spell if you have no other way of putting things in support), and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Belladonna
Canada
flag msg tools
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
One point of clarification: this can't ever be the very first monster you encounter because it's not a front cover. In a two player game you will always have had at least 2 turns before you see this monster.

My first game was a 2-player game where this monster flipped as early as it possibly can. It was annoying, but we were able to focus on spells that were superseded by purchased spells (we had both purchased at least one spell by this point). I don't really see you not wanting to replace 2+ of your starter spells at some point in a 2-player game anyway, so it does basically nothing to harm your late game potential. Just be careful not to kill anything you don't know you can replace (don't ditch your starter blue spell if you have no other way of putting things in support), and you'll be fine.

Honestly the draw card, the blue one and the "give an action" are all very good, even late game, spells. I actually find a good chunk of level 3 spells quite disappointing.

That being said, I'll try and hope the monster will never come

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Meyer
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question regarding this that came up tonight... can you destroy spells that have been covered up by upgraded spells? Or are those considered inactive and essentially destroyed already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't "cover up" spells when you learn more than your capacity, you remove them from the game. So you couldn't get rid of those again when the monster shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.