J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm just about to start playing Descent for the first time, using the Road to Legend iPad app, and my partner and I are playing 2 characters each. For the first campaign you start with 3 skill points and 700 party gold.

Does it make sense to go to town, spend all our gold to buy everything there (for about 550 gold in total), then spend 50 gold to get one character 1 XP (at the cost of a week). That 1 week wait restocks the town, so we would get a list of (mostly) new items to buy, since we bought everything.

Since in RtL you sell items back for full value instead of half, it seems like there is no downside to buying everything, and in fact, it would appear that always spending all your money on items is a good idea, as the remaining items can show up in the town store. Am I missing something really obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying things you don't need is a bad Return on investment, since you only resell it for half rounded to the nearest 25.

Don't be afraid to spend a lot, but don't blow money just to see extra items. You'll need that gold later for better items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But as I mentioned in my original post, you get 100% of the sale value back in the RtL rules. Page 11: "Unlike in the core game, players sell items at their full value."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
You are in fact not missing anything obvious regarding that. Buy all you like without penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldrekr wrote:
But as I mentioned in my original post, you get 100% of the sale value back in the RtL rules. Page 11: "Unlike in the core game, players sell items at their full value."

Did this change from the beginning? I checked out the app the week it was released and I swear I sold items back at less than I paid for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Aho
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app does change the prices for some items so they are different than what is stated on the shop item card. It is possible that caused some confusion making you think you sold back for less than you paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
You are in fact not missing anything obvious regarding that. Buy all you like without penalty.

Yes, that's what we do too. Since you're not losing any gold when selling it later on, you can just buy an item that you probably wouldn't have bought when playing "normal" Descent.
Gold in RTL is only good if you spend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.