Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mexica» Forums » General

Subject: First play; using canals quickly and starting temple as district border? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Had our first play of this tonight, and we all really enjoyed it. However we seemed to use all the canals really quickly. So much so that starting the second half we had roughly 3 doubles and a couple of singles left. Were we doing something wrong or is it more likely inexperienced play?

A second question was, does/can the starting temple count as the edge of a district, or is it only lakes and the sea that count as a border?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Hi all,

Had our first play of this tonight, and we all really enjoyed it. However we seemed to use all the canals really quickly. So much so that starting the second half we had roughly 3 doubles and a couple of singles left. Were we doing something wrong or is it more likely inexperienced play?

A second question was, does/can the starting temple count as the edge of a district, or is it only lakes and the sea that count as a border?

Thanks

Not sure about the speed of using the canal tiles up, we never have had that problem, but we do use the sea as the border for a lot of the districts. As for the second question, only water is used as an edge for a district.

Maybe next time you use up a lot of tiles, take a picture and post it and let us see how you have them on the board. I am assuming you're not missing any of the canal tiles of course
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
There is no prescribed speed in which to use the canals. You can put them on the board quickly, or slowly. It all depends on where everyone expects to obtain the VPs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This might give a bit of an idea:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Amir Perret
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Each game is very different in the way players play and build the city. And of course sometimes players will start by putting canals everywhere while some others will prefer to start putting temples. I don't think there's really a "good way". This game is all about adapting to the other players and being the most opportunist as possible That gives each game a different feeling and this is the reason I love this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
PeterM2158 wrote:
This might give a bit of an idea:

FYI, the image shows a common rules mistake. In the photo there are four founded districts of sizes 6, 6, 5, and 3, separated from each other only by the Emperor's palace. However, the rules include illustrations that demonstrate that the Emperor's palace itself does not form the boundary of any district, and

The rules wrote:
You are allowed to found a district that contains the entirety of the Emperor's palace. These 5 spaces count toward the number of land spaces in that district.

So you should really have just had one un-founded district of size 25.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That was actually one of the questions from my original post! I figured we had done it wrong but we were too far in to correct it so we carried on as we were.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Amir Perret
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:

FYI, the image shows a common rules mistake.


You're right and even though it's clearly written that only water (canals or sea) delimits districts, we should have added this specific point.
That's why we should add a goodie of the palace in resin in 3D
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kat999 wrote:
Quote:

FYI, the image shows a common rules mistake.


You're right and even though it's clearly written that only water (canals or sea) delimits districts, we should have added this specific point.
That's why we should add a goodie of the palace in resin in 3D


Please let me know when this is available. Mexica deserves this addition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Amir Perret
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thanks, it would definitely give even more immersion !

To be honest, it's not decided yet. We need to check if there would be enough people interested. And it would be a goodie to buy as it would be pretty expensive to make it.
We might do a survey, probably via FB or Twitter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kat999 wrote:
Thanks, it would definitely give even more immersion !

To be honest, it's not decided yet. We need to check if there would be enough people interested. And it would be a goodie to buy as it would be pretty expensive to make it.
We might do a survey, probably via FB or Twitter


I would guess that shipping would also be a significant portion of the cost if you were selling it to individuals. This won't help many but if you can upload a 3d model of the palace, some of us could at least print it out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.