Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving Earth is a fairly complicated game, so there's a lot to learn the first time you play.

What rule/concept did you get wrong the first time you played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Holtz
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Surveying - When/where/what/how

Re-entry - what components were affected by re-entry

$10 for each other player after a mission is claimed (just forgot)

So....nothing major.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably something like drawing only a single outcome card for a burn using several of the same kind of rocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking up the stack of outcome cards from an advancement and looking at them.

Several times.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the fact the life support is checked for unmanned capsules at the end of every year.

It is in the rules, but it slipped my mind while playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The one rule I overlooked in my first game was needing the required research before purchasing some components. Which is particularly embarrassing as the requirements are actually written on the component card. I think I was so focused on balancing my budget and testing that I blithely overlooked the text on the card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking for the human hazard on Suborbital. Sometimes, I still do forget that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of recent discussion, until now I totally missed that an Astronaut is a component and can be incapacitated if you choose him/her to be 'damaged' in e.g. a rendezvous failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Playing is the most serious thing there is.
mbmbmbmbmb
blush Facing hazards only after the last hour glass was removed. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hazards vs Outcome Cards.

Also Technology vs Components vs Hazards vs Outcomes.

It took me forever to learn that while "Landing Tech" gives you access to Eagle and Re-Entry Tech gives you access to Vostok/Apollo, having one of those components in a spacecraft does NOT protect the other components of that spacecraft. Indeed, they don't have to be there at all, as EACH component must be checked against the re-entry or landing hazard. In other words,(almost)ANYTHING can re-enter (if you have re-entery tech), and ANYTHING can land(If you have Landing tech).

Still not sure how to get a sample of Saturn. There must be a maneuver somewhere I've failed to notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Larson
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mb
Nope, can't sample Saturn, only some of its moons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
It took me forever to learn that while "Landing Tech" gives you access to Eagle and Re-Entry Tech gives you access to Vostok/Apollo, having one of those components in a spacecraft does NOT protect the other components of that spacecraft. Indeed, they don't have to be there at all, as EACH component must be checked against the re-entry or landing hazard. In other words,(almost)ANYTHING can re-enter (if you have re-entery tech), and ANYTHING can land(If you have Landing tech).

Not sure what you want to say here concerning Re-Entry. Any component but capsules are unaffected by the Re-Entry hazard, so it only applies to the capsules on the craft. Eagle and Aldrin burn up, Vostok and Apollo check via outcome cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is exactly what I got wrong. I thought that a spacecraft with a re-entry shield from Apollo or Vostok protected ALL other components. Not at ALL the truth. All components within a spacecraft EXCEPT capsules re-enter without problem, only Vostok and Apollo face the hazard, Eagle & Aldrin are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernan Stanton
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Trapped In A World I Never Made...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh....for me I keep getting basic maths wrong.

Sorry to all those poor astronauts I've left stranded in space or on distant planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much wrong as overlooked.
I forgot that you need thrust to land on Mercury and ion rockets cannot supply that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NerdyCat wrote:
Sigh....for me I keep getting basic maths wrong.

Sorry to all those poor astronauts I've left stranded in space or on distant planets.

First game, left Buzz Aldrin on the moon with nothing but empty rocket containers to sit on. Poor guy. Never forgot about the homeward journey since!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I misread damaged components - I thought they still worked as components for most purposes, just served as a thing that you couldn't safely damage again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing the "you" to "we" (as in all the players combined), we:

1. Completely forgot the $10 mission completion bonuses.

2. Forgot that the table on the agency card already includes necessary thrust for the mass of the rocket being fired.

3. Required that the capsule with the sample also return.

We don't think that #1 really changed things - just made the game longer, as the distribution of missions was very even. The person who did #2 got themselves behind before we caught the problem. We didn't discover #3 was even a problem until reading this forum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That you could test landing with a suborbital flight. Only noticed after I was packing it up.

That a sample has a mass of 1 which caused a second rocket mission to be planned and rendezvous with the first sitting in lunar orbit.

That a rocket with a minor failure isn't discarded but just damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that a sample doesn't need a probe/capsule to carry it after it is collected. You only need to get a probe/capsule there to collect and then you can scrap the probe/capsule and return with just the sample.

As for what we forget: We never check the human hazard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize that solar radiation risk is multiplied by years of travel before the die roll, but I don't think I played any manned missions with radiation before noticing that rule.

I scrapped a couple of early solitaire games after noticing that I forgot to check a hazard (landing on Mars iirc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I'm pretty sure that a sample doesn't need a probe/capsule to carry it after it is collected. You only need to get a probe/capsule there to collect and then you can scrap the probe/capsule and return with just the sample.

That's probably true, but you'd need to have researched rendezvous to drop it after collecting the sample, right? Or did I also miss a rule where we can jettison any parts we want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:

That's right. Remember, a spacecraft can be made of absolutely any components you like (as long as astronauts have seats). So if your spacecraft is just a moon rock, that's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.