GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,520 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Quality vs Success rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to assume, with the massive increase in number of games released each year, that the "good" games will rise to the top, and be successful. I think most of us know that it is not always the case, but we like to think that most of the truly good games will be successes.

I am afraid, however, that actual success is a combination of marketing, luck, competition, and several other factors. Actual quality of gameplay surely has an impact, but it would seem it is only one minor factor.

What games do you think weren't as successful as their gameplay experience might suggest?

My best example of this is The Ares Project.

I really like the gameplay, it is beautifully balanced, and does so in completely innovative ways. It looks like it did ok, but never caught the mainstream. As far as I can tell, most players who get a sample get hooked, but getting to that point seems to be the difficulty.

What factors are most important in a great game becoming a success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying that the tabletop game market is high-luck Ameritrash (lots of direct conflict and variable player powers)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High luck, ameritrash, semi-coop, legacy game. A skilled "player" (game) will win out more often, but the high luck factor means any given player could make it any one time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its kinda like the win condition of Killer bunnies, release a game to be in the competition, but who gets ahead is completely random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sure there are other important factors, but quality of gameplay is much more than a minor one, I would argue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you define success? Sales? BGG rank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say enough sales and attention that those who are active on bgg find it if its a type of game they might like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you mean long term... PROFITABILITY will determine a games success
If it's making a profit they will keep making it
If it's losing money they will stop making it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.