$60.00
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Who, you might ask? Arueshalae! The reformed succubus who apparently showed up in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Deck 3 – Demon's Heresy. For me, she showed up in the downloadable zip file containing all the character sheets. My wife and I were looking for some variety as we started our 3rd RotR campaign, so we considered all the characters from all the base games, character add-on packs, and class decks. I ended up with Arueshalae.

She's a ranged fighter, with no magic capabilities. Aside from a decent dexterity, she has very strong charisma (and diplomacy). Her superpowers at the start are: 1) the ability to evade an encounter, and 2) the ability to reduce fire, electric, and poison damage done to her. Evading is always useful, and I'm hoping that her damage reduction will be SUPER useful in the second half of the campaign. So far it has been occasionally somewhat helpful.

We are just starting box 3 as I write this, and I'm most interested to hear ideas for how to develop her powers after choosing a role card. I'm also interested to hear any stories from others who have played her.

In our campaign, she is paired with Tarlin (a cleric from the class deck). He has great melee skills, but I still want my Arueshalae to hold her own in combat. To that end, I have taken all 4 skill feats in dexterity. She finally got some good weapons in the last few scenarios, so now she's formidable in combat. In one villain fight, with the help of blessings, she was rolling 4d8+3d4+10. Even in normal situations, anything under about a 9 is an automatic kill.

The lack of balance with her other skills might come back to bite me. But RotR is more about combat than the other boxes, so I'll take my chances.

For card feats, I first max'd out items, partly because Tarlin has so few. Then I will max out blessings, since she seems fine with 4 weapons and 1 armor, and because I have never been that impressed with RotR allies.

Her power feats have been obvious. Hand size first, then increasing her damage reduction. Next she'll have to take the ability to move after evading, even though I'll be shocked if she ever ends up using it the whole campaign. I wish she could "bank" a power feat to use after she gains her role card.

Looking ahead to choosing a role, the choice is pretty obvious. Her "Fallen" role is all about cards with the Corrupted trait, which doesn't exist in RotR. That means she'll definitely be a "Redeemed". My main decision is whether to give her the ability to heal, or the ability to examine the top of her location deck.

Tarlin already has healing, but so far we have been splitting up a lot, so it has been inconvenient to get together for a healing session. Also, being able to self-heal would allow Arueshalae to burn through her blessings with less care. She could heal herself for 2+ cards, and then discard a blessing to explore, and at least come out even. Also, she has been carrying around Father Zantus, so I could free up an ally slot if I had healing abilities. Oh, and I would free up the item slot from the staff of minor healing.

However, I always love the ability to examine the top card of the deck. Unlike RotR Merisiel (who my wife played last time), Arueshalae can't put evaded cards back on top of the deck. So when she finds the villain, or a boon that's better for Tarlin, she can't leave it in place. It gets shuffled back into the depths of the deck. Examining the top card of the deck every turn could save a lot of time. But I would also want the second checkbox there, to be able to leave examined boons on the top of the deck, rather than putting them at the bottom.

So with the 2 almost-simultaneous power feats gained around the time you choose your role, should I go for heal+crappy examine? Or should I put both into examine to make it really work well?

The items she has kept so far are: holy candle, masterwork tools, staff of minor healing, sihedron medallion, and medusa mask. Of course she has the snakeskin tunic. Her ally (besides Father Zantus) is now a sabertooth tiger. Her weapons are returning throwing axe +1, venomous dagger +2, dagger +1, and frost longbow +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arueshalae is discussed a bit in this blog post. You can even see her cohort, which I think is a big part to what she does.

I'd really consider putting a feat into that gift power to be able to assist Tarlin on checks. And if you can pair it with some examination powers, you can know what skill to give Tarlin when you set her gift.

She also has a loot weapon, which you could consider working in as a scenario reward somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
Arueshalae is one of my favorite characters. I played her in WotR from when she turned up and through to the end, where I chose the Fallen role. I've also played her as Redeemed through the entire Wrath season campaign.

I find her ability to evade an encounter as not "correct" considering her background in the RPG, so she never used that ability even once. Therefore I consider the Medusa Mask to be useless to her. The one item she kept through all of the scenarios were Thieves' Tools.

I like to make a profile of the characters I play. Arueshalae is proud, stubborn, never backs down, always help her (new) friends (meaning the other characters), and if possible fight the villain herself. Then I set her free to do this, even when I as the player would have chosen differently. And somehow she survived to the end.

My advice: Get her something better than the Dagger +1, like a second copy of any of her other weapon's, and she should be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Arueshalae is discussed a bit in this blog post.

Cool. Thanks. Not a ton of info there, but worth the read.

Quote:
You can even see her cohort, which I think is a big part to what she does.
She also has a loot weapon, which you could consider working in as a scenario reward somehow.

I don't own WotR, so I don't have access to the loot card, and I haven't bothered to even understand what a "cohort" is. Movement hasn't generally been a problem for us, so I doubt I would keep that loot item anyway.

But I certainly could print out that cohort. Is a cohort something that I should have in my possession (but not in my deck) automatically, all the time?

Quote:
I'd really consider putting a feat into that gift power to be able to assist Tarlin on checks. And if you can pair it with some examination powers, you can know what skill to give Tarlin when you set her gift.

Yeah, assuming I print out and start using the cohort, that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fringer 11 wrote:
My advice: Get her something better than the Dagger +1, like a second copy of any of her other weapon's, and she should be good to go.

I actually kept the dagger over a crossbow, because I like the ability to recharge it in combat. I often end up with 3 weapons in my hand, and almost never want to use a bow to help Tarlin with combat at a different location. I'll probably replace my longbow with a magic dagger when I have the chance.

Of course, with a 2p campaign (compared to 4 or 5, say), the ability to recharge is far more important, and discarding to help someone else in combat is a lot less important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Is a cohort something that I should have in my possession (but not in my deck) automatically, all the time?

Cohorts are really just another type of card. They aren't consider boons and they aren't considered banes. They aren't even part of your deck when you start the scenario. Instead, you setup the scenario as normal. Then, after you draw your starting hand, if your characters has a cohort, you add it to your starting hand. Where exactly your cohort goes from there depends on the cohort. Sometimes, they pretty much get displayed at the very beginning of the very first turn and stay displayed the whole scenario. And sometimes they can be discarded, recharged, buried, all kinds of stuff.

Arushalae's Gift pretty much will be constantly displayed. The only time you won't display it is when you pick it up so that you could display it on someone else. Or to technically pick it up and display it again on the same person, but with a different stat. While you could technically leave it in your hand, there is much reason to ever do so.

If you download the WotR Rulebook, you'll see more info about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the cohort advice. We played with Arueshalae's Gift for the first time today--just in time to make the Mountain Peak a whole lot less scary for Tarlin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.