Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
What are all the cases in which a building MUST be placed on an ownership cube?

What are all the cases in which buildings MUST NOT be placed on an ownership cube?

What are all the cases in which a building MAY or MAY NOT be placed on ownership cubes? If there are cases in which they MAY or MAY NOT be placed on ownership cubes, can you partially place on ownership cubes and vacant lots with one building?

The reason I have this question is that the rules are very clear until the section that talks about placing buildings with events. The rules use the words MUST, MAY, and CAN but don't really define what other choices are available outside of MAY or CAN.

Also, I just want to add that the seize portion of the rules are confusing by saying "replace the ownership cube currently on the LOT" and not "replace the ownership cube currently on the BUILDING". This didn't make sense until looking at the player aid. To be extra clear, you may not seize a players lot ownership cube correct? Only their BUILDINGS which include MINES?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I have been waiting for this game for a long time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:
What are all the cases in which a building MUST be placed on an ownership cube?

What are all the cases in which buildings MUST NOT be placed on an ownership cube?

What are all the cases in which a building MAY or MAY NOT be placed on ownership cubes? If there are cases in which they MAY or MAY NOT be placed on ownership cubes, can you partially place on ownership cubes and vacant lots with one building?

The reason I have this question is that the rules are very clear until the section that talks about placing buildings with events. The rules use the words MUST, MAY, and CAN but don't really define what other choices are available outside of MAY or CAN.

Also, I just want to add that the seize portion of the rules are confusing by saying "replace the ownership cube currently on the LOT" and not "replace the ownership cube currently on the BUILDING". This didn't make sense until looking at the player aid. To be extra clear, you may not seize a players lot ownership cube correct? Only their BUILDINGS which include MINES?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I have been waiting for this game for a long time!

When using MM from a card to build, you must build on lots that were owned prior to your turn.

When using a card for the event, you can build on owned and/or unowned lots.

You may not seize lots, but you can seize any building/mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I initially assumed until I read the following which seems to contradict "When using a card for the event, you can build on owned and/or unowned lots":

Question asked by Steve Carey:

3) Commercial placement via an event says (pg. 9) that the building can be placed on a vacant lot on the City Grid - this is contrary to the standard rule that an ownership cube must be present. In other words, you can't place an event Commercial building where there's an ownership cube?

Answer by Designer:

3) Commercial buildings via cards go straight down on a vacant lot, so they would not go over an ownership cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:
That is what I initially assumed until I read the following which seems to contradict "When using a card for the event, you can build on owned and/or unowned lots":

3) Commercial placement via an event says (pg. 9) that the building can be placed on a vacant lot on the City Grid - this is contrary to the standard rule that an ownership cube must be present. In other words, you can't place an event Commercial building where there's an ownership cube?

Answer by Designer:

3) Commercial buildings via cards go straight down on a vacant lot, so they would not go over an ownership cube.

I see where the confusion lies on this one. On page 9,under "Using Cards to Place Buildings" bullet 4 states the following:

"Commercial buildings can be placed on any vacant Lot on the City Grid, ignoring its usual construction rules."

That should state "may be placed on any vacant or owned Lot". Garry is right, building anything with MM must be done on a pre-existing Lot, that was there prior to your turn. When a card event is used to place any building it bypasses this restriction. However, the confusion lies in the fact if players can still place it on a Lot, which they can.

Official Ruling
When players place a building with a card event it can be on an Owned or Vacant Lot. If placed on an Owned Lot the player with the Ownership Cube(s) receive VP. This includes the player with the Mayor role receiving VP for players placing buildings on City Cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:
gentlegiantglass wrote:

Answer by Designer:

I see where the confusion lies on this one. On page 9,under "Using Cards to Place Buildings" bullet 4 states the following:

"Commercial buildings can be placed on any vacant Lot on the City Grid, ignoring its usual construction rules."

That should state "may be placed on any vacant or owned Lot". Garry is right, building anything with MM must be done on a pre-existing Lot, that was there prior to your turn. When a card event is used to place any building it bypasses this restriction. However, the confusion lies in the fact if players can still place it on a Lot, which they can.

Official Ruling
When players place a building with a card event it can be on an Owned or Vacant Lot. If placed on an Owned Lot the player with the Ownership Cube(s) receive VP. This includes the player with the Mayor role receiving VP for players placing buildings on City Cubes.

Thanks so much for the response! I want to say I am loving Hands in the Sea and can't wait to take a crack at this tonight! I am the rules lawyer of the group and like to have my ducks in a clear row before I go teaching a game. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowkn wrote:

Official Ruling

A welcome ruling. The other way was tense, but in one of my solo-plays it nerfed so many cards because Bessemer got settled very quickly (almost all lots built by end of era 1). So in Eras 2 and 3, when cards said to place things in Bessemer and there were no empty spaces, and only some ownership cubes, those cards were worth only their MM.

But to say you can place on vacant or owned lot, that will lessen that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.