Subject: Automa Examples rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There have been loads of questions about the automa and reading the rules can be intimidating. I had many questions when i started, and there wasn't much for tutorials or videos. I am not a video person, but I figured I would put together some picture examples. I have seen several requests for more movement or neighborhood examples. I hope these examples can help to get some people started with the Automa, or answer questions people may have.

If you are reading this and have not yet read Rev's Common Mistakes thread, please do so, as many questions will be answered there.

Disclaimer:
I have not confirmed everyone of these moves with Morten, so there could be mistakes. Hopefully not, but if there are, please let me know and I will correct as soon as possible.

Notes:
a. I tried to keep many of these simple. This means i did not edit the pictures to label every potential hex or unit. Most solutions do not have a picture, but rather descriptions of which hex, along with a brief "why".
b. The movement actions are all based on actual Automa cards, but again, no pictures.
c. Many of these starting/example scenarios are very unlikely. Many of these situations are manufactured based on questions I had when I started, or based on threads in the forums, or just potentially tricky situations. Try to not put too much weight on "how did he get to that situation" and focus on what the Automa would do if it were in that situation.
d. Playing multiple Automas or multiple players with an Automa is not covered

Generally speaking the automa is the only faction shown in the image, or is the same as the previous example.

If not explicitly stated, assume the Automa has unlocked riverwalk.
If not explicitly stated, assume the Automa does not have a factory card.
If not explicitly stated, assume moves are non-attacking.
If not shown in the picture, assume there are no other Automa units when determining "closest to home base".
If not shown in the picture, assume enemy units are across the board (opposite side of the factory).

Many of the examples are around encounter moves and worker moves to focus on determining the neighborhood, and handling tie breakers. The idea is to continue to add more mech moves and combat moves based on feedback.

Please let me know if you find this post helpful!

Mech move / Factory, Encounter Move / Character Move
a) River walk not enabled
b) River walk enabled

Spoiler (click to reveal)
a) Character moves to the Encounter on the mountain on their island and removes encounter token. No mech to move, only valid encounter is the mountain.
b) Character moves to the Encounter on the mountain on their island and removes encounter token. No mech to move, the village and the mountain are valid hexes, but the mountain is closer to the factory.

Worker Move / Factory, Encounter Move / Character Move

Worker moves from the forest to the mountain with the character. The forest and the mountain are both valid hexes, and are both in the neighborhood of 2 (The units on the home base are not counted when determining the number of automa units that a hex is in the neighborhood of) automa units. The mountain is the closer hex to the factory.

b) River walk enabled

a) The worker moves from the forest to the (same) forest. The hex that the selected worker is on counts as a valid hex. This is the only valid hex.
b) The worker moves from the forest to the (same) forest. Both the forest and the farm east of the character are in the neighborhood of 3 automa units. Both these hexes are 3 hexes away from the factory. The forest comes first in reading order.

b) River walk enabled

a) The automa moves to its current hex. There are no valid hexes for a worker move. There is already a worker on every hex that does not require crossing water (remember, the auoma does not use faction special abilities, so it's workers cannot cross rivers before it enables river walk. No valid Factory/Encounter hex as the automa has not unlocked riverwalk. The character move will be performed, and the character will move to its current hex (closest to the factory and closest to enemy units).
b) Worker moves from the home base to the tundra west of the character. Both the Tundra to the west of the character, and the farm to the east of the character are in the neighborhood of 3 autma units (remember, this count is the number of units, not the number of automa controlled hexes), and the tundra is closer to the factory.

Factory, Encounter Move / Character Move
a) Does not have factory card
b) Already has factory card

a) The automa character moves to the factory. The neighborhood is determined prior to picking up the automa's character. The factory/encounter move action prioritizes the factory because the automa does not yet have a factory card.
b) The automa moves to the encounter on the village and removes the encounter token. The automa ignores the factory because it already has a factory card. The only encounter within the automa's neighborhood is the village.

Mech move / Worker move

The mech moves from the home base to the lake west of the factory (remember, the automa treats lakes just like any other hex). Both the lake and the tundra between saxony and the factory are within 1 hex of an enemy unit. They are both within one hex of the factory. The lake is first in reading order.

The worker moves from the forest to the lake west of the factory. This lake is in the neighborhood of all 3 automa combat units. The Saxony faction has no abilities that allow it to enter a lake, so the lake is not within the neighborhood of the Saxony character.

Factory, Encounter Move / Character Move
a) Does not have factory card
b) Already has factory card

a) The automa character moves to the factory and takes a factory card.
b) The automa character moves to it's current hex. The factory is ignored. The only encounter token within the automa's neighborhood already has a automa mech on it. The factory/encounter move is not performed. The current tundra space is 1 hex from enemy combat units, and 1 hex from the factory.

Character, Mech Attacking Move / Worker Move

The automa character moves to the factory and attacks the Saxony character. If the automa wins combat and does not already have a factory card, it will draw one now (remember, the automa does not have to take the encounter/factory move action to remove an encounter token or take a factory card).

The worker moves from the automa's home base to the forest with the automa mech. It is in the neighborhood of 5 automa units (this hex is within "1 movement" space of the enemy mechs via the tunnel, but tunnels and mines are not considered when calculating the neighborhood).

Mech move / Worker move

The mech moves from the home base to the lake south of the Saxony and Nordic characters. The tundra/tunnel North of the factory and the lake south of the factory are both in the neighborhood of Automa units, and within 1 space of enemy combat units. The lake is closer to the factory.

Mech move / Worker move

The mech moves from the home base to the tundra/tunnel north of the factory. Both the tundra/tunnel north and south of the factory are within the neighborhood, within 1 space of enemy units, and equal distance from the factory. The north hex is first in reading order.

Mech move / Worker move

The mech moves from the home base to the mountain with the automa worker. There are 5 hexes in the neighborhood of automa units, within 2 spaces of the factory. The mountain with the worker comes first in reading order.

Character, Mech Attacking Move / Worker Move

The mech moves from the lake hex north of the factory to attack the forest hex west of itself. The mech on the lake comes before the mech on the forest in reading order. All enemy combat units are in the neighborhood of the automa units (remember neighborhood is determined prior to picking up the selected unit). The factory hex is not attacked because it does not have the least enemy combat units. There are 2 hexes with 1 enemy unit within 1 space of the factory. The forest to the west is first in reading order.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing job! Everything looks correct to me on my first readthrough. Great examples, they illustrate a lot of the tricky cases. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great resource! Thanks so much for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lesus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I thought I would have no problem figuring out the correct moves but #7 got me. Thanks for the lesson.

Regarding #13:
Would the mech not move instead to the mountain space with the blue worker on it north of the factory? That space is in the neighborhood of Automa units, is adjacent to an enemy mech, and is also two spaces away from the factory. It would be earlier in reading order than the forest/tunnel with the worker because it is above it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mlesus wrote:
Nice! I thought I would have no problem figuring out the correct moves but #7 got me. Thanks for the lesson.

Regarding #13:
Would the mech not move instead to the mountain space with the blue worker on it north of the factory? That space is in the neighborhood of Automa units, is adjacent to an enemy mech, and is also two spaces away from the factory. It would be earlier in reading order than the forest/tunnel with the worker because it is above it.

Well played. Fixed.
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the test
Now I know why I keep the summarycards on the table when I play.
Without I still make some mistakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work, thank you so much for taking the time to do this, it's a great resource. I went through the list (fairly quickly, though,) and didn't find any mistakes, but Iwas very close to being tripped up by #7 .

I'll ask Jamey to link to this thread from the Stonemaier site. I think we're already linking to the Revs thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlesus wrote:
Nice! I thought I would have no problem figuring out the correct moves but #7 got me.

Same here...
Thank you so much for doing this for us and our hobby, Marcus.
I guess, I'll take all this confidence now and it's time to challange the Automaszyna tonight arrrh

(Btw it would have been awful to realize, that I played incredibly wrong all these automa games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Awesome work, thank you so much for taking the time to do this, it's a great resource. I went through the list (fairly quickly, though,) and didn't find any mistakes, but Iwas very close to being tripped up by #7 .

I'll ask Jamey to link to this thread from the Stonemaier site. I think we're already linking to the Revs thread.

As an aside I sometimes overlooked units in the pictures or got it wrong which side a character belonged to. If anyone else has the same issue, then maybe you could consider going from medium to large size in your ImageID tags?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff Marcus! Thank you for the time and energy that went into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's now a link to this thread and to Rev's thread from our Scythe FAQ page.

Thank you both of you. You've created some very helpful resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

As an aside I sometimes overlooked units in the pictures or got it wrong which side a character belonged to. If anyone else has the same issue, then maybe you could consider going from medium to large size in your ImageID tags?

This was actually something i noticed when i was uploading the pictures. Particularly the Nordic character essentially completely hides the blue base. If i had noticed sooner I may have gone back and retaken some of the pictures. I am hoping that since there are only 2 factions on the board, and in all the examples so far the Automa and "player" factions remain consistent it isn't too big of an issue.
I tried to place units in places where they wouldn't camouflage with the board too much, as well as placing encounter tokens so it was easier to tell if they were already removed. I don't have the best set up for lighting and everything to make the pictures as good as they could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

This was actually something i noticed when i was uploading the pictures. Particularly the Nordic character essentially completely hides the blue base. If i had noticed sooner I may have gone back and retaken some of the pictures. I am hoping that since there are only 2 factions on the board, and in all the examples so far the Automa and "player" factions remain consistent it isn't too big of an issue.
I tried to place units in places where they wouldn't camouflage with the board too much, as well as placing encounter tokens so it was easier to tell if they were already removed. I don't have the best set up for lighting and everything to make the pictures as good as they could be.

I think that going to large size would help a lot and I did figure it out in the end .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

No problem Morten! Happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

Anything to help bring more people over to the dark side of solo gaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Delgado
United States
Downey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great examples,..

But on ex.7
wouldn't the worker stay on the forest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PowerRing wrote:
Great examples,..

But on ex.7
wouldn't the worker stay on the forest?

I am not sure where you get 4 from. There are only a total of 3 workers, so those hexes can only be within the neighborhood of at most 3 units (do not count the home base). Also, the number of neighboring automa units is determined after picking the worker up (do not count the unit being moved), so the forest would have a rating of 2 (both the neighboring workers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Delgado
United States
Downey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm,...
Please read page 5 of the Automa rules, along side the "move worker" automa reference card,.. some of the things your saying are a bit off;
-automa home base does have neighborhoods
-selecting valid hexes is determined before "picking up selected worker"
-& the "selected worker's" own hex/neighborhoods are "valid hexes"

Mr. Padersen where are you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much, I've been searching for some more clear examples for my next Automa attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PowerRing wrote:

Reporting for duty .

PowerRing wrote:
Hmmm,...
Please read page 5 of the Automa rules, along side the "move worker" automa reference card,.. some of the things your saying are a bit off;

Yes, the base does have a neighborhood, but it's not an Automa unit and thus it isn't included in the count in step 4.

PowerRing wrote:

That is correct, but the worker is removed before counting neighboring units and thus it's not included in the count in step 4.

So, the space the worker is currently on (the one southwest of the base) only has 2 neighboring Automa units, when doing the count in step 4.

Does this explanation make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PowerRing wrote:
Hmmm,...

While I do not have the rule book in front of me, I will do my best to answer your questions without quoting it directly:
- Automa base does have a neighborhood, correct. But when determining where the worker is moving to, you are selecting hexes based on how many automa unit neighborhoods the hex is within, not "the number of automa neighborhoods" This means the value is 2 (one for each worker). This number does not change if the unit is within the neighborhood of the home base or not. Do not count the number of hexes/home base that the hex is in the neighborhood of, rather just the units.
- Again, selecting valid hexes based on neighborhoods is done prior to picking up the worker, you are correct. This is only determining the valid hexes. Once you have determined the valid hexes, choosing the one to move to is a separate step that occurs after picking up the automa unit.
- again, you are correct. So all the hexes in the neighborhood of the selected worker are valid hexes (including the one the worker is on already), but they are not "in the neighborhood of the most automa units" and therefore will not be selected when determining where to move the worker to.

I find this one to be the most difficult to describe in words, so apologies if my descriptions are difficult to follow. Maybe Rev or Morten can describe it better.

ninja by the man himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
ninja by the man himself.

BGG reports us as posting during the same minute, so let's call it a draw .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Delgado
United States
Downey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone,.. I see where I got it wrong now ("units" vs automa),..
Example 7 is very cleaver,...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Could you explain 4a in a little more detail? I get the first two parts (no valid worker or factory/encounter move) but how come the character isn't able to make a valid move? Why is the hex he is on not considered valid in this example? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "Back to Work" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Schuler23 wrote:
Could you explain 4a in a little more detail? I get the first two parts (no valid worker or factory/encounter move) but how come the character isn't able to make a valid move? Why is the hex he is on not considered valid in this example? Thanks!

I think it infers that since the character is already closest to nearest enemy faction then it stays put. This is irrelevant on the final move option because staying in the same space would prevent the move progression from occurring if it were the first or second but since it is the last it is irrelevant. Maybe saying that the characters move would be to stay in the same space could clear that up some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.