Dead Last» Forums » General

Subject: Why 25G? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
This means we have to collude 7+ rounds. Realistically I'd be done after 4 rounds of final showdown if I'm sober.

What stops this from half or lower the amount? Or after a set number of rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you have played it or not, I haven't. But I assume the rounds can be super fast and allow people to catch up, thus 25 gold should be enough.

I'd recommend trying it out with 15G maybe and then increase to 20 or lower it to 10 if it is too short or too long.

When I play Codenames with my family, the round takes about 15-30 minutes, and everyone always wants another round right after. Obviously that is an indication of the great game Codenames is, but also that many people are ready to play a social/party game for 1-2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lavallee
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a heads up, if you manage to steal all the gold in the final showdown (or end up as the only player left alive) then you could conceivably end up with between 12 and 20 points in a single round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question. It's a good one.

Jonathan provides the primary reason for why you would not want to just chop the number of gold need to win in half. If you manage to score 4 Gold in a single round, which happens with regularity, you could score from 12-20 points in that one round.

Your other suggestion, to set the number of rounds before the game begins, could be a way to shorten the game - or by simply saying the game will end in X minutes. I am a believer in house rules to tailor the game to your group's tastes (and do that with some of the games I enjoy from other companies occasionally).

But your question was, "Why 25 Gold?"
Let me answer that question. This game is all about the 'meta'. And many things shape the meta of the game during play. The shape of the table, who is currently leading, who just stole 4 gold, etc. Because DEAD LAST is a game of colluding with others, alliances are formed - and then shift. For the most part, early leaders become targets and are left in the dark on negotiations, 'power blocks' of people voting together start strong but then fracture as a player in the group pulls ahead, etc. The fun of those betrayals and shifting alliances occurs as part of the game's natural flow in trying to get to 25 Gold. It allows people to come from behind. It allows early leaders to be joined by others with similar Gold Bar counts, making their shot at winning viable again.

25 Gold is all about game flow, to deliver all the richness of how collusion and betrayals occur and shift.

But the game can be tailored, as suggested, for a quick skirmish as well.

Hope that helps shed light on the design intent.
Curt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.