$30.00
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else see this and think something like it might work well for a game like Magic Realm?

I mean, Realmspeak is already sort of what they've done with MoM.

FFG could release an updated MR with an app that functioned perhaps as the setup card, telling everyone which specific physical chit or treasure card to take from a pre-sorted pile, they could integrate the questing game, and release millions of dollars worth of expansions with additional tiles, characters, monsters, treasures, quests, and so on.

MR is a gold mine waiting for the right mining company to come along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one have no interest in a game that requires an app to play. No X-Com, no MoM2, not D2-RtL. This is the reprint of Magic Realm I would not buy into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that would make me buy a new edition of MR would be an app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Magic Realm fan, but I also wouldn't buy a new version if it required an app to play. One of the reasons I play board games is to get away from screens......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Saint-Laurent
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Having bought and played both Mansions of Madness and Descent, and having playing MR on RealmSpeak for years:

Yes. Bring it.

MoM and Descent (with the app) are board games. They play and feel like boardgames. The app doesn't control everything, you still need to move your pieces on the board, roll dice, read the cards and argue over rules. All the app provides is the setup. MoM, for example, took up to 1.5 hours to set up, and your game was broken if you put even one single token in the wrong place. At best, setup took 45 minutes.

I now spend those 45 minutes playing. I have played MoM and Descent more often in the last few months than in all my previous years of owning the game.

The same goes for MR. The paper copy I've had since I was a kid was played 4 times in 25 years. After I found RealmSpeak, I played 4 games in one afternoon. An app for MR would increase that even further, since I wouldn't have to run it on my one remaining PC with Java on it.

So, in summary, Yes. Bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested to see someone try. But it seems to me that shifting the treasure cards or spells to an app doesn't save any time, it just moves it. The initial five or ten minutes dealing out those cards is moved to time spent while the game is in progress, switching back and forth from table to app, then digging into the cards to find the card indicated by the app.

The thing about MR setup is that, although it certainly takes time, everything is all lined up and ready to go while the game is in progress. Grab that chit, right there, or take that top card, right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also fall on the Luddite side of this one. If there were a reprint requiring an app, I'm out. I loved X-Com back on it's first couple of iterations on the PC; I have zero interest in the board game implementation because of the app requirement. Now, if there were a reprint that offered an assistant app that was optional then I'd be interested. For example see the 18XX series and all the Excel/Google Sheets/Java assistants that have been created--nice helpers but not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that would get me to buy an app is if it included someone that popped out of the screen and would setup my magic realm game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
I'd be interested to see someone try. But it seems to me that shifting the treasure cards or spells to an app doesn't save any time, it just moves it. The initial five or ten minutes dealing out those cards is moved to time spent while the game is in progress, switching back and forth from table to app, then digging into the cards to find the card indicated by the app.

The thing about MR setup is that, although it certainly takes time, everything is all lined up and ready to go while the game is in progress. Grab that chit, right there, or take that top card, right there.

Yeah, good point. There's have to be some changes to the way various bits of info are conveyed to the player. If the app merely said "you found the sacred Grail!" And then the onus was on the player to dig through a pile of totally unorganized cards. That would be a step backward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote one of these for my Commodore 64 back in the 80s. It was text based, but I did find it helpful because I didn't need to set up the treasure card, just put it out on the table. Seriously, if "shuffling through treasure cards" takes you so long, I want to go treasure hunting with you! How many treasure cards do you have at the end of a game?

Anyway, this thread made me nostalgic for my C64...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Saint-Laurent
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sort the treasure cards alphabetically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm typing this message on a little palm sized computer that is now ubiquitous, and it's amazing to think Magic Realm was out when there were Commodor 64s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess if I wanted an app to play Magic Realm, I'd play Dark Tower and let the computer do everything.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srschacher wrote:
I guess if I wanted an app to play Magic Realm, I'd play Dark Tower and let the computer do everything.

Steve

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mow.droidt...
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Jeff Thompson wrote:
I wrote one of these for my Commodore 64 back in the 80s.

I wrote one for a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III.

We used it for a few games, but between the awkwardness of switching back-and-forth between the boardgame and the computer, and the time involved in finding the correct chit/card when you needed it, I doubt that it actually saved us any time.

The killer was when the power blipped off momentarily when we were only halfway through a game: that put an end both to that game and to our desire to ever use the program again (the program had no way to save the game state).

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.