Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
so i have nearly all the expansions (almost out of room in villain box) but i have not sleeved the cards yet. i sleeved my Smash Up collection with sleeves from Mayday and really enjoy them so was thinking about getting them for Legendary. but that is a lot of cards. is it worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TL;DR: Yes.

Long answer: At the very least, if you get more than a dozen plays out of any particular S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent or Trooper, they'll be noticeably different from every other hero. Same goes for Scheme Twists and Master Strikes. More plays, more scratches. As a Deckbuilder, your S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents and Troopers will get used all the freakin' time, and you really don't want to drop $60 on a new base set.

Therefore sleeve every Hero and every Villain---and every Wound, because those get shuffled in. This at least includes Sidekicks/New Recruits and maybe Madame HYDRA or the S.H.I.E.L.D. Officer deck.

Maybe spot sleeve the up-to-eight bystanders that get shuffled into the Villain deck, barring certain schemes which shuffle some into the Hero Deck.

----

... aaaaand at that point, you're not all that far from sleeving everything else, because you've only excluded Schemes, Masterminds, and Bystanders. (And, for Secret Wars, Ambition cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Sleeve everything.

Expensive, but cheaper than replacing your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Please people, stop asking if you either have to sleeve your game or not. Do or do not, but don't ask.

2) And yes ! Sleeve everything !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd sleeve everything. You can get away with not sleeving most of the masterminds and schemes. That's how I currently play until I get some spare sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have everything sleeved. Made implementing Big Trouble in Little China a lot easier due to the lack of a marvel logo on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3 games without sleeving, and all my base hands were fraying at the edges (albeit very slightly), and that even doing the most gentle shuffling possible (not brute force).

Just sleeve them. Please. For all of our sakes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not sleeve mine, and the starting cards got pretty ratty. Even though my wife and daughter were not enthused about sleeves, my wife finally decided the ratty cards had become untenable and decided we should. The problem is that my daughter (who loved the game) now refuses to play because she despises handling sleeved cards. I'm considering unsleeving, but to do that I'll probably print out replacement starting cards from PrinterStudio.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
I did not sleeve mine, and the starting cards got pretty ratty. Even though my wife and daughter were not enthused about sleeves, my wife finally decided the ratty cards had become untenable and decided we should. The problem is that my daughter (who loved the game) now refuses to play because she despises handling sleeved cards. I'm considering unsleeving, but to do that I'll probably print out replacement starting cards from PrinterStudio.com.

So your daughter doesnt need to play. Sucks for her. Imo, the cards should be sleeved if youre going to play it more than once a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sleeve it. Waste of time and money. Also, only play the game while also eating ribs. When there is too much barbecue sauce built up on the cards, eat them, and buy new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about you guys, but I find this to be true about my play group. There are always going to be one or two guys who will bend/curve the cards while holding everything in their palm. I specifically sleeved my game and they hold them like normal people. No bends or curves, and they haven't palmed a hand yet. Maybe that's just me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not sleeve my cards and own every set. I know regret that decision. I got the Core set when it first came out, and my common cards (Shields, Master Strikes, Scheme Twists, etc.) and now all scuffed up. It makes it kind of easy to guess what's coming up next in a deck, and to play properly sometimes we have to purposefully not look at the deck. Maybe one day UD will release a set of common cards to buy, but I'm seriously considering investing in the costly matter of sleeving them all with sleeves that have opaque backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Field
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve 'em!

If you use the LaTCG ones listed about halfway down in the comments under the Card Sleeve Sizes thread it's not even that expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of the expansions and have sleeved them all in the Legion Legendary backed sleeves. They're pretty good, but way too expensive. I kind of regret not just using normal clear back sleeves to begin with, but I'm too far gone now. Just best to stay the course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtfunhog wrote:
Sleeve 'em!

If you use the LaTCG ones listed about halfway down in the comments under the Card Sleeve Sizes thread it's not even that expensive.

Those are the ones I use. If you buy them in the largest denomination available (1800/box) they come to somewhere around US$0.013/sleeve or so after shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game more than any in my collection. So I sleeved it pretty quick. Penny sleeves are cheap and all you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've found that penny sleeves tend to get sticky after enough plays. I keep penny sleeves on the Bystanders, mostly, but use premium sleeves for everything else. (Almost-a-Penny at first, but now the 50-to-a-pack clear sleeves.)

I want to upgrade to Matte Blue Dragon Shield sleeves soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:
Sleeve everything.

Expensive, but cheaper than replacing your collection.

Same conclusion I came to as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't sleeve this game. I sleeve others but, when card counts rise past 500, the value is lost to me.
The cards that tend to wear more than others are the twists, strikes, and starting hands, all available in the ~$50 base set.
I don't like the stickiness of penny sleeves, so at this point, that's $3 for 50 sleeves (FFG clear or Ultra Pro colored sleeves with the dot). Replacing the base game is much cheaper than the $150+ that I'd spend on sleeves. I also have villains, so I can switch to that box's twists and things, too.
I'll keep playing this game unsleeved, I think. I can always get opaque sleeves later if they DO start to wear and the game is unavailable and overpriced a la Thunderstone Advance. (I don't sleeve that entire collection, either)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have over 200 plays of Legendary....unsleeved. Gasp!

Plays as great on play 200 as it did on 1. Sleeving to me is silly and obsessive, it's just a game.

But wait, what if the cards show wear...ZOMG. So what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve because I don't want to respend money I've already spent. Penny sleeves for me and I've never had a problem with any of my cards sticking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: Fantastic Four being expensive on the market does a lot to justify sleeving Legendary. The theory that someday I'll mix in Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China or Legendary: MPL or Legendary: Harry Potter (which will be missing the Marvel logo on the back) is also a minor reason (I use opaque-based sleeves). The fact that I now have them sleeved means that should a sleeve break or otherwise become marked I can fix that mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Fantastic Four being so expensive on the market does a lot to justify separating it from my collection and selling it to pay for my entire collection of Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
backspace8908 wrote:
so i have nearly all the expansions (almost out of room in villain box) but i have not sleeved the cards yet. i sleeved my Smash Up collection with sleeves from Mayday and really enjoy them so was thinking about getting them for Legendary. but that is a lot of cards. is it worth it?

So, in conclusion, it's worth it for some and not worth it for others.

For me, it was only worth it when I started turning Legendary into my "geek solitaire" for winding down after stressful work days and realized I was using them more than any game I own, combined.

Mileage varies all over the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relatively recent purchase for me, base game only (though that won't last long! ha), and after just a few plays I went with my usual FFG sleeves. The cards got nicked up pretty fast, and it definitely matters when you can tell you've got a scut Shield Agent coming up vs that rare hero.

As a penny-pincher, it can be tough justifying the added cost. But I also have extenuating circumstances. For one, I have nerve damage in my hands. So shuffling is always a challenge. Sleeves help a lot. And secondly, I'm the "board game guy" in my social and family circles. So I'm often teaching games to new players and kids. And Marvel is an ideal gateway due to its ease of play, relatable Marvel theme, and co-op nature. None of my younger players have trashed my games, but they aren't always great about holding and handling cards due to the size of their own hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.