Subject: First Play of Farmageddon - Farm Fresh Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Tich
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
As a big fan of Hocus, naturally I've had my eye on Farmageddon, as it sounded like it was another small-box card game that was easy to pick up, but still had some bite to it. In Hocus, I love the spell classes that bring countless new strategies to the table every time you play. With Farmageddon, I was really intrigued with the combos that can be created with farmer cards and frankencrops. Tonight, I finally got the game to the table with a friend of mine.

Both of us were new to the game, but I had what I thought was a bit of a head start, having researched the game and seen quite a few of the cards in the deck. Early on I drew Crop Rotation, so I put out a Sassy Wheat along with Crop Insurance (if you lose control of this crop, you get to score the insurance value - I wonder if my premiums will go up?). I also fertilized HIS crop with a Helpful Tater to gain an additional card, knowing full well that I was going to use Crop Rotation to clear this lowly $4 wheat of mine for this more voluptuous $15 Wary Squash in my hand next turn! With no fertilizer, I knew my friend would have little incentive to clear my crop (plus the insurance was a nice deterrent), and lo and behold his turn came and went and I was able to pull off my plan...cool!

Towards the end of the game I notice there are only 3 cards left in the crop deck, so I plant a Grumpy Melon (3 fertilizer requirement) and lay down my two remaining crop cards as fertilizer. Normally this may have been a bit of a gamble, but he only had a couple Farmer cards, so I was feeling pretty safe about this play. Plus, I knew that I'd receive my last necessary crop card on my last turn. Victory was within my grasp!

He collects his final two crop cards (leaving one left for my next turn) and I watch him study his hand. My friend was able to pull off a nice Zippy Carrot/Irrigated Land combo. Since Zippy Carrots can be harvested on the same turn they are planted, he wound up scoring a quick $7 just like that. Ah, how cute? That's okay, I have this nice $10 harvest coming next turn. Then I see the light bulb go off in his head. He reaches across the table and lays down Foul Manure on my Grumpy Melon...

"Why would you protect my crop?" But then it hit me...it adds TWO fertilizer to the harvest requirement, and I'll only have 1 crop card left! Quite honestly, I hadn't really thought to use Foul Manure on the other player because you usually get to draw two crop cards at the start of your turn. To me, it didn't seem like it would delay harvest in many situations. But the timing of this move by my friend was brilliant. I had a wealth of farmer cards that were now obsolete. I can't use any farmer cards, good or bad, on a protected crop, and he harvested his carrot already, leaving a barren field in front of him. My final turn wound up being a 'fruitless' endeavor.

The final tally saw me lose by $9....NINE DOLLARS! Had I been able to score that $10 Melon, I would have won!

Tell you what, if each game has this many interesting twists and combos, Farmageddon - Farm Fresh Edition is going to be a staple at my table for a long, long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up and thank you for sharing! Foul Manure is one of my favorite cards and is a key to what we tried to do with the Farmer cards: all of them have multiple applications, many defensive and offensive. With 11 Frankencrops and 12 Farmer cards, the hope is the combinations and 2-4 player span will keep you busy for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.