GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Is it allowed for an infantry unit to move stop change mode and then fire or, fire at an enemy then change mode and then move? Is this allowed in the same turn?

Can the same be done with vehicles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
OK, this is a complicated question and the answers are pretty spread out in the rules. So, there are a lot of details, but there are a few basic principles:

1 SFAs don't play well with pretty much any other activity. The exceptions are that you can OW before firing the SFA and that MGs can OW after firing the SFA (note that the spotting range against an MG firing OW uses the Fired marker modifier, not the firing OW modifier).

2 PFAs play well with OW, and play OK with movement for vehicles only.

3 Mortars can fire once per major phase.

That's the tl;dr answer. Let's go into more detail. This is likely to get confusing because it's convoluted, but

First, the definition of "turn" matters. Remember, there is only one "game turn" and there are no "player turns." Each player conducts an action phase, with the initiative player going first. This is important because the non-initiative ("second") player's units can often conduct Overwatch fire during the initiative player's Action Phase and then either move or shoot during their own Action Phase. (This depends on unit type combined with whether or not the units are marked with Fired markers.)

Mortars are bound by 9.1a, so they can only fire once per Action Phase.

Firing an SFA is (almost) the only action a unit may take during an action phase; place a Fired marker on any unit that conducts an SFA. Except for MG units, a Fired marker prohibits the marked unit from conducting Overwatch fire. This mean that MG units can fire SFAs, be marked with Fired markers, and still blaze away in Overwatch fire as much as they want. Machineguns with plenty of ammo tend to dominate maneuver on the modern battlefield ... See 13.1 for the full list of restrictions, such as no prior AT Rolls or PFAs.

An infantry unit can move, switch to Fire mode, and then conduct any number of Overwatch fires in either Action Phase. This means that you can conduct bounding Overwatch (one unit moves forward while the second fires OW against Fire triggers, then the second moves forward while the first OWs). An infantry unit that has not moved can fire any number of OWs. This does not affect its ability to move later in the turn, although it would need to pay the cost to switch from Fire mode to Move mode.

Keep in mind that a mortar that fires OW at a Fire trigger during its side's Action Phase cannot then fire an SFA. It can only fire one OW in its side's AP and one OW in the other side's AP, at most. Well, and once in the Aircraft & Artillery Phase. Once per major phase is the way to think of it.

PFAs depend on whether the firer s using vehicle impulses or not. You have to start either the Action Phase or the unit's vehicle impulse in Fire mode to execute a PFA, so you can't move and PFA without using vehicle impulses. PFAs and OW don't affect each other: you can OW and then fire PFAs or vice-versa. You don't get a Fired marker for executing a PFA.

A vehicle can fire and move in the same turn depending on what it does with its impulses. If it is in Fire mode and does not have a Fired marker, it can fire unlimited OW, which has no effect on its ability to execute PFAs or OW later in the phase. If it starts an impulse in Fire mode, it can execute a PFA. A vehicle that executed a PFA in a previous impulse can switch to Move mode and move in the subsequent impulse. A vehicle in Move mode can spend an impulse to switch to Fire mode and then is eligible to do any number of OWs.

I hope that this has helped. Please let me know what needs clarification or editing and I'll update this so that it's available for others in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:

:d6-1: SFAs don't play well with pretty much any other activity. The exceptions are that you can OW before firing the SFA and that MGs can OW after firing the SFA (note that the spotting range against an MG firing OW uses the Fired marker modifier, not the firing OW modifier).

Hi Ethan,

Glad that you have highlighted that a given unit can fire OW before its SFA. This is not explicitely stated in the rule 13.1.b and I didn't notice it so far. Reading it once more, this is perfectly possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That was helpful, but to clear things up.

Taking the "OW" out of the question.

1. a vehicle has 3 impulse moves, can it move on its first impulse move, change modes to fire on 2nd impulse and then fire a PFA on it's third impulse move? (This fire in "not" an OW fire but a PFA.)

2. Can an infantry unit move, stop, change mode and then fire a SFA all in the same phase? (again, this fire is not OW)

ie: I have my infantry unit. There is an enemy unit 8 hexes away. I move toward the enemy, i stop 3 hexes away from the enemy. I change mode from move to fire and then I fire a SFA at the enemy all in the same phase. Is this allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claystone wrote:
That was helpful, but to clear things up.

Taking the "OW" out of the question.

1. a vehicle has 3 impulse moves, can it move on its first impulse move, change modes to fire on 2nd impulse and then fire a PFA on it's third impulse move? (This fire in "not" an OW fire but a PFA.)

Yes. That would be the sequence.

Please, also note that not all vehicles are capable of PFA. In particular, half-tracks only do SFA. And you cannot move them if you with to conduct an SFA with them (see 13.1.b)

claystone wrote:

2. Can an infantry unit move, stop, change mode and then fire a SFA all in the same phase? (again, this fire is not OW)

ie: I have my infantry unit. There is an enemy unit 8 hexes away. I move toward the enemy, i stop 3 hexes away from the enemy. I change mode from move to fire and then I fire a SFA at the enemy all in the same phase. Is this allowed?

No, since rule 13.1b clearly states that a unit must start its action phase in Fire Mode.

The proper tactics would be have a pair of infantry stacks. You change one of them to move mode (spending 1/2 MA), move and change it to fire mode. Then you change the other stack to move mode, move it and change it to fire mode again.

If any enemy OW fire occurs when moving one of the stacks, the other stack may return fire to the enemy firing unit. In particular, this allows you to fire OW with your first stack after you have moved and changed mode.

But, again, if you move your infantry units, forget about doing an SFA with these units this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Thank you for your help... you answered my question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.