Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, first thing's first...

I have not played the game yet.

I goofed around with it tonight, left hand against right hand. That's all.

Am I allowed to have concerns? Will I be told that I'm a horrible person to post about a game I haven't played?

Certainly.

However, I'm hoping to have my concerns put to rest by some decent, level-headed person who has played the game (and who isn't suffering from raging sunk cost fallacy).

However, before I jump in, let me emphasize that:

The following is not a review. It isn't even criticism. It's just concerns. Stuff I'm worried about. Maybe I'm just a worrier! Maybe the game works just fine. I would love that to be the case, since I already paid for it!

So, here they are:

The tote board. Does it reward people for playing it safe and making show bets? The surest bets are 6,7.8 to show. They pay out even money, where a win bet pays out 3/1. Is it worth it to chase that 3/1 when you can just double up pretty comfortably every turn?

The longshots. There's a 2.77% chance of rolling a 2 or 12. You have to do that an absolute minimum of twice during a race (with the +6 modifier) to get a longshot winner. I've won a $5 bet on a 25-1 horse at Santa Anita in real life. That was a stupid bet, but much less stupid than expecting to see snake-eyes twice in the 20 or so rolls that make up a HomeStretch race, right? And again, two rolls is only going to do it with the modifier, without that you'd be completely nuts to bet on the longshot.

No one loses money? I guess that makes sense to encouraging gambling when the odds are overwhelmingly against you. Still it just seems weird in a betting game not to lose money when you lose a bet. Did I miss a rule? I looked over and over that section and didn't see anything about your marker going backwards on the score track.

The second round of buying. Why do you pay $3k extra for a blind draw? You can easily end up getting stuck paying for a horse that only you hold shares in, which is just wasted money. The whole share-buying thing seems really wonky. I'd love to hear why I'm wrong about that!

In conclusion, I'm hoping to bring this out at an upcoming game night but there will be a few people who are completely new to the hobby there and I really don't want to lay an egg!

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tote Board I think you are missing the handicaps in your calculations wrt to saying 6/7/8 are the best bets. Usually the better horses are handicapped.

The longshots It depends on how many people have shares on the long shots. Remember, the roller gets to re-roll. I have seen the long shots win in this game. But sure, if no one owns the long shots then it's even a longer shot.

No one loses money? Everyone bets the same amount essentially so this doesn't really matter.

The second round of buying. It's a game about gambling, so you are gambling on getting a horse share that you think is better than what's showing. No one is forcing you to buy sight unseen.

But, not the "play it and see" line. It really is pretty balance with the handicaping, re-rolls and share ownership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.