Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Minis or Tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Alright BGG. Let's settle this. After fidgeting with the minis, and the bases covering most of whatever space they occupy... I'm almost certain that I prefer the tokens.

The exception being the Starspawn minis add more 'weight' to that particular monsters presence on the board. Maybe I'll go tokens for regular monsters, but minis for the very large ones...?

What are your thoughts?

Poll
Do you prefer the minis with their immense square bases, or do you prefer the art on the monster tokens?
Minis
Tokens
      167 answers
Poll created by Dalamarth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalamarth wrote:
Alright BGG. Let's settle this. After fidgeting with the minis, and the bases covering most of whatever space they occupy... I'm almost certain that I prefer the tokens.

The exception being the Starspawn minis add more 'weight' to that particular monsters presence on the board. Maybe I'll go tokens for regular monsters, but minis for the very large ones...?

What are your thoughts?

Poll
Do you prefer the minis with their immense square bases, or do you prefer the art on the monster tokens?
Minis
Tokens
      167 answers

This poll needs a third option for "rebasing". It is a solution that gives the best of both worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, while i personally don't mind the bases that much, it's really the only component i find lacking and overall just don't match. it drives me insane the holes don't match up on some of them. (yes i'm a miniature gamer, and no i don't have a problem with the mini's themselves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A clear Base is the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Dalamarth wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Poll
Minis
Tokens
      167 answers

This poll needs a third option for "rebasing". It is a solution that gives the best of both worlds.

How does rebasing let me see the art of the token while playing? (Also, it does nothing for the nightmare of storing all the minis and taking 1e + 2e stuff to game night...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the bases, since it allows you to use Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, MoM1 and MoM2 tokens...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost 50/50. I always use the tokens, but for monster/large and stable minis, I use those as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As many other I will use the minis but change the bases to clear ones.
I do like the art on the tokens but painted minis looks better for this kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Dalamarth wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Poll
Minis
Tokens
      167 answers

How does rebasing let me see the art of the token while playing? (Also, it does nothing for the nightmare of storing all the minis and taking 1e + 2e stuff to game night...)

You don't really need the tokens to be near the miniatures, I just keep one copy for each monster type and place them near the board for reference whenever a monster spawns.

(I also painted the minis and rebased them on clear acrylic bases)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I still prefer minis despite the bulky bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely needs a rebasing option. After successfully rebasing my mini's and painting all of them, they look fantastic.

Granted, I definitely understand that not everyone has the time/experience to paint all of the figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini's with clear bases here (thank you Litko!)

Also, ladies and gentlemen, grab those Scrabble Racks for your table top 'Monster Drawer'. The tokens line up perfectly for the few times they are referenced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cotgrave wrote:
Mini's with clear bases here (thank you Litko!)

Also, ladies and gentlemen, grab those Scrabble Racks for your table top 'Monster Drawer'. The tokens line up perfectly for the few times they are referenced.

Yeah, I'm going to go with clear bases as well. I hadn't thought of the scrabble racks though. Thanks for the reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scrabble Racks.

My pleasure.

I am sure I am not the first one to think of them, one point worth mentioning is that we discovered we had two types of rack - one that had a large rounded lip to hold the letters on and one that had only a little edge-like lip. Only the rounded lip one seems to hold the MoM tokens on there without having to worry about jostling the rack.

Have a great weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokens. By the time I finish painting, there's usually a new edition out. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use both: tokens for the smaller monsters and minis for the big ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I actually like the bases, since it allows you to use Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, MoM1 and MoM2 tokens...

-shnar

Which is exactly the reason FFG designed the bases the way they did. It allows cross compatibility with the entire range of Arkham Horror Files games. I understand that they may seem bulky, particularly on the human sized creatures, but there's method in the madness (pun totally intentional)

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which size and thickness are people using in the Litko bases? And where is the best place to order them?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Which is exactly the reason FFG designed the bases the way they did. It allows cross compatibility with the entire range of Arkham Horror Files games. I understand that they may seem bulky, particularly on the human sized creatures, but there's method in the madness (pun totally intentional)

goo

I understand their intention, but I think it'd have been easier to just design normal bases and put the token under the base. The large bases make it hard to fit multiple enemies in a space, cover up pertinent game tokens in that space, and hide the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All valid points Christopher, but I'd rather have the chit locked to the base rather than having to make sure I picked them both up if they were separate. I think this is one of those Apples/Oranges debates; everybody's right, but not everyone is happy. It's great that there are alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
All valid points Christopher, but I'd rather have the chit locked to the base rather than having to make sure I picked them both up if they were separate. I think this is one of those Apples/Oranges debates; everybody's right, but not everyone is happy. It's great that there are alternatives.

We could just paint the pertinent numbers from the chit onto the new base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.