Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bernd,

Can this expansion be played with the solitaire variant?

Many thanks,

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good Question...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not implemented at the moment, but maybe I'll find the time to test and include it.

Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reading through the rules for the expansion, and whilst I haven't actually seen the new cards yet, it seems to me that you can probably just play the rules for an additional game round in the solo game without any problem.

As for the Patronus cards, I'm not sure how they would work exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the expansion and will hopefully give the solo game a go this weekend using the base game rules. I am going to guess that by adding another round of play and using the Patronus cards (these give you more ways to stop the catastrophes), that the solo game will become easier. But I don't see an issue with making a few tweaks to the rules if necessary because of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my first attempt:

Solo Level 1
w/ Patronus Expansion

Mo AI
Delphi Argos
VPs: 34+6 27+2
Pop: 29+2 21+6
Tot: 31 27

Plague: Yes, Recovered
Drought: Yes, Avoided
Tempest: Yes, Avoided
Earthquake: No
Decline: No

Result: Mo Wins

This was my first session to include the new Patronus expansion. As expected, it was a pretty easy win on Level 1. There are no solo rules which include the expansion as of yet, so I played it per the base game rules. The only changes I added were:

• If I bought a Patronus card, the AI took the other one.
• If the AI had any of the new Era D cards with bonuses on them, I applied them to its score.

I started out purchasing a Patronus card in each of the first three turns of the game. They are cheaper in Era A, and they help to stop catastrophes, so why not? And after adding a couple of landscapes to give me some resources, I pretty much bought buildings the rest of the way, most of them from the Conquest row so as not to give the AI extra coin cards. Victory was mine.

Overall, the new cards are nice, and the game is still just as much fun with the extra round of play. The game is most definitely easier, as the deck is more diluted now. Some of the new power cards don't even have a catastrophe symbol on them! In this session, Earthquake didn't trigger a single time. And Decline didn't occur either. In my seven previous solo plays, only once did two catastrophes not occur.

I'll have to play some more on the harder solo levels, but after a single session, I don't see why the new expansion wouldn't work with the current solo rules. The only change I was thinking of would be to only reveal two new Patronus cards at the start of the first three Eras rather than at the start of every round. This will ease up on some of the "easy" catastrophe cancellations by the player.

Very happy with it so far, though.

It does take up a little more space too, of course. Here's the end of the game right before scoring:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, Mo, thanks for trying this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a second game, this time on Level 2. I tied with the AI at 18-18, but he had the Oracle (new Era D power card). This card allows the owner to use his higher of the two scores if he has more than 8 luxury goods. Since the AI doesn't track luxury, I figured this was a good tie breaker in this instance. So it won 18-27.

The second play was a lot tougher as I started with Argos. Last game I had Delphi which gives the player six cards to start. Argos only gives three. That's why I had an easy time getting the Patronus cards. This time around, I couldn't get my first one until the third round of the game. And then I got struck with Decline so I couldn't build up any Luxury goods. It was a struggle to the end.

Good stuff!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting.

Level 1 is ridiculously easy anyway, after my first game I went straight to level 4 which seems like a good level of difficulty.

The rules you're using for Patronos cards might need some tweaking; seems like the advantage they grant is mainly for the player's benefit (AI doesn't need catastrophe protection). Maybe each patronos card it gets should count as +1 population as well as +1 power point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Interesting.

Level 1 is ridiculously easy anyway, after my first game I went straight to level 4 which seems like a good level of difficulty.

The rules you're using for Patronos cards might need some tweaking; seems like the advantage they grant is mainly for the player's benefit (AI doesn't need catastrophe protection). Maybe each patronos card it gets should count as +1 population as well as +1 power point?

Yes, they may need some tweaking, but the Patronus cards aren't necessarily as easy to get as in my first play. They do have a cost. One, for example, costs 6 food plus 1, 2, or 3 coins depending on which Era you purchase it. I had Delphi in that first game and six cards to start, four of which were food. Plus two of my three "free" resources (level 1 solo) were food, so I had no problem buying it on the first turn. That won't necessarily be the case most times.

Another costs 3 Luxury goods plus a number of coins. Generally, I haven't had Luxury goods in the first couple of turns. But yes, they give an advantage to the player in terms of catastrophes, which the AI doesn't need. And they all give 1vp, so it's a wash between the player and AI there.

Hm, this does bring up a question that I don't think is in the rules (I don't have them in front of me at the moment):

Bernd - can you buy a Patronus card and put it under construction if you don't have the resources to pay for it? I am guessing not as that would make them too easy to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you buy a patronus card and a regular building in one turn, presumably you can't count your resources twice (once for each card)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do say you gain the extra resources as luxury goods when you buy a Patronus card, just like you do when you buy a regular power card. So yes, you would do it twice in one round.

However, the rules don't specify this, but I took it as implied: only some of the Patronus cards require wood & stone resources. Others require food only or luxury goods only.

So, if I bought a Patronus card that requires food, I only counted up my food production and took any extra as luxury. I didn't also count my wood and stone and take all of those as luxury. Therefore, when I bought the Patronus card that requires luxury, I didn't receive any luxury goods as I didn't count up my food nor my wood and stone.

So there are definite advantages to some cards over others, but you're also looking for help against whatever catastrophe that is looming over your head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mo!

About your question: No - a patronus card cannot be "under construction"!

Greetings
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played this a few of times solo now (using the extra cards for a sixth player, and the cards for an extra round but not the patronus cards) and in my opinion it plays pretty seamlessly. I have certainly not found it easier so far. The only card I'm not sure about is the Oracle, and in particular how it should work for your opponent.

The card is potentially very powerful; if you more than 8 luxury goods at the end allows you to use the higher of your population or power points (instead of the lower) to determine your score. Since in solo mode the opponent doesn't accumulate luxuries, should this card have no effect for them (it comes with no additional population or power points of its own)? Perhaps if it has over a certain number of coin cards (once you've separated the population cards) before it qualifies? 9 seems too little though...

As for incorporating the patronus cards...I'm still not sure how to fairly incorporate them into the game without making it easier but maybe I should just try a game or two and see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having played some more, I'm beginning to think that playing with the Patronus cards works fine using Mo's rule (posted above) where when the player takes a Patronus card the opponent gets the other one. It doesn't seem to tip the balance much in my experiences so far.

However I'm not comfortable playing with the Oracle as I just don't know how best to decide when the opponent gets the benefits of this card (when they win it). So I've decided just to play without it when playing solo. That's not a problem anyway when using the extra card for the 6th player because you still have 6 cards. That'll do until such time as some official rules come out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.