Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no slave to graphic design, but I was shocked when first introduced to Puerto Rico. Compared to many other modern games, especially amongst the award winning and generally well received, the aesthetic quality seemed lacking. If nothing else I expected the building chits to have at least San Juan quality imagery.

Anyhow, after seeing Mike Doyle's personal revamp of the artwork I began to wonder if the success this title has been receiving might result in something more artistically refined coming our way. I mean, does Alea ever do graphically updated reprints of popular titles?

Anyhow, just curious. Oh, if you're curious about that aforementioned artwork, check here ( http://mdoyle2.blogspot.com/2006/07/puerto-rico-ii.html and http://mdoyle2.blogspot.com/2006/07/puerto-rico-i.html )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alea has not yet reprinted any of their older titles (although they were forced to reprint the FX Schmied classic "Adel Verpflichtet").

And if they did decide on reprinting Puerto Rico would it most likely be with the original graphics, which is fitting an alea game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

And if they did decide on reprinting Puerto Rico would it most likely be with the original graphics, which is fitting an alea game.

Damn shame. Puerto Rico is probably the ugliest good game I own. It does wonders to turn off new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already been discussed how that main board hampers gameplay. IMHO, those player boards look ridiculous and about as anti-thematic as you can get. It seems like all of his designs are extremely abstract, so I guess that is just his style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I'm no slave to graphic design, but I was shocked when first introduced to Puerto Rico. Compared to many other modern games, especially amongst the award winning and generally well received, the aesthetic quality seemed lacking. If nothing else I expected the building chits to have at least San Juan quality imagery.

Anyhow, after seeing Mike Doyle's personal revamp of the artwork I began to wonder if the success this title has been receiving might result in something more artistically refined coming our way. I mean, does Alea ever do graphically updated reprints of popular titles?

Anyhow, just curious. Oh, if you're curious about that aforementioned artwork, check here ( http://mdoyle2.blogspot.com/2006/07/puerto-rico-ii.html and http://mdoyle2.blogspot.com/2006/07/puerto-rico-i.html )

I guess it is better but it is not that good. This is too cluttered and too digital looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
It has already been discussed how that main board hampers gameplay. IMHO, those player boards look ridiculous and about as anti-thematic as you can get. It seems like all of his designs are extremely abstract, so I guess that is just his style.

It should be pointed out that those player mats aren't really meant to be included next to the board from the first link. The board is a replacement for the mats, and an excellent one imho. The arrangement of buildings to roles is very clean and concise.

Guess Mike Doyle is either a love'em or leave'em kinda artist. I personally love his sense of delicate abstraction which always seems based around artwork from the period in question (his crowning achievement is the Caylus board, which is just screaming for preorder next month). My post wasn't really meant to center around Doyle's work, however, since I could just make that board and be happy.

I was just curious if *any* updated graphics could be hoped for since I've not been around long enough to observe Alea's business practices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I was just curious if *any* updated graphics could be hoped for since I've not been around long enough to observe Alea's business practices.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about alea. It is very unlikely that the game will be published again in German - at least anytime soon.

It is far more likely that it will continue to be published in USA, where a change in graphics may be a possibility. Although the question which then begs to be asked is: will RGG continue to reprint the existing game as it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.