GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,166 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of rules need answering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only just got the game and playing with the RTL app.

Do the abilities on the back of monster cards still take effect?
Example is the WEB effect on the master spider and ive noticed GRAB on the zombies proceeded by an action symbol (how does the zombie use that action.......will the app specifically say "GRAB hero"........

When spending fatigue is the following allowed:

Hero with 5 fatigue
2 player game which includes the free attack

spend 2 fat to move 2
free attack action
spend 2 fat to move 2
Attack action
spend 1 fat to move 1
Attack action

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
All passive Monster abilities are in effect. Master cave spider's Web for instance.

All Action abilities take effect when the App instructs you to use them during a monster group's activation. Sometimes the App will give monsters more than what is listed on their monster card. The minion zombies might be able to Grab for one activation. The minion Ettin might use Throw. The app will always tell you when the monsters will use their Action abilities.

Fatigue is suffered, rather than spent. You add fatigue tokens to a hero when they suffer fatigue. The distinction is not really important in most cases, but if you have an item that adds +1 Stamina and it is unequipped, the amount of Fatigue suffered does not change and all Fatigue tokens remain on the hero.

The answer to your question is yes, that is legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
All passive Monster abilities are in effect. Master cave spider's Web for instance.

All Action abilities take effect when the App instructs you to use them during a monster group's activation. Sometimes the App will give monsters more than what is listed on their monster card. The minion zombies might be able to Grab for one activation. The minion Ettin might use Throw. The app will always tell you when the monsters will use their Action abilities.

So like the rules booklet says if playing as an overlord, if a monster has a special action it will use that special action as its attack........so this does not apply to RTL app???????.........i have never seen a zombie activation that specifically says GRAB a hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It will say that from time to time. The app will give a list of actions to do, typically move and attack. I have seen it say to specifically use an ability as well. Just be sure to read through all the actions listed in that activation prompt as the options change every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
(Basic rule, applies to normal play and RtL) Special actions are not considered to be a monster's Attack action unless the action includes an attack (Elemental: Fire for example). Grab is not one of those actions. The App will instruct you when to use a Monster's special attack actions.

I can confirm that in RtL, at least one zombie activation result (at the top) will instruct "After each zombie's activation, that zombie performs "Grab" on a hero". This applies to the minions even though they lack the Grab ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
(Basic rule, applies to normal play and RtL) Special actions are not considered to be a monster's Attack action unless the action includes an attack (Elemental: Fire for example). Grab is not one of those actions. The App will instruct you when to use a Monster's special attack actions.

I can confirm that in RtL, at least one zombie activation result (at the top) will instruct "After each zombie's activation, that zombie performs "Grab" on a hero". This applies to the minions even though they lack the Grab ability.

so after its activation it performs 2 actions (lets say engage, then attack)and then it performs grab?...... or.......its attack action IS grab?

I also came across an ettin and the top ability says the ettin uses throw immediately and then the eactions in order are

Engage
Attack
Throw

Is throw classed as an attack action? Or in addition to the 2 actions already performed......and I though monsters could only ever attack once.

I think once I clear this up I'll fully understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app will periodically break the normal rules by tiving monsters extra actions than they would have in an OL game- it will usually state this in the box above the action choices. In an ordinary game, each activation contains 2 actions. For a monster, only one of these may be an attack.

Since Grab does not involve going through the steps of combat (declare target, roll dice, check range, spend surges, and deal damage) it is not an attack. Therefore, a zombie activation could legitimately look like any of the following:

Move, Attack

Move, Grab

Grab, Attack

Grab, Grab

(Most monsters can 'Move, Move', but zombies cannot because of 'Shambling'.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
While the result of Throw is that a hero can receive damage, it is not an attack action. Attack actions always roll dice and are defended against with other dice. They are also always explicit ("Make an attack", for example). Throw is not an attack action.

In the case of the example I told about the Zombies, the grab is attempted after each zombie is finished taking its actions and is not part of its two actions for that activation.

Sometimes the app will have a monster attack as part of the special instructions before or after activation, and that attack does not count toward the monster's One Attack action allowance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
Be sure to check the info screen as well (click/tap the skull where it tells you how to spend surges). A lot of times it will specify when and how certain special abilities will be used. The Ironbound, for instance, will use protect whenever it is available unless activating it (the take 1 heart part of it) would kill them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a bit unsure but the ettin. ......the top part of the activation said the ettin throws immediately......I take it he doesn't if not adjacent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Since Throw specifies something adjacent, and the App does not give an allowance for targets that aren't adjacent with the Throw instruction, that is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.