GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Worth getting it on 2016? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Unai Martinez
Spain
Heppenheim
flag msg tools
Hello,

I am a huge fan of Lovecraft's Mythos, I have read most of his work.

I am a happy owner of Eldritch Horror with all the available expansions, a game which I truly love.

I will certainly buy the Arkham LCG and maybe MoM 2ed as well, but lately I was thinking buying either Elder Sign for more casual plays or the precursor of everything, Arkham Horror.

I don't want to start a discussion of which is better, Eldritch or Arkham, I just want to know if it really worth buying Arkham (just the core or maybe with one big expansion) to play together with Eldritch, or the time for this game is over and has it been fully replaced by Eldritch? Would Arkham provide me something Eldritch does not do it?

If you would have to choose between Elder Sign and Arkham Horror as "complement" for Eldritch, which one would you take?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unai,

Well, as someone who started playing Arkham Horror more than seven years ago, I'm enthralled by the immersive, intimate quality of the game, which for me is completely lacking in Eldritch Horror. I'm sure it's a fine game, but not one that appeals to the RPGer in me. If you want the tension raised at a more micro-level, then definitely pick-up Arkham Horror. Elder Sign is the only other Mythos game on my shelves and plays in half the time. It's lighter fare to be sure, but still provides more of the personal as opposed to the sweeping nature of Eldritch Horror. In short, neither of these games complement Eldritch, but for my tastes they definitely complement each other.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had a similar decision to make. Owning EH and all its expansions, I wondered whether I should grab AH. In the end I did, and I am so glad for that.

AH plays differently from EH and both are great games imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm probably never going to play Arkham Horror again. I loved it very much, but EH has thoroughly replaced it for me - so, if I were in your shoes, I'd skip AH.

Regarding Elder Sign - do you own a tablet or smartphone? If you do, you can try the Elder Sign app version for a couple of bucks. It's not exactly the same as the physical game, but it should give you a feel for how it works. It's what I did, and that let me come to the conclusion that Elder Sign is a decent enough game, and I'll play the app version every now and then when I'm bored, but there's probably no need for me to own the physical version.

But I will almost certainly buy into the Arkham LCG when it's out, and maybe Mansions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am a HUGE Arkham Horror fan and enjoy the Lovecraftian universe as theme, I won't talk you OUT of purchasing AH. The only thing I WILL tell you is this: if you think you will be able to only purchase the core and one big expansion, you are fooling yourself! 8-) You have already felt the draw that owning a piece of this system when you bought all the expansions for EH.

I have just set up for my 3rd annual AH game, played solo and recorded so I can write up a narrative style session report. I LOVE how each play tells not only the game/expansion story, but develops micro-stories between the characters in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Coventry
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
I recently had a similar decision to make. Owning EH and all its expansions, I wondered whether I should grab AH. In the end I did, and I am so glad for that.

AH plays differently from EH and both are great games imo.

Same experience. I like both of them, and to me they feel different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umartinez wrote:
I don't want to start a discussion of which is better, Eldritch or Arkham, I just want to know if it really worth buying Arkham (just the core or maybe with one big expansion) to play together with Eldritch, or the time for this game is over and has it been fully replaced by Eldritch?
It really depends on what you are looking for in a game.

In the past, I loved Arkham.
Lately I gave it a few shots after a long break. It was sad to realize that Eldritch has destroyed Arkham for me.
Basically all the things that were most appealing for me in Arkham, Eldritch did better.
But many features were lost with the "conversion". For me, those weren't important enough. For others, maybe for you, those might be very appealing.

tl;dr
Find a way to play Arkham Horror somewhere, and see for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try and get a copy of the original Arkham Horror back from 1987. Now, that would let you experience something completely different for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While both games have similar mechanics on the surface, they both play very differently. Eldritch is more of a globe-spanning adventure, Arkham is more the personal stories and journeys of the investigators. Arkham plays more like a roleplaying game, and players tend to become quite attached to their investigators. Both are fun games and we enjoy both.

Rather than allow the personal preferences and histories in this thread to dictate what you do, I suggest getting more information then decide for yourself.

There are some very good Arkham Horror playthroughs on YouTube, which are both entertaining and do a good job of showing you how to play. Catweazle's are a lot of fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg/pla...

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick list of major mechanical differences in the games:

- No encounter or checks needed to pick up clues in Arkham, just movement to the location. Clues are much easier to come by at least early in the game.
- Monsters are fought in the Movement Phase in Arkham rather than the Encounter phase as in Eldritch
- No Action Phase in Arkham - the turn plays quite differently
- No auto escape of monsters in Arkham -- you must make an Evade check to disengage
- No partial damage to monsters in Arkham.
- No condition cards with flipped effects in Arkham (love those about Edritch), though there are Bank Loans, Blessings and Curses, Madness and Injuries (with the Dunwich expansion)
- The encounters are based on individual locations within the cities
- No Reckonings in Arkham (unless you happen to be playing with the Lurker at the Threshold expansion)
- Trading clues is permitted in Eldritch, not so in Arkham

Sure there's a few more, but that's the high level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both elder sign and mansions of madness are better compliments to your collection than Arkham horror. There was a recent thread very similar to this one on this forum, and I mentioned you will find a fair amount of Arkham horror bias here. That's fine but know who your audience is. I happened to find this thread from the main page.

Elder sign plays in a fraction the time, and with the Gates or Arkham or omens of ice expansions, it is a solid thematic game that feels substantially different than eldritch or Arkham horror. Less rules and less time make it a great alternative to those other games.

Mansions of madness is completely unique and brings a great app to the table that helps streamline rules, randomize encounters, reduces components on the table and brings a healthy dose of added theme with background music and noises. Mansions of madness has miniatures, several scenarios, and is a much more intimate story-telling experience than eldritch horror and even Arkham horror. Like, elder sign, mansions of madness is substantially different and worth being in my collection.

Tons of people argue that Arkham horror is different enough to warrant owning it and eldritch horror. In fact, so many people said that on the other thread that I reconsidered buying it again. That is until I remembered it's too rule heavy in a bad way with too much bookkeeping, and eldritch horror gives me a very similar feel with less headache. Is there a difference between Arkham and eldritch? Absolutely. But not a big enough one to where I find it worth keeping Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the Lovecraftian mythos - in my view it is much better incorporated in Arkham Horror than in Eldritch Horror.

EH is more adventurous in an Indiana Jonesy way, with the world spanning journeys of the investigators, and it is fun to visit all these locations.
OTOH, while the AO and their mythos are very well implemented, the location encounters sometimes feel odd (especially when playing only the core game and they start to repeat).

AH captures the claustrophobic feeling of many of Lovecraft's stories perfectly. The investigators are bound to the narrow streets of Arkham and are threatend by opening gates and horrible monsters at every turn.

I think both are great games with great expansions. They are also very different games and there is no reason not to own or play both of them.
I would also recommend to watch some playthrough videos of AH to get a feeling for the game.

Also:
Beholm wrote:
---snip---
The only thing I WILL tell you is this: if you think you will be able to only purchase the core and one big expansion, you are fooling yourself! 8-) You have already felt the draw that owning a piece of this system when you bought all the expansions for EH.
---snip---

This! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how much time you want to devote to a game, and whether or not you mind A LOT of rules.

I love Arkham Horror. I do. It was one of the games that pulled me headlong into this hobby. But I never play it anymore. I wish I did, but it just comes down to time.

My friends and I don't usually have the time to relearn/refamiliarize ourselves with all the rules and minutiae, and get a game in. If we do have several hours to burn, we'll likely play something faster so we can get multiple games in.

However, if you have the time and inclination, this game really is a marvel. It just FEELS good. Looking out across the board, awash with possibilities, horrors, tokens, gates, cards... it all feels very epic... and many times very hopeless (as you would expect). If you don't mind the time involved to learn, set up, play, and tear down this beast of a game, it will reward you in dividends (mostly in salty tears of defeat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I don't know you, I'd play the odds and say Eldritch Horror.

For me, EH is a pale imitator of the swirling chaos and mass of cards and boards that is a complete set of Arkham Horror though. I'll never own EH, and keep buying components to improve AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umartinez wrote:
I am a huge fan of Lovecraft's Mythos, I have read most of his work.

This is all I need to know to give you an answer: Arkham Horror is not the easiest game for mechanics, one of the worst "great" games for rules clarity, but it's the most true to HPL (and HPL-based) literature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it And I love EH too.

If you can play AH without purchasing give it a try first. As everyone else mentions it can be a little daunting rules wise... but if you don't mind getting the odd rule wrong while you learn the game you'll have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bear
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Arkham horror to Eldritch. As a boardgamer I have to admit that eldritch is a better game. But I already have a lot of games, arkham horror scratches a different itch for me. I love horror movies, and arkham horror is the only game that gives me the feeling that i'm a character in a horror movie. This feeling is lacking in eldritch horror, and I felt more like indiana jones. With all the expansions arkham horror is not yet matched in it's toolbox horrorworld vibe. Try it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer AH over EH as well. Elder Sign does get more play because it's quicker and easier to set up and play and takes up (a little) less table space. Between base, Gates, and Omens, there's a lot of variability (although I prefer Omens more than Gates at present.)

EH, to me, is clunky and fiddly throughout and takes longer to set up.
EH is more of a 'game', AH is more of an 'experience'. If someone wants to play EH, especially someone who knows how to play, I'll gladly play it, but I'll more gladly play AH.

To me, it's ES (based primarily on speed/ease of setup and play) > AH > EH.

AH and EH are different games, so if you like the different feel, it is "worth" getting both. But given that AH can be a large monetary and space commitment, it's also worth giving it a play before buying.

I only have base EH and AH, but base/Gates/Omens for Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect that my situation is common:

Prefer AH > EH > ES
Get to Table EH > AH > ES

(putting aside solo, where I really cannot be arsed to play anything other than ES because of the setup times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it does take considerably more time to set up a base game of AH than it takes with a base game of EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the games being in competition to each other. Eldritch Horror feels like a board game and Arkham Horror feels like more an RPG. I think someone said that AH as "more intimate" and that is a good way of putting it. I see Fortune and Glory as competition for EH and went with because I felt like it would be easier to get people who weren't familiar with the Lovecraft theme to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which ones are worth getting if you primarily play solo? Or rather control at least 2 investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Which ones are worth getting if you primarily play solo? Or rather control at least 2 investigators.

Dunwich is always the first one to get suggested, cause the Injury & Madness cards are great.

But you're probably best playing with 3 or 4 investigators. I solo with 3 quite often, but starting out you'll probably want 4. The scaling at 2 isn't great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was convinced this wasn't my genre, but I found AH at an irresistible price on Craigslist. Turns out that I love it! I haven't played the others, so I'm of little help there.

I really came on to say that if you wind up springing for it, be sure to print Mr. Skeletor's turn flowchart.

A few turns while consulting this and you will be well on your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both great games. Arkham is in the trenches, up close and personal. Eldritch is Arkham Horror at 10,000', to use a simple analogy...'cos I'm...simple .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.