Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play of For the People

I took the Confederates due to southern sympathies, and its my game!
Game started slow, with only one battle in VA in the first turn.
On the 2nd turn army of northern virginia was formed and with the help of Jeb Stuart started to inflict damage on the army of the potomac, just after obliterating B. Butler who was too bold for his own good and ventured outside of fort Monroe just to be struck by the newly formed army while out of supply.

Epic things started to happen in 3rd turn when Van Dorn swept Kentucky only to be eradicated by Halleck who got all the way next to Nashville.
With many fights in VA but with no territorial gains, Army of the Potomac with McDowell in charge was hitting Army of NV hard which was commanded by Beauregard, with great advantage in manpower.

Army of Missouri (Rosecrans) attacked lightly defended Memphis fort that included newly commissioned ironclad Virginia that managed to defend just enough (1SP left) for J. Johnson to come from arkansas and reinforce. In the meantime Army of Tennessee descended on the AoM's rear and left them out of supply and with only 3 sp. In the next turn Union army tried to get back to (union controlled) Paducah but was intercepted from two spaces away (3cigars) and obliterated! Huzzah for A. Johnston, the star of the confederate cause! We are thinking about adding an extra star to the flag just to represent him.

On the next turn Confederate Army of the West was formed in Memphis with J.Johnston as the commanding general (probably a mistake, considering Jackson and Longstreet will be coming next turn, now when I think about it), but the enlistment emptied Nashville and Halleck was able to take it by surprise with his puny force (forgot that Nashville is resource space!).

There was not a single attack on the atlantic ocean ports and the blockade is nonexistant.
Nobody controls western border states yet, even though confederates are holding 5 spaces in Missouri and have a decent force there, and Kentucky is barren and devoid of any troops, but the WV fell to unionists...

It took us about 5hours to finish 4 turns, which is not that bad considering it was our first play and my opponent didnt manage to read trough all the rules beforehand. Only major blunder we did was forgetting not to go trough reinforcement phase on the 3rd turn. Oh and I was putting SP's into coastal forts instead of ports, but that had no impact on the game as as the enemy wasn't doing anything in that regard. Looks like this is legal after all.

Situation after 4 turns

To be continued, hopefully next thursday...

Oh and yea, game gets 9/10, just because I don't want to roll on the leader casualty table
The only negative I can think of right now is the fiddliness of the reinforcement phase for the confederate player. It is sometime hard to keep track of how much SP you put on the map when at the same time you're trying to find the best location for them/watch out not to put more than one in a single state, which usually doesnt matter that much as you move most of the fellas via strategic movement just a step later.

I would love to be able to buy ultimate deluxe edition that would have bigger counters/map spaces, as they can get hard on the eyes and not easy to read, especially from the other side of the board. But then again I wouldnt be able to fit it on my 90x90 wargaming table if that was the case

P.S. If anyone has that Hooker errata counter to spare, I am willing to offer it a good home^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice session report. What's wrong about the leader casualty roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chokin wrote:

Nothing but if I give the game a 10 (especially now, as it would be a modified 10), that triggers the cas roll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:
chokin wrote:

Nothing but if I give the game a 10 (especially now, as it would be a modified 10), that triggers the cas roll

Oh! right, didn't get it the first time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.