Subject: How exactly should the enable scoring cards be played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do I play it during enable scoring action and leave it on the table or can it be played when the scoring actually happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Do I play it during enable scoring action and leave it on the table or can it be played when the scoring actually happens?

1. It is your First, Second, or Third Action
2. Remove your Enable scoring card from your hand. Reveal it to others.
3. Resolve the text on the lower half of the card. Do not resolve any of the Move, Build, or Recruit symbols in the top left.
4. To remember that YOU enabled scoring, and to prevent others from doing so, place your Scoring market (big circle with a star) on the space indicated. It is right next to the score track.
5. As is typical, discard the played card.
6. End turn.

Does this answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

1. It is your First, Second, or Third Action
2. Remove your Enable scoring card from your hand. Reveal it to others.
3. Resolve the text on the lower half of the card. Do not resolve any of the Move, Build, or Recruit symbols in the top left.
4. To remember that YOU enabled scoring, and to prevent others from doing so, place your Scoring market (big circle with a star) on the space indicated. It is right next to the score track.
5. As is typical, discard the played card.
6. End turn.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks a lot! So if I get it right if I play it as my first action I will get points for territories I own at that time and not during the scoring at the end of the round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Incorrect. You resolve scoring during the scoring phase, which is only resolved if enabled (and always on last round). You only score what you hold at end of round.

Refresh/draw/update initiative
Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:

Hi Mikolaj,

Have you watched the Watch it Played rules explanation for Cry Havoc? They also have a 4 part video series that covers an entire game, if I recall correctly.

All are posted here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

Hi Mikolaj,

Have you watched the Watch it Played rules explanation for Cry Havoc? They also have a 4 part video series that covers an entire game, if I recall correctly.

All are posted here on BGG.

Thanks again for all the help! I have not watched it, I will do so, that's a great idea, hope this will clear things up for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
Incorrect. You resolve scoring during the scoring phase, which is only resolved if enabled (and always on last round). You only score what you hold at end of round.

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

Maybe just one more question - you can enable scoring without that card? I assumed the card just made your scoring better, giving you effectively twice points for territories and then points for crystals for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

Maybe just one more question - you can enable scoring without that card? I assumed the card just made your scoring better, giving you effectively twice points for territories and then points for crystals for everybody.

You must play the card to enable scoring. Except on the last round where it is always enabled, with no additional bonus for anyone for territory control.

There is not a way to "improve" scoring. Definitely give the rules another read and the video a watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

Also, and forgive me for any assumptions, but are you reading the English or Polish rules? If it's the former, you should email Portal to get the Polish rules? I cannot imagine reading complex rules outside of my native tongue.

It seems incredibly difficult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

Also, and forgive me for any assumptions, but are you reading the English or Polish rules? If it's the former, you should email Portal to get the Polish rules? I cannot imagine reading complex rules outside of my native tongue.

I have read Polish rules first, then English rules. Actually English rules are clearer, Polish rules even have a few typos and grammar mistakes. But this one is correctly expressed in both, no doubts, this is just me. With new game my brain blanks on at least one rule and I get it wrong, that's totally normal. Maybe I need to start watching instructional videos instead of learning from rulebooks indeed.
Thanks again and sorry for taking up your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

I have read Polish rules first, then English rules. Actually English rules are clearer, Polish rules even have a few typos and grammar mistakes. But this one is correctly expressed in both, no doubts, this is just me. With new game my brain blanks on at least one rule and I get it wrong, that's totally normal. Maybe I need to start watching instructional videos instead of learning from rulebooks indeed.

You bought my game. I'm here to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Watch It Played videos are very helpful in learning Cry Havoc's rules. While waiting for the game to be available in UK, I re-watched the videos a couple of time.

...on a second thought, re-watching the videos is a form of self torture. I might have to stop that! devilwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

Thanks again. And I can tell you know I will buy the expansions too. Whatever problems I encounter I love this game, I love how grand it feels and how fast it plays, how simple the combat is at first but how intricate when start going deeper into it. This is a design you should be proud of, thank you sir for such a wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

Thanks again. And I can tell you know I will buy the expansions too. Whatever problems I encounter I love this game, I love how grand it feels and how fast it plays, how simple the combat is at first but how intricate when start going deeper into it. This is a design you should be proud of, thank you sir for such a wonderful game!

We're a super proud team and hope it is well received such that we can make more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

We're a super proud team and hope it is well received such that we can make more!

I'm sure it'll be well received, it is really unique and that's pretty hard to do these days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

I have read Polish rules first, then English rules. Actually English rules are clearer, Polish rules even have a few typos and grammar mistakes. :) But this one is correctly expressed in both, no doubts, this is just me. With new game my brain blanks on at least one rule and I get it wrong, that's totally normal. Maybe I need to start watching instructional videos instead of learning from rulebooks indeed. :)

I'm sure it'll be well received, it is really unique and that's pretty hard to do these days :)

I'll add that we rarely see designers answer questions so rapidly... Apart from other designers from Portal (strange ain't it? )
Good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We love what we do, love our customers, and hope that building a relationship with you will pay off long term!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Three actions
Battles
Prisoners
Scoring - if enabled

I have read Polish rules first, then English rules. Actually English rules are clearer, Polish rules even have a few typos and grammar mistakes. :) But this one is correctly expressed in both, no doubts, this is just me. With new game my brain blanks on at least one rule and I get it wrong, that's totally normal. Maybe I need to start watching instructional videos instead of learning from rulebooks indeed. :)

I'm sure it'll be well received, it is really unique and that's pretty hard to do these days :)

I'll add that we rarely see designers answer questions so rapidly... Apart from other designers from Portal (strange ain't it? )
Good job!

Just chiming in, because the pyramid is too cool to resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.