Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
To begin, I wasn't sure which board to post this on, so if it's in the wrong place could someone with the ability to move it move it to the right one, please?

So, the Founders. Leaders of the Dominion. Changelings. Shapeshifters. A vital part of the Dominion hierarchy yet conspicuously absent from Star Trek Attack Wing. If Wizkids ever included Founders in the game, how would you like to see them done?

For me, I don't think I'd like to see them as captains or crew. We've never seen a Founder on a Dominion starship, with the exception of the dying one seen in The Ship, and even then it wasn't really clear if that Founder was the captain, an observer, or just a passenger.

What we mainly see Founders as is either strategic command (think of the Female Changeling on Terok Nor during the Dominion occupation of DS9 or on Cardassia Prime for the remainder of the Dominion War) or infiltrating the enemy. This makes me think that a new card type could be created, possibly called Founder, that you can field regardless of whether you have a Dominion ship or card in your fleet. There could be two or three types: one that affected your fleet like a Resource (representing that they lead from behind the lines), one that could affect the enemy fleet negatively, representing the paranoia that Founder infiltration causes (also like a resource), and/or one that can be deployed on individual enemy ships to give those ships some kind of penalty or have an ability that could somehow be activated to force that ship to do particular things (more like a regular upgrade card).

Also, to represent the paranoia that Founders bring, perhaps this Founder card type could, as a natural part of its card type, always have to be deployed face down, so your opponent knows that there's some kind of Founder infiltration, but doesn't know what's going to happen until you decide to activate it.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think they would probably be equivalent to the Q cards.

That being said, Mostly, I'd see them as admirals, but I could see them as dual faction crew, captain, or admiral cards. I suppose they could be tech too.

An instance of this would be Changeling Bashere, who would be dual faction Dominion/Federation, and would give some sort of tech/weapon bonus.

The third way I could think of it would be as generic Dominion Crew who could be discarded to steal a crew card, or Possibly to disable an opposing crew and deal some sort of penalty(an aux card, drop a shield, etc) to the ship that crew is on to represent a changeling infiltrating the opposing ship. this might be harder to find an appropriate cost for, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
MaskedThespian wrote:
Also, to represent the paranoia that Founders bring, perhaps this Founder card type could, as a natural part of its card type, always have to be deployed face down, so your opponent knows that there's some kind of Founder infiltration, but doesn't know what's going to happen until you decide to activate it.

I really like this idea, having the Founder card as a almost resource like item that provides a fleet buff/debuff or other such one shot shenanigans (such as lure or thought maker).

Wizkids could probably get a OP event out of that, much in the same way the four Q cards were used for an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did see the female founder acting as an Admiral on board a Jem H'Dar ship during the 2nd Battle of Chin'Toka. I would picture the Founders as admorals or something similar to a resource that can be used by any ship in the fleet. They should have abilities like the two versions of Odo we have. They should also allow Jem H'Dar crew to be reused or used as free Actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see them being used as an Admiral type card, but possible as a resource (to limit their use).

Give them the ability to mimic the abilities of any other captain or crew card in play at the time (or something along those lines). Or maybe a pick any three cards up to x amount of points and put them face down under the Founder and at any point in the game they can mimic that person and gain their abilities.

In the very least, they should provide some sort of bonus to friendly Jem'Hadar and Vorta as they would fight considerable harder due to the moral boost of being in the presence of a god.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracomax wrote:
The third way I could think of it would be as generic Dominion Crew who could be discarded to steal a crew card, or Possibly to disable an opposing crew and deal some sort of penalty(an aux card, drop a shield, etc) to the ship that crew is on to represent a changeling infiltrating the opposing ship. this might be harder to find an appropriate cost for, though.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe an "at the start of the game, secretly choose one of your opponent's crew" and at any time, you can discard that card and sabotage its ship in some way (Aux, crit, disable a captain or crew...)

...Or, yeah, an admiral.

Ender02 wrote:
In the very least, they should provide some sort of bonus to friendly Jem'Hadar and Vorta as they would fight considerable harder due to the moral boost of being in the presence of a god.

Ooh, I like this. Of course, if it's discarded or its ship is destroyed, there should be consequences... devil

Also, to be honest, I've been pretty disappointed with the Odos they've given us. Odo can shapeshift into people and get their skills? Because...that's how his shapeshifting works? And for that matter Odo can even impersonate solids in the first place? Um?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Female Changeling definately needs to be an Admiral. Hopefully we get her on a new cruiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.