Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

As a recent newcomer to this series, I have gotten (or have coming) all the big and small box expansions plus, of course, the base game.

I doubt I am the only one who has this particular foible, but I like to keep all my components in pristine condition.

That means sleeving the cards and the hero sheets, taking care when handling the tiles etc., and ... well, the printed material such as the rules/quest & campaign guides.

Fortunately, with the exception of the Chains of Rust expansion, all the rules are available for download from FFG.

That leaves the quest/campaign guides. Over the course of repeated plays, they are sure to be handled a lot. I looked for these on the FFG website, but in vain.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what am I missing here? In particular, why are there no pdf downloads for Heirs of Blood? Is it because one can elect to buy the printed book version?

The Heirs of Blood campaign guides come with the base game, and it would be much more convenient to be able to download them to my tablet or print them out so that the printed guides with the game retained their condition.

The same goes for the guides that come with the expansion.

What are FFG afraid of here? That we will try to play the campaigns without buying the expansions?

No doubt someone will point out the idiocy of my logic, but I really do not know why such material cannot be downloaded.

PS I suppose I could always have them scanned and converted to a PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
FFG keeps some information out of the hands of the general public to protect their IP. Quest guides are and have always been a major part of that information. There is no official support for providing quest guides as PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I always felt this was a really silly move by FGG. Unless at some point they were planning to publish 'campaign only' books without additional tiles etc, having the campaigns secret doesn't make much sense in terms of the gameplay.

Quests are open information, even more than the rules, they are something that all players need access to and should have their own copy of prior to any game session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the quests are about the only component the isn't easily proxied. Thanks to things like vassal or tabletop simulator physical components aren't a hurdle. Sure you could use the fan created quests from FFG's website but they can vary in quality. Makes sense they need to keep something in check otherwise why would you ever buy the product?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Well the quests are about the only component the isn't easily proxied. Thanks to things like vassal or tabletop simulator physical components aren't a hurdle. Sure you could use the fan created quests from FFG's website but they can vary in quality. Makes sense they need to keep something in check otherwise why would you ever buy the product?

I respect the point you are making, but I come down in support of the point made above that it does seem a rather silly move by FFG. If we say that there would be no reason to buy the product as all other components are easily found outside of buying the base game itself, then for £13 here in the UK you can buy the campaign guide from the base game, thereby saving £50. (As regards Vassal, doesn't FFG insist that the card text is left out so that players must own a physical product?).

Anyways, a printed campaign game can be scanned using OCR software. (I would do that if I had a scanner, so as to preserve the printed copy in its original condition).

Personally, I do not believe making the quest pages available as a download on their site would eat away at their profits/sales of the game.

That said, many thanks to all you gentlemen who have replied to my little tantrum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.