Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'd be easier to upload a picture than to write'em all:

This is my small collection. Not featured is Power Grid, which I'm very fond of, but which I haven't played in a while.

I play mostly 2-player games.

Favorites: Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Seasons

Least favorite: Star Realms - the only acquisition I regret. I cannot stress how much I hate this game!

Girlfriend's favorites: Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Catan, Power Grid

Girlfriend's least favorite: Keyflower

I'm thinking about getting Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game (which I guess we'll both love) and Suburbia (which I hope she'll like). I also don't know whether I should get Suburbia or go for some Eldritch Horror expansions (haven't played it yet, but we both read the rulebook and we cannot wait to try it).

Other recommendations? What games do you think we'll both enjoy?

Thanks .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying our GF's are automatically the same, but my GF wasn't a fan of how much info she had to keep track of in Suburbia and the money and population track. With that said, she absolutely loves Castles of Mad King Ludwig and in all honesty they are very similar games. I still love Suburbia and I'm sure we will get back to it in the future but I have no problem playing Castles if she prefers it. We even traded off our original copy and bought the Polish edition with the fancy art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great suggestion! It goes on the list (though she likes keeping track of things so if anything she will enjoy that aspect of Suburbia).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just curious, what is it about Keyflower that she doesn't like? Also, what is it about Legendary that you enjoy so much(I also really like Marvel Legendary)?

Edit: I'm jealous of your Fantastic Four expansion. Silver Surfer is my favourite Comic Book character so I would love to get to play with him. I would like to try Silver Surfer, Storm, Professor X, and a fourth character that would compliment the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Least favorite: Star Realms - the only acquisition I regret. I cannot stress how much I hate this game!

I hated it at first too. Give it another go in a few weeks, and try to take a different approach on it. Your expectations might differ from the game has to offer. You might want to get Star Realms: Gambit Set for the two cooperative cards. It's not great, but it's better as a couple game (speaking from experience)

You seem to like deckbuilders, and cooperative deckbuilders.

Try Aeon's End in November. To me, this game is just a monster.

You like superheroes and coop. But your GF doesn't like tracking. Take a look at Sentinels of the Multiverse anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She finds Keyflower a little dull, though she likes the bidding mechanics.
We love almost anything about Legendary - from theme to the keywords to the fact that it has a very nice mat and a very nice board to how fast-paced and challenging it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End seems intriguing. I don't think we'll like Sentinels of the Multiverse, it looks too simple and I don't quite like the artwork. I didn't say that she does not like tracking, quite the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
She finds Keyflower a little dull, though she likes the bidding mechanics.
We love almost anything about Legendary - from theme to the keywords to the fact that it has a very nice mat and a very nice board to how fast-paced and challenging it is.

If she likes the bidding mechanic you guys may enjoy that aspect of Castles which Suburbia doesn't have. I won't explain it but it def makes for some tough choices and some additional strategy to keep in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Aeon's End seems intriguing. I don't think we'll like Sentinels of the Multiverse, it looks too simple and I don't quite like the artwork. I didn't say that she does not like tracking, quite the opposite.

The mechanics are simple (play a card, use a power, draw a card). The game really isn't. Lots of targets, lots of damage redirection and modification, a lot of choice to be made, and some support are pretty tough to master. The expansions really make the game shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Mystic Vale. Great artwork. Very fun, 30-45 minutes, almost simultaneous player. Its a deck building game where the cards in your deck grow based on enhancements that you choose and buy with mana earned from your deck.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194607/mystic-vale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
xN1NJA_TURTLESx wrote:
Try Mystic Vale. Great artwork. Very fun, 30-45 minutes, almost simultaneous player. Its a deck building game where the cards in your deck grow based on enhancements that you choose and buy with mana earned from your deck.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194607/mystic-vale

I have it. It can feel very long between your turns. If you have only two cards in your field, push and spoil with only one more cards, but in the meantime your opponent has tons of discard and growth symbol when they push, you're in for a long wait.

I still like the game. But simultaneous turn is something I don't feel is true about it. It's a multiplayer solitaire game that can lead to a lot of downtime, but a good and enjoyable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, a two player game that might trigger both your interest would maybe be

7 Wonders Duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think you should try Eldritch Horror before you buy something new. I really wanted so much to like EH but I just can't get on with the mechanics of it. But, if you do find you like it you will probably want expansions as you'll want more than 4 different elder ones to battle against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised at how much you despise Star Realms as they have very similar mechanics. It was likely the head to head aspect that you didn't like.

Other deck builders to consider, since that seems to be your main cup of tea.

Dominion - the original deck builder. Many have played enough of this game to dislike it, but if you have never played it then it is a really solid deck building experience to try out.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game - tons of content and honestly the closest predecessor to Legendary. Check out the free apps to see if it interests you. (Granted the art is really meh.)

Thunderstone - out of print, but great fantasy themed deck builder. If you can get a copy of one of the Thunderstone Advance sets than even better for you. Rumor has it that there might be a third printing.

DC Comics Deck-Building Game - not as good as legendary, but if you are into Legendary because of the comic book setting it is worth giving it a shot.

Machi Koro - more of an engine building game, but similar feel to Dominion.

Non-Deck Building Games to Look at

Splendor is popular and scales well. Not my favorite game, but most who have played this title enjoy it.

+1 to 7 Wonders Duel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
Surprised at how much you despise Star Realms as they have very similar mechanics. It was likely the head to head aspect that you didn't like.

Other deck builders to consider, since that seems to be your main cup of tea.

Dominion - the original deck builder. Many have played enough of this game to dislike it, but if you have never played it then it is a really solid deck building experience to try out.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game - tons of content and honestly the closest predecessor to Legendary. Check out the free apps to see if it interests you. (Granted the art is really meh.)

Thunderstone - out of print, but great fantasy themed deck builder. If you can get a copy of one of the Thunderstone Advance sets than even better for you. Rumor has it that there might be a third printing.

DC Comics Deck-Building Game - not as good as legendary, but if you are into Legendary because of the comic book setting it is worth giving it a shot.

Machi Koro - more of an engine building game, but similar feel to Dominion.

Non-Deck Building Games to Look at

Splendor is popular and scales well. Not my favorite game, but most who have played this title enjoy it.

+1 to 7 Wonders Duel

I actually find the Ascension art outstanding up to and including Realms Unraveled.

Machi Koro is a dice-rolling game that is very luck-driven and very frustrating. I wouldn't consider it as a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmb
I have a couple suggestions I think you both will like a lot. Voyages of Marco Polo is fantastic, Troyes, or Viticulture. Either one i think you will like. My wife enjoys all three with probably Marco probably the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched some playthroughs of Mystic Vale and in its current form it is not our cup of tea. As someone has already said, it is too much like a multiplayer solitaire game. I'm going to wait for the expansion to see whether it makes the game more interactive.

I am reluctant to try another 2-player only game based on the Star Realm debacle..but 7 wonders duel might be a future purchase if we get the chance to try it before we buy and see that we might enjoy it.

I do not mind PvP games - I hate Star Realms because I found it too long for what it has to offer. I might give it another try, but the first 2 games have been huge disappointments.

I am not intereted in Dominion, Ascension, Machi Koro, DC Comics, Splendor. Thunderstone indeed is a game that I really want to buy, but I will wait for the third edition as the prices for the 2nd edition are indecently high.

While I do not want to try Troyes or Viticulture, Voyages of Marco Polo has been on my mind for a while! Is it really that good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun: Crossfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Mage Knight Board Game? It may be a bit too long for you, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Mage Knight is best for solo games, and I do not play solo so if that information is right I won't get it...+ it is very expensive in my country.

I will get 2 Eldrich Horror expansions for starters. I love the game! it's slowly becoming my 2nd favorite game after Legendary!

Future acquisitions: Cry Havoc, other Eldritch Horror expansions, Voyages of Marco Polo, Legendary Encounters Aliens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get this week Legendary Encounters Aliens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.