Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played a 4P game of FiS. Everyone liked the game putting aside the "take that" used on each other.

We (more like I) messed up two items:

Missed the you start with a Mansion in a location of your choosing and during clean up at end of Era reconstituting the deck. The latter came as a bit of "am I missing cards?" since we used the decks only in the Era you were in - so third Era had only 17 cards making the City Planner obsolete (yes, I know Wade holds that position in reality)...

We had to go into the rule book with some frequency as I had only one read through and had not made a summary rule set to help out. Occasionally, the italicized note made things more clear than the rule itself.

We ended up with a 50+ point spread from 1st to 4th player. From observation, taking a more balanced approach seemed to work best as my industry heavy play earned me a 3rd place. Also, one needs to pay very close attention to the Headline cards - both as you play them - for effect and timing - and how to leverage them.

We had only one Riot - which cost me 8 VP and 2 Factories - I had a bit of a bulls-eye on my back, I guess.

We ran about 4 hours, double the stated time but that should drop considerably on a subsequent play.

All in all we had a good time and everyone really liked the game.

Finally, I was really thrilled when this hit KS as I had contact with Wade when it was still Adobe, Stone and Steel. Great design. YEAH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LHIM wrote:
We had only one Riot - which cost me 8 VP and 2 Factories - I had a bit of a bulls-eye on my back, I guess.
Ah, the dreaded bullseye. I have learned the hard way that bursting out of the gate in the first Era with a ton of VPs can earn the wrath of your opponents. angry

I like to focus on late game tactics and banking power cards for the 2nd and the 3rd Era. I will usually save those for the last few cards in the 2nd Era then start unleashing industrial age terror on my opponents.

LHIM wrote:
We ran about 4 hours, double the stated time but that should drop considerably on a subsequent play.

That sounds about right for a learning game especially with 4 players.

LHIM wrote:
All in all we had a good time and everyone really liked the game.

Finally, I was really thrilled when this hit KS as I had contact with Wade when it was still Adobe, Stone and Steel. Great design. YEAH

Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your play session! I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to see the first session report and thanks for the post. I'm glad people enjoyed it and yes I must admit the first game is like learning a heavy Euro, with 4 it's just 3-4 hours from scratch. After the first round there is usually an ah ha moment and things move ahead. When learning with someone else who has played, the time goes down, but what I enjoy is that the AP is shared. You all concoct your plans together at the beginning of the turn and then you really just adapt from there. the For Sale style SAS also helped to move things along.

As for the 'take that' aspect it's really needed but what I've found that if you just do that you are not building house holdings or investments and you tend to just lose while being mean, the worst kind of dead. 'Take that' plays have to coincide with other positive territory building efforts and synergy move set ups! I hope you're having some delicious decisions!

Thanks Again,
Wade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit annoyed my first game didn't have any riots. Players kept playing cards that removed cubes or prevented the riots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
I was a bit annoyed my first game didn't have any riots. Players kept playing cards that removed cubes or prevented the riots

Riots are tricky like that. I would have to lean on Wade to verify, but I think we have had games with no riots up to 3 riots! The average seems to be 1 to 2 per game, though. It is hard to gauge because certain play styles lean more towards playing fast and loose with the Unrest Track. While other players are hesitant to add Unrest or like Garry experienced numerous cards clearing Unrest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luish Moraes Coelho
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing. I am really looking forward to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.