GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
DFL is Minnesota's version of the Democratic party. Is this a legal version of voter suppression? Personally, I think it is bogus and makes the party look petty. Serves the party rather than the people.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-dfl-asks-state-supreme-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
That's silly. These shenanigans are stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What goes around comes around.

Yes it is undemocratic, but then so are all the tactics used by the GOP to keep Hillary out.

Maybe it is time to stop trying to use the law to fix elections and engage in politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
DFL is Minnesota's version of the Democratic party. Is this a legal version of voter suppression? Personally, I think it is bogus and makes the party look petty. Serves the party rather than the people.

While somewhat petty it is not in fact voter suppression, it is stupid suppression. The party failed to follow the law. Was the law newly written or amended? If so I could see an appeal on that(not sure how much weight it would carry with a judge) otherwise, the R party in MN shouldn't have run a shoddy convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Yes it is undemocratic, but then so are all the tactics used by the GOP to keep Hillary out.

Maybe it is time to stop trying to use the law to fix elections and engage in politics.

Hello. Anyone home?

The GOP is actively helping Hillary, and undermining Trump, dipshit.

This election is the people vs the Washington establishment.
Ohh sorry my mistake I assumed that all those people saying she is a criminal and so is not eligible opposed her. I suppose they are not the Republican party, fair enough.

I also thought they claimed not to support Trump, nice it has been made clear they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Looks to me like the republicans fucked up.
They did, by their own admission. Regardless, if the Democratic party is fighting against democracy... it just looks bad and Trump has a snowball's chance in hell of winning Minnesota anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

I think its hilarious that you think Trump represents the people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

I think it is utterly beyond comprehension he thinks Trump is not as much part of the washignton system as the people he buys influence with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

Kind of interesting that none of the NeverTrumpers weigh in on this type of claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
They did, by their own admission. Regardless, if the Democratic party is fighting against democracy... it just looks bad and Trump has a snowball's chance in hell of winning Minnesota anyway.

Agree that this is rather silly, but I imagine the political thinking behind it is that without Trump on the ballot fewer GOP voters will bother. It's ugly, hardball politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Agree that this is rather silly, but I imagine the political thinking behind it is that without Trump on the ballot fewer GOP voters will bother. It's ugly, hardball politics.

It's also precisely what the GOP would be doing had Minnesota DFL made the same rookie mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republican Party of Minnesota fucked up, but Trump and Pence should still be on the ballot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Elfbane wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

It's also precisely what the GOP would be doing had Minnesota DFL made the same rookie mistake.
It is precisely what they are doing with most of the "voter fraud" which is in fact just procedural errors and otehr cock ups.

As I said, this is them being hoist with their own petard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

Make sure you vote against your current Representative and Senator then. Because those two have been part of the establishment for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

Corporations are people, 'member?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

Kind of interesting that none of the NeverTrumpers weigh in on this type of claim.

Because Koldie has just become background noise. The sheer weight of his lunacy has worn down any effort to correct his overwhelming wrongness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

I think it's hilarious that you think Hillary represents anyone but herself.
She does not, she represents her pay masters (one of whom is Trump).

But as far as I know one of her major campaign messages has not been "vote for me, I am not part of the Washington machine". Nor have an of the "neverClintons" ever used her lack of "Washington insiderness" as a reason for her success (or a reason to vote for her).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Hello. Anyone home?

I think it's hilarious that you think Hillary represents anyone but herself.

I've never said that Hillary represents the people.

It is interesting that everytime Trump is criticized you jump in to criticize Hillary. You seem awfully defensive of someone you hate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mrspank wrote:
The Republican Party of Minnesota fucked up, but Trump and Pence should still be on the ballot.

I agree with Mrs. Pank. It's a waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:

Heh...what a shenanigan.

Hope they're denied and then forced to pay court costs.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that he should be on the ballot. I am always in support of making the voting count as many people's opinions as possible.

I also agree that Trump's campaign really dropped the ball making sure the GOP was taking care of the details; it isn't that hard to make a list and make sure everyone is doing what they should.

It's both on the Minnesota GOP and Trump campaign. And, if you feel the Minnesota GOP may be hostile, that only gives more reason to make sure they are doing what they should.

As far as the law itself:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=208.03

And, you can see when alternatives were added here: (so 2015)
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/laws/?id=70&year=2015&type=0

And, since their congress is split (senate has Democrat majority and House has Republican majority), it would have had to have been approved by both at a time it was split.

It has been split for about 2 years when Democrats had control of both - but that would be 2014.

So, it means both Republicans and Democrats passed it, and definitely were both aware.

As a side note, both houses were GOP majority in 2012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To be clear though, the reason for this law was sound.

The major parties get the benefit of doing this instead of requiring signatures to get onto the ballot. In lieu of that, they nominate electors and alternates at their delegate conventions.

I can understand why they'd want alternates in case something happened to the electors; it is practical and makes sense. It's better to have a mechanism on the books to handle it than nothing so this was a good thing.

They did have a similar mechanism in 208.06 before, but it makes sense to require the delegate convention to select them so they can effectively be done the same way as electors (since they may in fact become the electors).

The law itself is not bad. What is bad is that the GOP either forgot to do this.

It is typically not going to be an issue. They just have to select alternates when they select electors; someone just forgot to update their process.

The issue is what to do when you don't obey the law for something as important as this. Is the will of the people (to vote) more important or following your laws?

If there is a way around the law, I'd support it (for the reason I stated above), but I also do not want to dictate how a state runs their elections.

Has any presidential nominee ever been left off the ballot for missing a deadline in the past?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Hey now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mrspank wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
mrspank wrote:

Hey now!

You have no idea how long I've wanting to do that....

Mrs. Pank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:

More than Hillary does by a mega bunch....

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.