$35.00
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I must say I love those two new objectives Epic Napoleonics has added:

Breakthrough Objective (new)
When a player’s Victory Banner objective requires his forces to achieve a Breakthrough, each unit that exits the battlefield from an opponent’s baseline hex, gains that player one Permanent Victory Banner. To exit, the unit must be ordered and move off the battlefield. A unit must start its turn on an opponent’s baseline hex to exit off the battlefield and thereby gain a Permanent Victory Banner.

Time Pressure Objective (new)
When Time Pressure rules are in effect against the attacker, the defending player, after playing a “Scout (Left, Centre or Right)” Command card, may take a Permanent Victory Banner and draw one Command card instead of drawing two Command cards at the end of his turn. Taking a Permanent Victory Banner, instead of drawing two Command cards is not allowed, if doing so would give the player his final Victory Banner to win the battle.

What I like with those two rules is how simple they are to implement and understand even for a new player. I find them "elegant" if I may say so.

However, I've noticed both those rules are not used that frequently.
Breakthrough is used in:
Epic Möckern
Epic Eggmuhl
Epic Orthez

and Time Pressure is only used in:
Epic Raab

So, only 4 scenarios on 20 of the new expansion.

And I was wondering about two "variants" about them as they seem quite fun:

1 Want a fast-paced game? Use Breakthrough and Time Pressure in all scenarios/any scenario you want!

After all, in most if not all of the battles, a breakthrough was an important objective and there was some sort of time pressure (nightfall, reinforcements for the defender) for the attacker.

So, why not use both rules in all/most scenarios after all?

Pros:
- Kind of realistic;
- Makes for faster game with no possibility of a side "stalling" the other thanks to the Time Pressure;
- Forces to make sure there isn't a section which crumbles entirely as otherwise the breakthrough becomes possible.

Cons:
- May not be suited for all scenarios, some of them already have some sort of time pressure or breakthrough mechanics. Also, some unbalanced scenarios are so quick that adding these rules won't change the result.
- May encourage the defender not to take any chance.

2 Want to make some of the unbalanced scenarios less historical but more balanced? Use the Breakthrough and Time Pressure objectives in them!

Basically, the addition of those two rules are used in scenarios with 10%/90% wins so that an attacker may be rewared by making a breakthrough and a defender by, well, defending as long as possible!

Pros:
- May help some scenarios which are historical but not that fun if you like balanced scenarios;
- Some of the points already stated in option 1.

Cons:
- May not help some/most scenarios maybe?

Anyway guys, those variant ideas are just a thought and I'd love to know what you think about those two new objective mechanics. They seem very interesting to me and I'm looking forward to see them in action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much like Time Pressure to replace Guerrilla Markers, which I always found could be gamed.

EDIT
Actually Gamed isn't the right term, that the GM kind of broke the I go, U go balance of the game. However, once you see the Artillery charge your lines using La Grande Manoeuvre, the GM played, and then Bombard, you start to question the mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These two rules are not new - they exist in The Great War. Along with the second deck, further evidence of standardisation across the C&C family.

So looking forward to a second deck for C&C:A and Campaign books for C&C:N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I understand, they're new to me as I only play Napoleonics though.

However I wouldn't mind a campaign book for CCN!

Are there really "campaigns" in CCA? With one battle influencing the next one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Bringing back this topic, do you think time pressure/breakthrough can allow for faster games/help unbalanced scenarios (by giving time pressure to the side with an obvious advantage for instance? Although it may be too simple to be effective)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:
Bringing back this topic, do you think time pressure/breakthrough can allow for faster games/help unbalanced scenarios (by giving time pressure to the side with an obvious advantage for instance? Although it may be too simple to be effective)?

I think it could be a really good way to help rebalance some of the very lopsided scenarios. Sometimes though they're unbalanced in way these won't help with, but maybe the approach can help come up with novel ways to rebalance.

Would be good, like they did with Tactician Cards, to reprint the existing scenarios with some of these conditions applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the "Courier Rack" mechanism borrowed from the old First Edition Multiplayer Expansion of Battle Lore, this mechanic from ]The Great War shows the synergy in design between different C&C games. C&C Napoleonics is rumored to be Richard Borg's favorite, and as such may turn out to be the ultimate in C&C gaming. One way is the introduction of some of his favorite mechanics from other versions into this later version of CCN.

But with all the new Borg designs coming out fast and furious, I'm afraid we fans will have to be the ones to suggest the "retconning" of Race Against Time into the older scenarios. As we first have to absorb the new Expansion, this may take some time. But Bravo to anyone who wishes to attempt it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.