GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,272 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom» Forums » General

Subject: Poster Maps - why so pricey? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi all,

I'm about to get into the Tactics side of the Multiverse and I'm excited!

Being the completionist I am, though, makes me want the poster maps. Why were they $20 in the KS, but now $20 each? Seems like a strange leap! Not sure how to justify their purchase.

Thanks,
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno about the KS pricing. Could be a special deal for the backers who helped get it off the ground; I've seen that in a few I've participated in.

At this point, keep an eye out on the market and auctions. I managed to score the set for $5 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that there were originally going to be scenarios with each map. These scenarios do not exist yet, and it is unclear if or when those will be made available - and until then, there's not much use to the maps apart from home-grown scenarios, or (probably difficult-to-balance) skirmishes.

Additionally, they're in the middle of redesigning Sentinel Tactics for the next base set - it may make more sense to wait for the redesign. There will be a compatibility set available that will allow you to use the existing characters going forward, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Woah! Those scenarios never came out? That's a bit... Icky. I always imagined GtG to be the sort that delivers on their campaign promises, eventually!

I know about Prime War, but Omnitron and Legacy are by far my favourite characters available in either set, so I definitely lean towards starting with FoF!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the scenarios will come out someday, in some form. I just think GtG is more focused on OblivAeon, Prime War, and a lot of other things before that - which seems reasonable.

Knowing the future of the game, I have no regrets about getting the original base set, expansion, and miniatures, but the maps are just sitting around, unused, taking up a surprising amount of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
They can be played on without the Scenarios, right? are they interesting at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's certainly nothing stopping you, but they don't have much in the way of elevation changes, or the advantages of being modular like the tiles. IIRC, there are unique map interactions on them, but nothing all that interesting.

As a completionist myself, and a pretty obsessive SotM fan, I would suggest skipping the maps at least for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The poster maps are certainly not a must have. They have a couple of nice features: Quick to set up and no risk of coming apart during play. Not that the tiles are particularly slow or particularly likely to come apart.

There were some draft scenarios for the maps released to playtesters, but I think that project got put on hold until after the design evolution for Prime War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
They are interesting to play with, but not very well balanced for the 3v3 skirmishes, so they don't hold a ton of value unless you play non-official game modes.

The poster map scenarios ended up not working on the maps themselves (the original promise) they took up too much space, hampered the map design and just didn't look right.

So they sent the maps to print and then we started play testing the scenarios with the plan we would get them done and release the scenarios with the maps.

Then the feedback that led to the taking the game back into development came in and they started working on how to improve Tactics.

Everything but that got put on hold.

Those map scenarios will come out, just not until Prime War is out, so that it can follow along with any rules changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmacfarlane wrote:
I believe the scenarios will come out someday, in some form. I just think GtG is more focused on OblivAeon, Prime War, and a lot of other things before that - which seems reasonable.

I'm not so optimistic since the scenarios were supposed to already exist, so all it would take is posting them up to the website. For that matter, even if they didn't exist, I would think they could have taken the time to work out some scenarios and post them just to fulfill their existing commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
bmacfarlane wrote:

I'm not so optimistic since the scenarios were supposed to already exist, so all it would take is posting them up to the website. For that matter, even if they didn't exist, I would think they could have taken the time to work out some scenarios and post them just to fulfill their existing commitment.

Don't completely give up hope. We've seen the poster map scenarios in the playtester forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
bmacfarlane wrote:

Literally just got an email from Craig this morning about this. The scenarios are coming out, and will be in a digital format. They have not forgotten about it.

Pure speculation on my part, I imagine Geoff B is right and they are waiting til the rules conversion to not have to release them then re-release them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.