Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
I am following the directions on the thread about how to create one, but when I try to link to the video I want in the list (assuming it is a 'thread' that I am adding), the number in the thread doesn't come up with the link that I want. Is a link to a video not, in fact, a 'thread' link?
The only other choices (file, GeekList, board game, family, accessory, etc.) don't seem right and when I choose them don't produce the right link either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
mb
A video is its own type of database item. It's not a thread, nor a file, geeklist, or any of the other available options.

You can add a video item to a geeklist, but it's only supported by the technology, not by the user interface.

What you can do, is to use your browser's development tools to change the behaviour of one of the existing options, changing the onclick handler from "NewItem('oldtype', geeklistid); return false;" to "NewItem('video', geeklistid); return false;" and then clicking it.

That allows you to enter a videoid, and seems to work, although the resulting output is pretty ugly, with a video thumbnail showing up in the header of the geeklist item:

It's probably more useful to link the geeklist item to the game (or person, or other containing DB item), and then insert a geeklink to the video (and/or the video itself) in the comments block for that item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very detailed response. Since the GeekList is meant to be a list of videos, I'm going to try to do what you suggest first though that does seem complicated. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think adding the game as an item and putting a video link in the "body" of the item is the better solution. It is the only way to make your geeklist show up in the geeklist section of the game page.

(This area: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/156496/march-ants/geekli...]

You can then insert the video like this:

Edit: If you click "quote" on a post, it shows you the code how it was done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:

I have the game as an item but am still lost on how you inserted that screen shot as an item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two examples of video geeklists, to give you some ideas:

Game Reviews by SingleHandedWarfare has text links, which probably makes it load faster.

Video Reviews by Starlit Citadel has the videos embedded, like I suggested above. More convenient to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
marble911 wrote:

I have the game as an item but am still lost on how you inserted that screen shot as an item...

Did you try "quoting" my post to see the code?

You can also click the little red "Tube" button (same line as bold, italics, underlined) etc. when you are working on the geeklist item, and then it prompts you for the youtube ID (just the number/letter combination, not the full link).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:

Did you try "quoting" my post to see the code?

Ahhhhhh... I was being thick and didn't understand what you meant but now I do, and I did, and it worked. Thank you so much !
Thanks too to a_traveler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you all of you for helping me create this GeekList about my videos. Much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.