Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roeland
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mb
Fantasy flight just posted this on their website: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-pa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or did the FFG announcement of their Terrinoth based miniatures game effectively trigger a clause in the agreement that allowed GW to exit the agreement? It could well be that there was a non-compete clause between FFG and GW in the miniatures market. I expect we will never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
It could well be that there was a non-compete clause between FFG and GW in the miniatures market.

Considering that FFG had both the X-Wing and Armada miniatures for while, I don't suspect that is the case.

The rumor is that GW wanted to bring tabletop gaming development back in-house, because people would rather buy Warhammer and 40k themed board/card games instead of hundreds of expensive resin minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
Or did the FFG announcement of their Terrinoth based miniatures game effectively trigger a clause in the agreement that allowed GW to exit the agreement? It could well be that there was a non-compete clause between FFG and GW in the miniatures market. I expect we will never know.

Conquest development stopped a long time before that announcement, so I highly doubt it's related. I think Danwarr is probably right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:

I suspect they knew they were losing GW, so they developed their own line of miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
I think this is driven from Games Workshop:

1) Their recent announcement that they're going to rebirth their board game division.

2) The fact that FFG have been releasing new products (or editions) until fairly recently (Forbidden Stars, the revamped Fury of Dracula and Warhammer Quest Card Game spring to mind). You don't spend all that development time on something like Forbidden Stars if you think you're going to get 1~2 print runs out of it.

I wonder if FFG found out about GW's direction towards the back end of last year, giving them time to say, "stuff it then! Let's create our own miniatures games".

Obviously, it could simply be to do with Azmodee's acquisition of FFG that fundamentally changed their high-level strategy.

Of course, I doubt we'll ever know the real reason. It's just a pity as it means we have one less brand of products coming out of FFG. If it means more content within the Runebound universe or even better a new brand is born then cool. However, if it means more Star Wars (and believe me, I like Star Wars) I'm going to have to reach for the sick bucket.

Also, up until know, I've been serious unimpressed with GW's boardgame output. They're thinly veiled attempts to get people to buy their plastic crack really rub me up the wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Collins
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So no FS expansion then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nir barzvi
msg tools
i really wanted an expansion ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. Damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if FFG could sell the game to GW in the future for a 2nd edition/reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
However, if it means more Star Wars (and believe me, I like Star Wars) I'm going to have to reach for the sick bucket.

I agree with everything else you said, but this in particular...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
i guess i should finally decide whether to get the Warhammer Quest card game or Blood Bowl Team Manager then... hmmmm...

this sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn gonna have to convince the missus that forbidden stars is needed before prices go sky high on eBay shame won't be any expansions any time soon for it also ( was one of the reasons I was holding off )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At least I can now tell people for certain that here will sadly be no more Forbidden Stars :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
So, who actually owns the game design? Honestly if they just took FS and rethemed it for Terrinoth I'd be fine with it. That way they could keep tacking stuff on with no worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
So, who actually owns the game design?

According to the copyright information in the FS rulebook, everything is owned by Games Workshop — including the game itself apparently — and is published under license to FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you think this will be OOP? or redone with another theme by FFG? or supported be GW?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Nunesh wrote:
So do you think this will be OOP? or redone with another theme by FFG? or supported be GW?

No good things are abandoned along the way, I think. My guess is that from the divorce we'll see some really cool things, with both companies developing their lines independently. More options, more games, more freedom, and competition so that each house knows they have to bring in their A game. Really, really curious to see what comes next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
So, who actually owns the game design? Honestly if they just took FS and rethemed it for Terrinoth I'd be fine with it. That way they could keep tacking stuff on with no worry.

You can't own a game design. So no one.

(Though I suppose FFG may have signed a deal that agreed to not use the same mechanisms in a future, rethemed game. That'd be incredibly stupid for them to do, but I suppose they could have.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Hejtman
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Sad, fortunately FS is great game even without expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF GW continues the game and releases expansions for it I'd buy them..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nunesh wrote:

Theoretically, it could be all three of those:

Forbidden Stars as you know it (with the art, minis, etc.) could go OOP. It doesn't have to if GW truly does "own" the name and the game itself, but it certainly could.

FFG could easily re-skin the game within the Twilight Imperium or Terrinoth universes and make and support that game going forward.

GW could abandon Forbidden Stars as it is currently made and make their own 'new' (2nd ed-ish) version of the game with new minis, new art, and a $200 MSRP.

I don't know how likely any of those are, but they are all distinct possibilities based on this split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
What matters most is to raid the stores for FS before it goes OOP.

Which is already happening...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mouser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridel wrote:
What matters most is to raid the stores for FS before it goes OOP.

Which is already happening...

Lol, well FS is sold out at 401games in Toronto and greatboardgames already (maybe that happened before?) and there is one copy at boardgamebliss.

I've been looking at getting FS and Fury of Dracula for a while. I just ordered them both. Plus the WHQ character packs. Tempted to get the disk wars expansions, but I don't imagine a rush on those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So one thing I thought of with the most recent precedent set from the lawsuit of a game mechanic can't be copyrighted.

So if GW owns the IP and the art, there is nothing stopping them from essentially putting out the same product except with a Game Workshop label. Because the Art is the only thing that can be copyrighted. (which GW owns).

GW could hire back the folks that FFG let go, and boom Forbidden stars is right back from where it started from and with a possible expansion.

It is a long shot, but GW could do it and has the skull throne lawyers to back it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.